Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mansfield Towns new training and conference centre
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 278 Guests

Mansfield Towns new training and conference centre

This thread currently has 4,853 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
White_shorts
August 24, 2020, 4:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Plenty of businesses less than a mile away that could open their car parks every other Saturday. Redeveloping BP seems to get shot down but I don't know why it can't be considered?

Extend the Findus to span the full length of the pitch and that will give us additional capacity whilst rebuilding the Main and Osmond stands.

I assume the upper Findus did not cover the full length of the pitch when built in 1982 due to the close proximity of housing. That situation has not changed.

Extending the lower Findus and Main Stand would increase the capacity of Blundell Park to around 11k. While that is arguably sufficient for League One and Two, the club ought to have ambition to play in the Championship.

It would be absolute madness to build new stands at BP when there is a STADIUM-SIZED PLOT OF LAND AT FREEMAN STREET.

I have looked at Google satellite images, and there appears to be enough space at Freemo for the Pontoon, Main and Osmond Stands to be doubled in size from pitch to street. That should equate to at least 7,000 more seats, as well as providing a footprint for community facilities.

Mr Fenty has said many times that the club needs regular non-matchday income to survive.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
ska face
August 24, 2020, 4:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from White_shorts

IThat should equate to at least 7,000 more seats, as well as providing a footprint for community facilities.

Such as?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
jamesgtfc
August 24, 2020, 4:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from White_shorts

I assume the upper Findus did not cover the full length of the pitch when built in 1982 due to the close proximity of housing. That situation has not changed.

Extending the lower Findus and Main Stand would increase the capacity of Blundell Park to around 11k. While that is arguably sufficient for League One and Two, the club ought to have ambition to play in the Championship.

It would be absolute madness to build new stands at BP when there is a STADIUM-SIZED PLOT OF LAND AT FREEMAN STREET.

I have looked at Google satellite images, and there appears to be enough space at Freemo for the Pontoon, Main and Osmond Stands to be doubled in size from pitch to street. That should equate to at least 7,000 more seats, as well as providing a footprint for community facilities.

Mr Fenty has said many times that the club needs regular non-matchday income to survive.

I have always been told that when the Findus was built, the club were aiming to rotate the pitch 90 degrees by demolishing a number of houses on Harrington Street. I got told that they started buying some of them up but I'm not sure how true all of that is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
grimsby pete
August 24, 2020, 5:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I have always been told that when the Findus was built, the club were aiming to rotate the pitch 90 degrees by demolishing a number of houses on Harrington Street. I got told that they started buying some of them up but I'm not sure how true all of that is.

That was never the case James just a rumour that started years later when people wondered why the stand did not go the full length of the pitch.

The reason was simple. Money !!!   we could not afford a bigger stand.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mansfield Towns new training and conference centre

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.