This thread currently has 3,606 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
July 20, 2020, 4:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Perhaps we should have the inevitable free for all, just for one season, and see where everybody ends up?

Players allowed to take drugs / monkey gland treatment (Wolves did this in the years preceding WW2 under a dastardly manager named Buckley!) Just imagine if it was a free for all with hallucinogens being allowed, coke sniffed at a phenomenal rate (don't try this at home children) and various other pick me ups enhancing performances. Is it really that different to seeing the likes of the super rich clubs buying all the world's best players and setting them loose against mere mortals?

At least it would be entertaining. The Buckley story below, is fascinating reading.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/08/05/the-story-of-frank-buckley-and-monkey-glands-at-wolves/

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
moosey_club
July 20, 2020, 6:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
The man responsible for balancing the clubs books believes its a good idea...

The man charged with building a succesful team doesnt ...  

How odd  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
pontoonlew
July 20, 2020, 6:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
The simple solution is to tighten FFP rules and not have the token gesture they have at the minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
GollyGTFC
July 20, 2020, 7:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from diehardmariner
This is where Golly will come and argue against a salary cap, I have to say I think he's right.

Providing the club can evidence that they can afford their outlay (be it through owner contributions, ticket/player sales, share issues, whatever), they should be free to spend as they wish.

I know the argument is that it's about a level playing field, but football has never had that. Even when their was a maximum wage in the game, the bigger clubs used to top up the players wages with second jobs at various companies with strong links to the club itself.

There is plenty of financial unfairness in the game, but I don't think imposing a salary cap is the best way to resolve it.

I totally agree with you agreeing with me.

Take Brentford as an example. They spent millions and millions setting up their system of buying the best untapped young talent from all over Europe. As have Bristol City. And Oxford and Wycombe are both going down the same route.

Brentford are now in the position where through player sales they are technically making a profit year on year and are being held up as an example of a well run club living within its means. Totally ignoring the fact that Brentford owners have purchased £55m worth of shares in the club since they started their “project” as well as building a new stadium in prime development land off M4.

Clubs should be free to invest heavily if they choose to.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 14
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 20, 2020, 7:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Chairman - we must pull the purse strings to keep the club alive

Manager - I don’t have enough money to spend

90% of clubs up and down the country will be like this

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Awkward to say the least

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.