Barnet ground

This thread currently has 5,499 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 21, 2020, 1:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,321
Gold Stars: 309

Er, no it hasn't. It used to be owned by London's most notorious ticket tout, Stan Flashman. He used to sack Barry Fry and reinstate him, more or less, on a monthly basis  

Stan and Bazzer lacked many things but they had a vision for that club!  

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 21, 2020, 1:27pm
Champagne Drinker

Then please be sensible and look at what we can, can, can.

Prior to the CV19 crisis there was absolutely no reason that Town couldn't have had a set up like Barnet's and our crowds would have meant less reliance on the 'partners' and more likely to achieve some level of sustainability.
I am sick of hearing why GTFC can't do what other clubs are achieving in front of our eyes.
I watched Bournemouth play Crystal Palace last night in a neat and tidy stadium in the EPL. One team we beat at Wembley in a cup final and one team we played regularly up until 10(?) years ago.

And as an aside, we are talking about Barnet here. Barnet! A club who aren't fit to clean our boots in terms of history and league achievement.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
SDUTM
June 21, 2020, 1:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +179
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from arryarryarry

In the past 25 years there hasn't been any can, can, can.

Hate to be a doom and gloom merchant however I really can’t see a new stadium happening with the current board of directors and this isn’t a Fenty bashing either.

A new stadium will cost around £25 million and I don’t see where that money is going to come from??

Local Authority Stadium? Highly unlikely as we are already an authority that’s cutting services to save money. Does the local authority even have access to this amount of funding or have it in its reserves??

Government Regeneration Grants? Money has been allocated to various areas locally however this does not include a fully funded stadium. Plus given the amount of current spending by the Government during COVID-19, spending is likely to be cut in the future.

European Funding? By the time we have finally agreed on a site and obtained planning permission, the UK will not be a EU member and therefore not entitled to any funding pots.

GTFC Directors? The only director who apparently has that kind of money is John Fenty and this would supposedly consume a fair chunk of his wealth. The other directors do not hold any substantive wealth so a new stadium would be the full burden for Fenty to undertake and I don’t see that as being a reality. Why would you state that the Club is for sale and then agree to spend £25 million plus??

Tom Shutes or another potentially new owner? The Shutes deal for whatever reasons seems dead in the water and I’m sure there’s issues on both sides that’s stopped this from happening. Is it going to happen?? The Club have said that the time for securing a deal has lapsed and now moved on, therefore is highly unlikely that we will have new owners anytime soon. As for any other new owners coming in? Unless there is some kind of link to the Town, why would anyone with serious money buy GTFC? Yes it’s a great club with awesome supporters who are staunchly loyal, however there’s not a big enough fan base or potential fan base for progression to the Premier League and  as a result there must be a natural ceiling for success at the Club if we are to be sustainable.

BP is certainly old and no doubt at some point likely to cost a large chunk of money for repairs if it’s going to stay where it is. This does fuel the need for a new stadium although that does not mean that it’s going to happen anytime soon. COVID-19 no doubt has not helped things and the stadium is certainly looking very run down due to staff being on furlough, I wonder how this has affected the buildings as a result of no upkeep?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
mimma
June 21, 2020, 5:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78

Prior to the CV19 crisis there was absolutely no reason that Town couldn't have had a set up like Barnet's and our crowds would have meant less reliance on the 'partners' and more likely to achieve some level of sustainability.
I am sick of hearing why GTFC can't do what other clubs are achieving in front of our eyes.
I watched Bournemouth play Crystal Palace last night in a neat and tidy stadium in the EPL. One team we beat at Wembley in a cup final and one team we played regularly up until 10(?) years ago.

And as an aside, we are talking about Barnet here. Barnet! A club who aren't fit to clean our boots in terms of history and league achievement.

You mention Bournemouth as an example, but it is in a wealthy part of the country and was able to attract a local wealthy backer.

We are not and there doesn't seem to be any local wealthy people with that sort on money round here, willing to invest the sort of money Bournemouth have been lucky to attract.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 22, 2020, 7:45am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mimma

You mention Bournemouth as an example, but it is in a wealthy part of the country and was able to attract a local wealthy backer.

We are not and there doesn't seem to be any local wealthy people with that sort on money round here, willing to invest the sort of money Bournemouth have been lucky to attract.

Yeah, you're right. We should just accept that we will forever watch sh*tty football in a sh*tty ground and never have an ounce of optimism or hope.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Boris Johnson
June 22, 2020, 7:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
so when do people think the shoebox will be open then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barnet ground

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.