moosey_club
June 20, 2020, 1:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from 61159[b
]I first met Cockney Ron [/b]when a group of lads about 15 of them came into the Beachcomber around 1969/1970, skin head hair cut, white round necked t shirts ( grandad shirts), braces on their levi jeans with rolled up bottoms, brown doc martins, i had never seen anything like it as a 16 year old kid. That summer i joined their little band & we went to Skegness as we all bought Lambretta scooters, naturally the rockers turned up & there were fights all over Town, we then joined up with the Grimsby Town fans called the Pontoon Boot Boys, there was never any thought of racism in either group as our enemy were other football teams firms & the rockers. I have hundreds more memories of all of this plus the move into the next progression from skinhead to Punk.

The taxi driver, lived in New Waltham ?

If so was a good friend of my dads from years ago, think they worked the door at the Dolphin, sadly neither here to tell the tales.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 20, 2020, 2:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,321
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

From since about the time of the first Electronic Fishcake it's not really been a matter of choice for me to be one...the number 0 setting on the clippers only takes a couple of minutes to keep the full skinner tidy...

I hear you.....I'm a skinhead because of genetics not any particular movement or world view.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
jock dock tower
June 20, 2020, 4:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
At the time the whole skin / smoothie / mod thing was going on I was just starting out as a wannabe hippy. A bit of an oddity amongst Town fans back in the day because there weren't too many of us around then.

Music was tribal back then so I was in to rock, prog rock especially, and some of the more avant garde electric stuff just coming out then, Kraftwerk, Gong, etc. Couldn't stand ska, reggae, or soul music - now I love them all. Will always travel, and invariably did, to watch good ska music, and always went to see the Wailers in Glasgow when touring. Quite a healthy ska scene up here, and I was lucky to put a ska night on at our local music festival three years ago with three of the best ones around.

One of my favourite memories was going to Macclesfield, about five years ago to see Town - think it was Easter Monday? Got there on Sunday as I'd been doing a programme fair near Stoke in the morning, so not too far to travel. Booked in the hotel, went for a walk and a few beers down Sunderland Street - the real ale haven there. Heading back to the hotel, the pub just a few metres away had a gig on that night "The Sex Pistols Experience"
That'll do me I thought after going in to check they did real ale.

Paid my £3 entrance fee on the night and was surprised to see dozens of bikers there (it was a pub used as a M/C HQ for two different biking groups / chapters. Thought it had the potential to get interesting later on once the drink was flowing. Place quickly became packed, and there were loads of skins, aged 50 plus, ditto punks, the bikers, quite a few mods, and everyone had an absolutely brilliant night. I had to move away from the front as the barging and crashing into each other was going to make me spill my beer.

I was talking to one of the bikers during the break and said how different it was from when we would all have been late teens / early twenties over frty years ago - it would have been utter carnage. Strange days, a brilliant night, and one that will live long in the memory for all the right reasons. Band were excellent too.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
mimma
June 21, 2020, 1:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78

late 60s, early 70s a mate of mine got a car, so we use to travel to all the Town away games. Back then, there use to be a disproportionate number of skinheads around here, and a fair few from places like Skeggy and Mablethorpe. Town had a fearful reputation in the old fourth div. for going to away in numbers and causing trouble. Trinity youth centre, The Valiant, the Scaffa mob, Nunny, the Bradley all use to run buses to away games. We labeled them "wrecker specials" .

Some of the more famous names I remember, cockney Ron, Bonzo,mad miff, hatchet Stan, Doc,chopper Harris. One particular nutcase was called Stevie Wells, a fisherman. He dressed in the fisherman attire, suit, shoelace tie, brothel creepers. He was absolutely fearless, and would take on large mobs on his own. One season alone he had 3 separate banning orders from 3 towns!

One standout memory was Hartlepool away when wen won the 4th. div title. I've never seen fighting like that, it lasted nearly half an hour before kickoff. More fighting outside afterwards, it was carnage. All our buses had their windows smashed.

Incidentally, Elton John's "Saturdays alright for fighting" was written by Elton's lyricist Bernie Taupin, who is from Market Rasen. Taupin use to go drinking in Market Rasen on Saturdays, but skinheads from Grimsby and Lincoln also went there,and that was the fighting he wrote about.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
realist
June 21, 2020, 11:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I remember most of the nightclubs and pubs in the seventies had "No Skinheads" signs at the door so you had to be pretty dedicated to put up with the loss of social life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
TownSNAFU5
June 21, 2020, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
I lived in Mablethorpe in the 60s and early 70s.  Supporting Town away was always difficult as transport llnks were very poor.  It was expensive with no supporters buses.

We were always a small minority, 4 or 5 of us, which was very risky in those days. Looking back, we look a lot of risks. But when you are young and want to watch Town.

There was only 4 or 5 skinheads in Mablethorpe.  Interestingly, there was one keen Town fan (a skinhead), who clearly was a good leader.  Despite going to the local secondary school, he was very sharp and street wise.  He joined the Navy as an ordinary seaman, progressing  through the ranks to become a Lieutenant Commander.  (Malcolm “Char”). I won’t give his surname,
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Boris Johnson
June 21, 2020, 2:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
I liked the Noddy Holder skinhead period....proper bovver boy look.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
Limerick Mariner
June 21, 2020, 6:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,751
Gold Stars: 138

I hear you.....I'm a skinhead because of genetics not any particular movement or world view.

Has a certain ring to it...Grimsby Genetic Skinheads...

We are the Grimsby
Genetic Skinheads
We are mental
And we are mad...etc

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
Lincoln Mariner 56
June 21, 2020, 7:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from mimma

late 60s, early 70s a mate of mine got a car, so we use to travel to all the Town away games. Back then, there use to be a disproportionate number of skinheads around here, and a fair few from places like Skeggy and Mablethorpe. Town had a fearful reputation in the old fourth div. for going to away in numbers and causing trouble. Trinity youth centre, The Valiant, the Scaffa mob, Nunny, the Bradley all use to run buses to away games. We labeled them "wrecker specials" .

Some of the more famous names I remember, cockney Ron, Bonzo,mad miff, hatchet Stan, Doc,chopper Harris. One particular nutcase was called Stevie Wells, a fisherman. He dressed in the fisherman attire, suit, shoelace tie, brothel creepers. He was absolutely fearless, and would take on large mobs on his own. One season alone he had 3 separate banning orders from 3 towns!

One standout memory was Hartlepool away when wen won the 4th. div title. I've never seen fighting like that, it lasted nearly half an hour before kickoff. More fighting outside afterwards, it was carnage. All our buses had their windows smashed.

Incidentally, Elton John's "Saturdays alright for fighting" was written by Elton's lyricist Bernie Taupin, who is from Market Rasen. Taupin use to go drinking in Market Rasen on Saturdays, but skinheads from Grimsby and Lincoln also went there,and that was the fighting he wrote about.

Having grown up in Market Rasen during this period it didn’t need any visits from Lincoln or Grimsby Skinheads for there to be trouble pretty often in the market place outside the Aston Arms hence why the picture of the pub on one of his early albums. Rasen was pretty always a mods/skinhead town whilst the main rivals were Caistor who were primarily greasers. After one particularly violent clash in 1972 Ian Martin, father of Guy, got a pretty hefty prison sentence of a few years, other clashes were with Wragby, Louth and occasionally a gang would arrive from Broughton near Scunny. Add the then RAF lads from Binbrook and Faldingworth and it could be pretty guaranteed things would kick off at some stage.

The only Grimsby lads I remember coming to help out were Rick Broddle and a couple of his mates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
mimma
June 21, 2020, 9:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
It was Rick that told me that the scaffa lads would go there!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Skinheads wanted

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.