2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
MarinerWY
June 15, 2020, 11:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,992
Gold Stars: 47
Probs already been posted but just in case, good article interviewing Josh Gowling about the play-off final here
https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/promotion-final-glory-really-suited-gowling-grimsb-62299

Private Message
arryarryarry
June 15, 2020, 11:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
One of my favourite players of recent times.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
kamakazebear
June 16, 2020, 1:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +482
Quoted from arryarryarry
One of my favourite players of recent times.

Agreed, hope he does well at Hereford and gets a foothold in management.

Also agree with his feeling we mentally secured promotion at Braintree point. I went to Wembley almost certain we were going up, it was an odd feeling!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
fishboyUTM
June 16, 2020, 6:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Great piece. I thought Josh was great for us and seems a decent and intelligent lad. Wish him all the best for the future. It's a shame how it ended at Town for him, Bignot (was it?) clearly didn't want him and it took a while to move him on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
diehardmariner
June 16, 2020, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
I think in fairness to Bignot, Gowling really struggled when we stepped back into the league.  Was a real surprise as he looked the most assured of all our defenders and the one most likely to cruise back into life in League Two.  As it turned out he seemed a yard too slow, Boyce wasn't the player we remembered from his previous spell and Pearson didn't seem to be trusted.  It left Hurst with a big gap in his spine, thankfully he managed to pull a rabbit out when he signed Danny Collins.

Gowling was a classy player for us though, both on and off the field.  

As good as promotion was, it almost felt equally as disappointing when that side was broken up and then those that stayed either didn't cut it or didn't last long themselves.  Fully agree that side needed to be broken up and overhauled, but it really was 'our' team wasn't it?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
fishboyUTM
June 16, 2020, 1:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think in fairness to Bignot, Gowling really struggled when we stepped back into the league.  Was a real surprise as he looked the most assured of all our defenders and the one most likely to cruise back into life in League Two.  As it turned out he seemed a yard too slow, Boyce wasn't the player we remembered from his previous spell and Pearson didn't seem to be trusted.  It left Hurst with a big gap in his spine, thankfully he managed to pull a rabbit out when he signed Danny Collins.

As good as promotion was, it almost felt equally as disappointing when that side was broken up and then those that stayed either didn't cut it or didn't last long themselves.  Fully agree that side needed to be broken up and overhauled, but it really was 'our' team wasn't it?

I think maybe age caught Josh out. He was about 33 I think when making the step up, and it is a big step up. He used to be very quick and maybe that had gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
hheh2
June 16, 2020, 1:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Saw him in A&E earlier this yer hope hes still not there gess he made it out after I left then

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
promotion plaice
June 16, 2020, 2:01pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from hheh2
Saw him in A&E earlier this yer hope hes still not there gess he made it out after I left then

Spoke to him a couple of weeks ago on Cleethorpes beach when the sun was out, he was up here with his family.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
HertsGTFC
June 16, 2020, 2:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Great pro, decent player and a really nice bloke. I hope he’s a real success.

My lasting memory of Josh is him constantly putting his head into tackles where most players just put their feet.

I think he was a big factor in us getting up as he was one of the players who didn’t have the armband but played and behaved like a captain.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
Kris2
June 16, 2020, 5:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from diehardmariner

Pearson seemed to gain confidence and improve after Collins came in and was the one defender from the last season who seemed to step up. Gowling was great during our non league years but struggled on returning to the league and lost all confidence in himself making a series of rash mistakes. Of course a falling out with Bignot sealed the deal as it did with a couple of players.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
Garth
June 16, 2020, 10:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
One of my favorite players, and a decent bloke to boot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
jamesgtfc
June 16, 2020, 10:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Great pro, decent player and a really nice bloke. I hope he’s a real success.

My lasting memory of Josh is him constantly putting his head into tackles where most players just put their feet.

I think he was a big factor in us getting up as he was one of the players who didn’t have the armband but played and behaved like a captain.

I couldn't have worded it any better myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
Davec
June 17, 2020, 8:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Gowling certainly struggled when moving up to the football league, he got sent off on first game back, gave away a penalty against another team when he needlessly put his hands in the air and he generally looked very uncomfortable with the step up, that said however I do feel as time went on he did become slightly more accustomed to league 2 but never to the point that he looked comfortable, however I do remember him captaining us away at Cambridge and he had a very good game then.

He was however excellent in the national league and I wish him nothing but the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
dapperz fun pub
June 17, 2020, 5:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Still local nice guy apparently delivery driver now for amazon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gowling promotion article

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.