3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
June 11, 2020, 9:25am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
How is the club supposed to sign any players when no club has a budget to work on ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
diehardmariner
June 11, 2020, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from crusty ole pie
I cannot see any reason why league 2 cannot restart in September/ October With the numbers of deaths falling daily (hopefully )

Because people are still dying and the virus is still a threat.

More than anything I want this to end and a sense of normality to resume.  But until it's 100% safe to do so, we shouldn't.  The science is still too ropey in my eyes to determine that things are ready to return to pre-March time.  

Just because idiots have flocked to beaches and open spaces when the sun is out, doesn't give justification for 3,000 people meeting in a football ground.  Equally so what about the 22 players, the officials, coaches, subs, physios, a whole host of people who won't be keeping a social distance.  That just creates a perfect breeding ground for the virus to spread, especially when these people then go back to their homes and families.  

That's not a go at you either, I completely get why people want and in some cases probably need football to return to their lives.  But I would rather wait a bit longer than see people die needlessly.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Youngy
June 11, 2020, 11:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner

More than anything I want this to end and a sense of normality to resume.  But until it's 100% safe to do so, we shouldn't.  The science is still too ropey in my eyes to determine that things are ready to return to pre-March time.  

Just because idiots have flocked to beaches and open spaces when the sun is out, doesn't give justification for 3,000 people meeting in a football ground.  Equally so what about the 22 players, the officials, coaches, subs, physios, a whole host of people who won't be keeping a social distance.  That just creates a perfect breeding ground for the virus to spread, especially when these people then go back to their homes and families.  

That's not a go at you either, I completely get why people want and in some cases probably need football to return to their lives.  But I would rather wait a bit longer than see people die needlessly.

Will we ever be 100% safe though? That could take years and years? Surely now we need to stop looking at numbers and looking at demographics of people who are dying from this? My worry is that if we wait until we are 100% safe then we might not have a football club to come back to?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
diehardmariner
June 11, 2020, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Youngy

Will we ever be 100% safe though? That could take years and years? Surely now we need to stop looking at numbers and looking at demographics of people who are dying from this? My worry is that if we wait until we are 100% safe then we might not have a football club to come back to?

Who knows?  It might take decades to be safe.

It might suddenly just fizzle out and be largely forgotten about in a few years time.  

There's such little credible science around what is a relatively new virus that it's just impossible to say.  Unfortunately I don't think just going at it and hoping it'll all be ok is good enough.

Demographics is perhaps a way forward.  But I think maybe we need to also accept that life as we've become accustomed to is changing as a result of Covid-19 and will continue to do so.  

I don't have the answers, I don't pretend to do so either.  But I'm not sure football restarting should be anywhere near a priority - within that I strongly accept the mental health factors that are at play too.  

It's a very, very challenging time for everyone and there's not right or wrong answers.  The important thing is that people are as safe as they can be, both physically and mentally.  I don't envy anyone trying to find a balance between the two.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
Ipswin
June 11, 2020, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Youngy

My worry is that if we wait until we are 100% safe then we might not have a football club to come back to?

That's OK. If you are dead you won't need one

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
lew chaterleys lover
June 11, 2020, 2:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,788
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think waiting a bit longer (to September or October as the original poster said) would be ok if the figures continue to fall, the virus is dying out and the government sanctions it.

It should be left to people to make their own minds up whether to attend or not.

I don't think we can hibernate much longer than that for everybody's sanity; people are returning to work all the time and so as long as the virus continues to decline then we should aim for an early autumn start.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
Heisenberg
June 11, 2020, 3:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97

I think waiting a bit longer (to September or October as the original poster said) would be ok if the figures continue to fall, the virus is dying out and the government sanctions it.

It should be left to people to make their own minds up whether to attend or not.

I don't think we can hibernate much longer than that for everybody's sanity; people are returning to work all the time and so as long as the virus continues to decline then we should aim for an early autumn start.

I agree.  Life has to get back to normal at some point, no matter what the scientists say; if they were the decision makers we'd be stuck inside for a few years, which might be safe but it isn't practical.  If it means learning to live with the virus then so be it.  I know it's selfish to say the majority of people cannot be harmed by this virus, but it's the truth.  Nobody wants all 1.5m shielded people to remain like this, but the world can't completely stop for years.  The fact is, people need to work and earn money, or else there might be widespread poverty and starvation, which isn't an option.  The 1.5m aren't expendable, don't get me wrong, but the other 65m people need to get back to things or the country will be crippled.

I'd imagine that a very high percentage of town fans could go to games tomorrow and remain healthy - it would just be up to those who are susceptible to stay away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
HackneyHaddock
June 11, 2020, 4:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Should be very possible to get back playing with crowds by September.  The prevalence of the virus is now so low that in the open air, and with sensible hand hygiene, the chances of catching it are very very low.  That very very small risk has to be balanced with the very real risk of livelihoods being lost and the social and health disasters that accompany that.  We can't just cower in our homes for ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
It Bites
June 11, 2020, 4:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 266
I posted way back in April  that some one I knew in the entertainment industry said they weren't  planning  mass gathering gigs untill Sept 21 .... he assumed football would come under that  from LG 2 upwoards .
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
TownSNAFU5
June 11, 2020, 5:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Nothing here is black and white though.  Sorry about the pun.

My wife is still shielding as she is critically vulnerable;  she has a chronic lung disease (nothing to do with smoking.  She has never smoked).  Her health depends on how careful I am on essential tips outside the house.

Despite being fit and healthy, this make it very unlikely that I will be at BP in the near future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Restart

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.