TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 18, 2020, 7:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
They had Div 3 North and South in the olden days. What was the reason for changing to the current structure?

One reason was that only the champions from each league got promoted to Division 2. They hadn’t invented play-offs then. Even Bill Shankley didn’t get us promoted. The other reason was that travel was a lot cheaper and easier in 1958 than it was in 1921 so that problem had gone. The final reason was that it allowed a better competition for the 92 clubs if there was a Div 3 and a Div 4.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
jock dock tower
May 18, 2020, 7:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The one thing regionalised leagues would do would be to stop the absolutely ridiculous situation we have now where midweek away games tend to be against clubs miles away from home. The Football League have this warped logic that a lot of folk wouldn't go to the game anyway so put it on midweek when it can be nigh on impossible to get back from some games. Three of our last four away games at Carlisle have been midweek ones if I remember rightly?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
toontown
May 18, 2020, 10:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from jock dock tower
The one thing regionalised leagues would do would be to stop the absolutely ridiculous situation we have now where midweek away games tend to be against clubs miles away from home. The Football League have this warped logic that a lot of folk wouldn't go to the game anyway so put it on midweek when it can be nigh on impossible to get back from some games. Three of our last four away games at Carlisle have been midweek ones if I remember rightly?

Well Carlisle would still be in the northern league so it wouldn't stop that at all!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
aldi_01
May 19, 2020, 7:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The fixtures are computer generated, we’ve had season when midweek games aren’t far away...

I think the travel thing is being over thought. I really don’t see what GTFC would gain from being in a regionalised division, and as said, the playoff system would need a revamp and I’d imagine would lead to possibly even more games.

Surely clubs have to be a bit savvy and think about it. Look at all those times money was wasted opening the Osmond Stand in the conference when teams brought 25 fans...surely we could’ve just used a section of the main stand like so many other clubs do.

If travel costs are an issue then perhaps it’s the way it’s done, like I say, even after being in financial ruin Pompey were still flying to games and staying at plush hotels and the like...don’t moan about having zero cash if you’re flying to games in the midlands...get on a coach like everyone else.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
Bigdog
May 19, 2020, 11:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from aldi_01
The fixtures are computer generated, we’ve had season when midweek games aren’t far away...

I think the travel thing is being over thought. I really don’t see what GTFC would gain from being in a regionalised division, and as said, the playoff system would need a revamp and I’d imagine would lead to possibly even more games.

Surely clubs have to be a bit savvy and think about it. Look at all those times money was wasted opening the Osmond Stand in the conference when teams brought 25 fans...surely we could’ve just used a section of the main stand like so many other clubs do.

If travel costs are an issue then perhaps it’s the way it’s done, like I say, even after being in financial ruin Pompey were still flying to games and staying at plush hotels and the like...don’t moan about having zero cash if you’re flying to games in the midlands...get on a coach like everyone else.

I'm fairly sure that EFL fixtures are not entirely computer generated, they involve a lot of human input too, also with requests from clubs themselves, pairing up with other local clubs on police grounds, and I believe I saw somewhere that the EFL in the past few seasons made sure that clubs had long distance away games midweek to restrict the numbers of fans travelling in poor conditions (or to use that excuse to boost i-Follow income)..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
HistonMariner
May 19, 2020, 12:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +558
Gold Stars: 13
IF regionalisation was brought in, in an effort to cut costs and/or boost gates - which is debatable, the fundamental problem would not be addressed, it would continue and would arguably get worse. Because the additional monies could well end up in players/agents pockets.  
Poorly run clubs are often guilty of irresponsible and unsustainable wage structures - regionalisation does not address that issue.

If cost cutting is an aim, why do we need so many substitutes.  Cutting substitutes to say 3 would enable squad sizes to be reduced.  Homegrown/young quotas could still exist and as a bigger proportion of the squad may even be of benefit.  A reduced squad of 3/4 would be proportionally a big saving.

As an aside a proportion of semi-pros in the short-term at least, may well be part of a squad make up for some clubs.

P.S. I assume agents will do their bit for the good of the game, by reducing their fees..........!!!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
louth_in_the_south
May 19, 2020, 12:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
I don’t really see how it’s possible to even start planning a new league structure when there’s no idea when clubs will be solvent without the income of fans ? A plan could be made in theory but it’s likely a lot of the National league clubs let alone those in L1&2 could’ve folded .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
HistonMariner
May 20, 2020, 5:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +558
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from HistonMariner
IF regionalisation was brought in, in an effort to cut costs and/or boost gates - which is debatable, the fundamental problem would not be addressed, it would continue and would arguably get worse. Because the additional monies could well end up in players/agents pockets.  
Poorly run clubs are often guilty of irresponsible and unsustainable wage structures - regionalisation does not address that issue.

If cost cutting is an aim, why do we need so many substitutes.  Cutting substitutes to say 3 would enable squad sizes to be reduced.  Homegrown/young quotas could still exist and as a bigger proportion of the squad may even be of benefit.  A reduced squad of 3/4 would be proportionally a big saving.

As an aside a proportion of semi-pros in the short-term at least, may well be part of a squad make up for some clubs.

P.S. I assume agents will do their bit for the good of the game, by reducing their fees..........!!!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Split League 2 North and South

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.