3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
May 13, 2020, 11:02am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.24
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I was just sat thinking of when I first started going to watch Town at Blundell Park in the 70’s and trying to think of a game what really stood out, my first game was at 8 year old In 1978 but can’t remember too much apart from the noise and pontoon.

The game what really stands out for me in my younger years is the game against West Ham (1981) we lost 5.1, it’s never nice seeing Town lose but West Ham were class and it was a pleasure to watch them.

What games stand out for you in your younger years?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
May 13, 2020, 11:10am
Guest User
Beating Wimbledon 6-2
Reply: 1 - 21
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
May 13, 2020, 12:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Filing out from the Main Stand around the back of the Pontoon, gripping my Dad’s hand, the alluring sweet smell of whatever cheap brand of fags the Pontoon Army smoked in the early-90s.

Every now and then I pass someone smoking the same brand and it makes me tingly, nostalgic and cough violently.

Jilly Goolden would describe the smell as, “leather bondage gear, tannic, toffee, whisky barrel and predatory gimp mask”.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 13, 2020, 12:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There are a few early games and some I've mentioned before like beating Southampton 3-2 and the Exeter game of 1962 that we won 5-3.

But one that sticks in the mind is a bit of an unknown, it was the first game of the new year in 1962 against Bournemouth. We had lost both Christmas games and Cliff Portwood was injured. In his place came in Willie Purvis who I'd never seen before. There were "only" 5000 odd there.

Willie played a blinder and scored the first goal with 10 yard thunderbolt and we went on to win 3-0. Not only that but we won the next SIX as well and we were unbeaten until losing 3-2 at QPR in March. We went from no-hopers to the form promotion team and clinched it at Brentford on May 1st.

Willie scored again against Notts County but Portwood came back in and Willie only played 6 games that season in total. He only played one game early the next season in spite of Ron Rafferty being injured. We signed George McLean and Willie Purvis disappeared from my view. I often wondered what happened to stop him being a Town regular and where he went to.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
scrumble
May 13, 2020, 3:05pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
First game was at 8 years old, Aldershot at home in 1979. A boring 0-0 but as my first game it was the most exciting thing I could imagine. After that my biggest memory is the bank holiday game at home to Leeds in 82(?), when they pretty much trashed Cleethorpes. My Mum didn't want me go, but my Dad said it would be fine as we'd be in the Upper Findus, and they'd never get into there. He got that wrong lol.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Mayaman
May 13, 2020, 4:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I was just sat thinking of when I first started going to watch Town at Blundell Park in the 70’s and trying to think of a game what really stood out, my first game was at 8 year old In 1978 but can’t remember too much apart from the noise and pontoon.

The game what really stands out for me in my younger years is the game against West Ham (1981) we lost 5.1, it’s never nice seeing Town lose but West Ham were class and it was a pleasure to watch them.

I was so excited to go to that game. My mum had been faffing around in a subconscious effort to make us late hoping we would decide not to go and have fun without her.  When we arrived, the queue was massive (before pre ticket) and 3pm was nearing.  The fans waited patiently in a line but I was worried about not getting in.  My step dad, who was a bit rum, said, 'eff this' grabbed be by the hand and ploughed to the front of the queue. One turnstile had a lad who was sat there twiddling his thumbs so we waltzed straight in.  Despite breaking one of the English's greatest social rules, I felt all warm inside.

There were some big names in the West ham team.  Parkes, Lampard Snr, Devonshire and Brooking. I thought Town actually played well but the Hammers were a different class. David Cross got four goals. I'm not sure who scored for us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
moosey_club
May 13, 2020, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Similar to you, was going before i can really remember but the first stand out for me was Mike Brolley beating Everton 2-1. The newly installed fences, big crowd under the lights and a fantastic atmosphere and win.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
Mayaman
May 13, 2020, 5:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
There are a few early games and some I've mentioned before like beating Southampton 3-2 and the Exeter game of 1962 that we won 5-3.

But one that sticks in the mind is a bit of an unknown, it was the first game of the new year in 1962 against Bournemouth. We had lost both Christmas games and Cliff Portwood was injured. In his place came in Willie Purvis who I'd never seen before. There were "only" 5000 odd there.

Willie played a blinder and scored the first goal with 10 yard thunderbolt and we went on to win 3-0. Not only that but we won the next SIX as well and we were unbeaten until losing 3-2 at QPR in March. We went from no-hopers to the form promotion team and clinched it at Brentford on May 1st.

Willie scored again against Notts County but Portwood came back in and Willie only played 6 games that season in total. He only played one game early the next season in spite of Ron Rafferty being injured. We signed George McLean and Willie Purvis disappeared from my view. I often wondered what happened to stop him being a Town regular and where he went to.

According to Wikipedia, he did a year at Doncaster and ended up in Skeggy.  He pass in 2012

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
Connecticut Mariner
May 13, 2020, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +730
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I remember a bit about that game - If my memory serves me correct, it was a fairly close match iinto the 2nd half and Bob Cumming was up against Ray Stewart. I think Bob may have won a penalty in the 2nd half which made the score 2-1 and Bob made a hand gesture to Ray. A few minutes later Ray "tackled" Bob from behind and racked his foot down Bob's achilles. After carrying on for awhile, Bob eventually went off injured and Bobby Mitchell had to move to left back. They then cut us to pieces as we only had 10 men as we had brought our sub on earlier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
grimsby pete
May 13, 2020, 6:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
One of the earliest games I remember was when we played Fulham.

Johny Haynes was captain of England and they had the only bearded player in the country Jimmy Hill

Not sure but think it ended 2-2 .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Childhood memories of going to Blundell park

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.