Philip Day Appointed Club Chairman

This thread currently has 5,046 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 5, 2020, 8:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from golfer
If a vote in the boardroom is against JSF what will Day do - if they don't have votes what is the chairmans job -is it a SPOKESMAN and not a chairman that is being created

There is nothing he can do.There can't be a vote against JSF because he has the majority shareholding so 49% of votes can go against him but he just piles in with 51% of the votes and it's a done deal (I don't actually know what JSF's shareholding is in % terms).

Hopefully Day can advise and influence JSF's decisions but it's ultimately his decision. In some cases a majority shareholder can delegate their votes to another board member but that doesn't appear to have happened here.

Fenty is still in control of GTFC.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Garth
May 5, 2020, 8:43am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
JF has probably appointed a chairman to isolate him from the club during any political manoeuvring on future ground building activities, has he mentioned before he has been sailing too close to the wind as a Councillor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
aldi_01
May 5, 2020, 9:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
This is likely a move to ensure Fenty doesn’t incur and damage to his political career whilst still wanting to be the despot leader of the club.

I don’t imagine Day would ever vote against Fenty, and as a few have already pointed out, Fenty ultimately still has the overall control and decision making power as majority shareholder.

Bit of a non story really...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
May 5, 2020, 9:21am
Guest User
Yes-man gets new title.

But he's still a yes-man, so this is meaningless/cosmetic.
Reply: 13 - 24
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 5, 2020, 12:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309

There is nothing he can do.There can't be a vote against JSF because he has the majority shareholding so 49% of votes can go against him but he just piles in with 51% of the votes and it's a done deal (I don't actually know what JSF's shareholding is in % terms).

Hopefully Day can advise and influence JSF's decisions but it's ultimately his decision. In some cases a majority shareholder can delegate their votes to another board member but that doesn't appear to have happened here.

Fenty is still in control of GTFC.

I'm having a giggle to myself here because I've got 3 red crosses as if people don't agree with my opinion (which is fine) - this isn't my opinion, it's how companies, boards and shareholdings work!

Ho hum.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
KingstonMariner
May 5, 2020, 12:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Voting at the board is on the basis of one member one vote. So in that sense JSF can be outvoted. When it comes to AGMs and EGMs and a vote based on shareholding is called then JSF has c43% of the shares/vote. I may be slightly out on the percentage. But he can still technically be outvoted there.

Where the control can really be exerted is through his loans and his guarantee to meet cash flow shortages (up to a limit). He could decide to take his bat home if he doesn’t like a decision.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
MarinerDevil
May 5, 2020, 1:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Voting at the board is on the basis of one member one vote. So in that sense JSF can be outvoted. When it comes to AGMs and EGMs and a vote based on shareholding is called then JSF has c43% of the shares/vote. I may be slightly out on the percentage. But he can still technically be outvoted there.

Where the control can really be exerted is through his loans and his guarantee to meet cash flow shortages (up to a limit). He could decide to take his bat home if he doesn’t like a decision.

This.  Technically, each board member has a single vote with the appointed chairman usually having the casting vote should there be a deadlock.  But considering Fenty's financial power, other members are unlikely to vote against him if he strongly espouses a certain viewpoint.  This is very unlikely anyway as most of the board members always seem to be aligned on the direction of the club.  That's how it appears publicly at least.

This is just to create some semblance of hierarchy during the next few months and, of course, to guarantee Championship football by 2023.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
moosey_club
May 5, 2020, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from MarinerDevil

This.  Technically, each board member has a single vote with the appointed chairman usually having the casting vote should there be a deadlock.  But considering Fenty's financial power, other members are unlikely to vote against him if he strongly espouses a certain viewpoint.  This is very unlikely anyway as most of the board members always seem to be aligned on the direction of the club.  That's how it appears publicly at least.

This is just to create some semblance of hierarchy during the next few months and, of course, to guarantee Championship football by 2023.

Vote against JSF on any major issue and the remaining directors will find themselves financially liable for any debts as JSF could easily pull all his funding/loans/guarantee's...........just as happened when the trust received its shares from Mike Parker.......and as the directors have hardly put a penny in (relatively speaking) to date i doubt very much they will want to p1ss off the cash cow and be sweating on stumping up themselves.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
The_Laughing_Mariner
May 5, 2020, 11:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,047
Gold Stars: 10
JF is distancing himself from the club to concentrate on his Deputy Leader / regen'n role at the council, and to avoid conflict of interest re the New stadium.
The board need a figurehead, JF fulfilled this role as non chairman/ major shareholder.
So PD to chairman makes sense,  
Who else?, Jon Wood, Ian Holloway, Stephen Marley, Michael Chapman, is Dave Roberts a director.
IMO PD is the sensible option.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
KingstonMariner
May 6, 2020, 12:34am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Not being involved in the day-to-day running of the club does not mean there isn’t a conflict of interest! He still owns 43% of the shares and is owed in region of £1.5m (assuming all the debt owed to directors is to him). For there to be no conflict of interest he would have to step away from any council decision affecting the club’s future.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Philip Day Appointed Club Chairman

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.