Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Season 1998-9
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 274 Guests

Season 1998-9

This thread currently has 3,459 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
April 18, 2020, 11:54am
Guest User
The mighty Mariners were a division above Man City. We were in what is the now Championship they were in now Division 1.
GollyGTFC
April 18, 2020, 2:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,069
Gold Stars: 359
Joe Royle took over Man City towards the end of the 1997/98 season and famously ranted at his players that if they "continue like this you'll be playing Grimsby next season."
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 22
Abdul19
April 18, 2020, 3:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,617
Gold Stars: 220
Most cornflakes come from the USA

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Poojah
April 18, 2020, 4:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,902
Gold Stars: 1,527
Easy to forget how close we came to the making the play-offs that year.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-1/16-january-1999/

We were sixth, and five points clear of eighth placed West Brom when we played the Baggies at their place, 1-0 with (I think) about 20 minutes to go when Kingsley Black got scythed down on the half-way line; one of the most clear and obvious fouls you'll ever see. No free-kick given and up the pitch they went for the murdering ginger pig Lee Hughes to slot home.

It was pretty much downhill from there. From memory, there were quite a few rumours of shenanigans between Wayne Burnett and Aidan Davison's good lady, with Davo sitting out the rest of the season and leaving a young and slightly inadequete Andy Love between the sticks.

Really enjoyable season right the way up to mid-January.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Rodley Mariner
April 18, 2020, 4:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Abdul19
Most cornflakes come from the USA

Another one of those same time tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
GollyGTFC
April 18, 2020, 5:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Easy to forget how close we came to the making the play-offs that year.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-1/16-january-1999/

We were sixth, and five points clear of eighth placed West Brom when we played the Baggies at their place, 1-0 with (I think) about 20 minutes to go when Kingsley Black got scythed down on the half-way line; one of the most clear and obvious fouls you'll ever see. No free-kick given and up the pitch they went for the murdering ginger pig Lee Hughes to slot home.

It was pretty much downhill from there. From memory, there were quite a few rumours of shenanigans between Wayne Burnett and Aidan Davison's good lady, with Davo sitting out the rest of the season and leaving a young and slightly inadequete Andy Love between the sticks.

Really enjoyable season right the way up to mid-January.

We were well placed going to February. I seem to remember we had 3 tough home games (Sunderland, Birmingham & Bolton- probably not in that order) and we lost all 3 matches to nil.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 22
GollyGTFC
April 18, 2020, 5:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Just checked and those 3 teams we played at home in February were all in the top 4 on 1st February. We were 7th 1 point behind Watford (6th) with a game in hand.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 22
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2020, 7:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It was a cracking season. We were safe before the end of January. Didn’t the muppets in charge sack Buckley after a 0-0 draw at Portsmouth the following season?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
Poojah
April 18, 2020, 7:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
It was a cracking season. We were safe before the end of January. Didn’t the muppets in charge sack Buckley after a 0-0 draw at Portsmouth the following season?

That happened a year later I think. We’d lost at home to a Jon Macken inspired Preston on opening day then drew 1-1 at Pompey. No one saw it coming at the time. At least I didn’t.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Madeleymariner
April 18, 2020, 7:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from Poojah

That happened a year later I think. We’d lost at home to a Jon Macken inspired Preston on opening day then drew 1-1 at Pompey. No one saw it coming at the time. At least I didn’t.

Yes but he had signed a couple of right useless players in the summer (think it inc, Van teuval and Jeffrey) though in his book he blames the board for not giving him any money to sign anyone
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
barralad
April 18, 2020, 8:02pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Andy Love played some games but I'm pretty sure Steve Croudson played a blinder in an end of season night game at home to Wolves who were after promotion (0-0 draw) He kept his place for the last match at Watford...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Poojah
April 18, 2020, 8:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Yes but he had signed a couple of right useless players in the summer (think it inc, Van teuval and Jeffrey) though in his book he blames the board for not giving him any money to sign anyone

Ten Heuvel was a Groves signing, three or four years later. But yes, we had a dire summer that year, only signing Michael Jeffrey and Paul Raven, neither of whom were anywhere close to to the required standard.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2020, 8:23pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad
Andy Love played some games but I'm pretty sure Steve Croudson played a blinder in an end of season night game at home to Wolves who were after promotion (0-0 draw) He kept his place for the last match at Watford...

I remember Andy Love playing at Watford in a midweek game in the mid-90s. He must have been about 17 at the time. But the limelight was taken by Craig Shakespeare scoring in a 3 goal win.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
blundellpork
April 18, 2020, 8:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from barralad

That Croudson Wolves game is the stuff of legend. Wolves needed a win in their quest for automatic promotion, peppered our goal with shots all night, and Croudson single handedly repelled everything they threw at us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2020, 8:29pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Ah yeah, you're right. It was at the beginning of 2000-2001 season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Abdul19
April 18, 2020, 9:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from blundellpork

That Croudson Wolves game is the stuff of legend. Wolves needed a win in their quest for automatic promotion, peppered our goal with shots all night, and Croudson single handedly repelled everything they threw at us.

They were trying to make the playoffs, but yeah, he was amazing. Made me wonder why we'd been playing Andy Love!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
Abdul19
April 18, 2020, 9:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Poojah

Ten Heuvel was a Groves signing, three or four years later. But yes, we had a dire summer that year, only signing Michael Jeffrey and Paul Raven, neither of whom were anywhere close to to the required standard.

We'd finished the previous season with a bad run too, playing some really turgid stuff, but 2 games in did seem to come from nowhere, aye. I remember being very shocked when I saw it on ceefax page 308*

*page number guessed

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
blundellpork
April 18, 2020, 9:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from Abdul19

We'd finished the previous season with a bad run too, playing some really turgid stuff, but 2 games in did seem to come from nowhere, aye. I remember being very shocked when I saw it on ceefax page 308*

*page number guessed

312 😂🤓

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Abdul19
April 18, 2020, 9:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from blundellpork

312 😂🤓

AB getting the boot surely deserved a full page! 😀

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
April 19, 2020, 5:23pm
Guest User
Always thought Andy Love often misjudged the trajectory of the ball and flapped a bit.
Reply: 19 - 22
Spidey
April 21, 2020, 12:07am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from 140067
Always thought Andy Love often misjudged the trajectory of the ball and flapped a bit.

Met him when he was a security guard at Boyes, a really nice friendly lad, hard to believe he got into trouble down Meggies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
diehardmariner
April 22, 2020, 4:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
Problem in that 1998/99 season was that we had no goals in us at a all.

Groves got double figures, I think around 15, but other than that we had nothing at all.Just checked and we scored 40 goals all season, that's pretty poor for any side never mind one that finished 11th.  Second worst in the division behind Bury who stayed up on goal difference.

Donovan wasn't the same player as the previous season, I think he carried an injury for most of the campaign.  Nogan, Ashcroft, Clare and Lester probably mustered a similar figure to Groves between them and Livvo, who was never prolific, I think had started to play more games at centre back.

In hindsight, Lee Ashcroft wasn't really what we needed in the summer of 1998.  Although he formed a decent pairing with Jack Lester a year or so later, he didn't really get the goals we needed.  Lester never scored enough goals for us, bizarre as he scored for fun everywhere else he went.  Lee Nogan was, in my opinion, never quite good enough for the second tier albeit an excellent foil in the division below.

Groves was at his finest that season and for large periods carried the team quite a bit going forward.  Defensively we were sound but going forward we didn't have the same swagger as the year before.  1997/98 we were swashbuckling and looked like we could score from anywhere on the pitch.  Fast forward a few months and two of our most creative influences were struggling with injuries (Donovan and Burnett) and we seemed a lot more cautious, especially after Christmas.  I always got the feeling that Buckley almost felt we shouldn't have gone toe-to-toe with the likes of Birmingham and Wolves.   The one thing I always felt Laws had over Buckley was that he didn't care who the opposition was, but Buckley became very focused on the threat of who we were playing.

When he was sacked, Buckley was hung out to dry.   Don't get me wrong there was some absolute dire football on display in the previous months and we were so negative it was unreal at times.  But having had Jack Lester sold for £300,000 in January and then getting a similar figure for Lee Ashcroft but having nothing to spend in the summer summed up the board position.  It felt like the board didn't want Buckley but weren't brave enough to sack him in the summer. Doing it after an opening day defeat to a newly promoted Preston who ended up in the play-offs and then picking up a point with ten men away at Portsmouth was bizarre.

Buckley ended up bringing in the likes of Michael Jeffrey and Paul Raven, presumably as they were cheap.  Another player he lost in that summer was Mark Lever because we couldn't compete financially.  As soon as Buckley was gone the purse strings were loosened and in came the likes of David Nielsen, Zhang Enhua, Menno Willems et al. on mega money....
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
grimsby pete
April 22, 2020, 4:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I don't remember what season it was but we played West Ham about the second from last home game and we had not scored many but only conceded 4 goals at home all season.

It was chucking it down and had to wait in the rain getting soaked until the ref gave a pitch inspection.

Finally got in the ground  wet through and we let in 5 one more than the other 20 games put together.

We did score one though so that was good 😉

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Season 1998-9

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.