1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
RonMariner
March 16, 2020, 11:29am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,864
Gold Stars: 231
Just seen an online interview with Josh Benson on The Athletic. Some of the points he makes:-

1. Ian Holloway  'He is brilliant.I feel like I am learning things every day. He is constantly giving me information and he has helped me improve.'

2. It's a big transition from under 23 football "Especially on match days with the fans and the atmosphere. You see how much it means to the Grimsby supporters compared to under-23 football where you are just playing to improve yourself."

3 His is enjoying being at Town and has settled in really well. he gets on with the lads.

He is out of contract at Burnley in the summer. I think he would be a great signing for us. He is happy here, and so it might well be an option.

Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
March 16, 2020, 12:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Fair comments and the crowd thing must make a difference.

I’d suspect it would depend on wages and areas of weakness identified elsewhere that may stop us pursuing him.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
grimsby pete
March 16, 2020, 12:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Very good signing if we could get him.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
diehardmariner
March 16, 2020, 1:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Realistically we're going to struggle to attract someone like Benson here on a permanent basis.

He's got a relatively decent pedigree, he's got attributes that are far better than League Two and we're not able to do a Salford/Mansfield and pay over the odds to get that sort of player here.

I suppose what we can offer is that we could become a bit of a finishing school for someone like Benson, not ready to play in the top flight but needs to have regular football or risks becoming stagnant and is also out of contract.

I guess attracting those players would have to be a bit of a) come here and we'll get you ready but also b) to get you here in the first place we'll make it easy for a bigger club to come and sign you once you impress, i.e a measly release fee and/or some sort of agreement.

I guess this is where you find out the type of players you want. I imagine Holloway wants player who are hungry and with a bit of a point to prove.  Someone who's happy to go and sit in the Championship reserves on £8k a week probably isn't the type of character he wants to have in his squad.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
fishboyUTM
March 17, 2020, 7:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
I would be staggered if we could sign a player of his ability. If Burnley want him, I'd expect him to re-sign for them. But Holloway is our trump card and you never know. We are a good club and we are on the up, he would become a better player over the next couple of seasons and still be very young with the best part of 100 first team league games under his belt rather than meaningless U23 football. Win Win if he were to sign for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
coddy60
March 18, 2020, 6:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
I helped his Mum find her hotel in Benidorm this February, hope she remembers when advising him...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
Ipswin
March 18, 2020, 6:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from coddy60
I helped his Mum find her hotel in Benidorm this February, hope she remembers when advising him...

If she's stuck there in the lockdown I don't think she'll be recommending you or GTFC

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
moosey_club
March 18, 2020, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from coddy60

waiting around after a game for players autographs, tweeting them etc i can take as being a fan....but following a loan players mum around Benidorm is a bit worrying  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
Teesknees
March 19, 2020, 8:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from coddy60

She owns a hotel and can't remember where it is?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Benson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.