Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Maybe.....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 292 Guests

Maybe.....

This thread currently has 6,869 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner Timsky
March 4, 2020, 1:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Lewis111
Strange post.  IH has so much experience and we are unbelievably lucky to have him. At least at the end of the season he can rebuild having given everyone the opportunity. Remain in the division was his aim and he has smashed that. People need to be realistic in what this current squad can achieve. I honestly believe we will be absolutely electric next season with a full pre season under his belt.

Wasn't too strange Lewis - certainly had stranger on this board! Welcome along

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
RonMariner
March 4, 2020, 2:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,863
Gold Stars: 231
Easy to forget how dire we were until IH arrived. We had been bottom of the form table for months. Three months without a win, and seven games without a goal. That was what he had to work with.  The truth is that the squad he inherited were performing at relegation standard.

We have had some good results since then, but the we have been found out by the likes of Swindon, Northampton and Plymouth, which is to be expected when a top side meets a poor team.

He has brought in players like Clarke, Benson, Glennon and Gironden who are certainly of better quality, and that is how we have managed to pull off a few good results. Plus revitalising Vernam.

But the sad fact is that we are sloppy in defence and routinely gift goals to the opposition. That makes it difficult to get a consistent string of good results together even if we are banging a few goals in the other end. The problem we have been complaining about for years, lack of creativity in midfield and service to the front line, remains.  

It's clear that IH will need to make substantial changes to the playing staff in the summer. More reliable defenders, more creative midfielders, and sharper forwards. We have some talented players he will want to keep, like Hendrie, Vernam, Clarke and Wright. But I agree with other posters. The starting 11 in August will contain a large number of new faces.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
pen penfras
March 4, 2020, 2:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from RonMariner
Easy to forget how dire we were until IH arrived. We had been bottom of the form table for months. Three months without a win, and seven games without a goal. That was what he had to work with.  The truth is that the squad he inherited were performing at relegation standard.

We have had some good results since then, but the we have been found out by the likes of Swindon, Northampton and Plymouth, which is to be expected when a top side meets a poor team.

He has brought in players like Clarke, Benson, Glennon and Gironden who are certainly of better quality, and that is how we have managed to pull off a few good results. Plus revitalising Vernam.

But the sad fact is that we are sloppy in defence and routinely gift goals to the opposition. That makes it difficult to get a consistent string of good results together even if we are banging a few goals in the other end. The problem we have been complaining about for years, lack of creativity in midfield and service to the front line, remains.  

It's clear that IH will need to make substantial changes to the playing staff in the summer. More reliable defenders, more creative midfielders, and sharper forwards. We have some talented players he will want to keep, like Hendrie, Vernam, Clarke and Wright. But I agree with other posters. The starting 11 in August will contain a large number of new faces.  

Since Max Wright waltzed through the Macclesfield team 5 months ago, what has he done to justify being classed as a talented player? He's shown flashes of potential here and there, but a long way to go until he is considered good enough for starting in a team wanting to be in the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
ginnywings
March 4, 2020, 2:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
We've been playing catch up with games in hand, leading to Sat, Tues, Sat fixtures for a while on heavy pitches. Also a certain amount of experimenting going on leading to inconsistency. Just cast your mind back to how bad we were before he came in. We even lost to Stevenage, who haven't  wone a game since I don't think. Ollie took us from bottom end of the form table to top 4. The players still have an ingrained defence mechanism and drop deep as soon as they get behind. Ollie is here for the long haul and will change that mentality, but it will take time and several new players yet.

Nobody complained when he rotated the team at Colchester, or at home to Newport  both of which we won. Just let him get on with it, decide who is not up to it and have some patience in the process. I know we keep saying it's all about next season with every manager change we go through, but this time I think there is a long term structure taking place with Ollie at the heart of it. If it goes mammaries up again, I think we can all pack up and forget it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
TownSNAFU5
March 4, 2020, 2:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
I agree with an earlier poster who highlighted that we too many players in the same who duplicate each other, rather than complementing each other.   CBs and midfield.

For Hanson being out we have the opposite problem:  no plan B or plan C.

Jolley must take responsibility for this waste of money and player-resources.  All history and academic now.  

Ollie will have seen enough (good and bad play) by the end of the season to know who he wants and who he doesn’t.  I trust his judgement.  Whether we can improve sufficiently to challenge for promotion next season will be an intriguing prospect to watch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
Lewis111
March 4, 2020, 3:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +11
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Wasn't too strange Lewis - certainly had stranger on this board! Welcome along

Thanks mate. Old poster but lost my account details so just resigned up. I really like the fact IH is honest in his interviews. It shows what a great manager he is. I would rather he be open and explain what he got wrong and how he can learn from it with this particular squad, rather than brush over it when it is clear to see anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
Tommy
March 4, 2020, 3:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from pen penfras

Since Max Wright waltzed through the Macclesfield team 5 months ago, what has he done to justify being classed as a talented player? He's shown flashes of potential here and there, but a long way to go until he is considered good enough for starting in a team wanting to be in the playoffs.

Have to agree with this.

I like Max and want him to succeed, but he had a good run of starts around the time Limbrick was in charge and was very quiet.

Bringing the likes of Clarke and Tilley in has shown the quality we need to play in the front 3. And Max, at the moment, is only going to realistically have a role from the bench. Hopefully he can start to make an impact when he gets his opportunities to come on.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
Gaffer58
March 4, 2020, 4:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
As Ollie said, “we’re not going up or down this season now” and after the games he’s been manager and what he’s seen in training I would assume he basically already knows who he keeps for next season, so he probably wishes this season was over so that he can get on with his summers work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
arryarryarry
March 4, 2020, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 123614

He doesn't have a lot of choice atm, seeing as the transfer window is closed.

Green has been pretty hopeless of late, absolutely no point in him playing last night. He could have played Clarke down the middle as he is a bit lightweight in the middle of the park.

If it's a case of experimenting why not try one of the reserves / juniors, they couldn't have done any worse.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
Mayaman
March 5, 2020, 9:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
I don't think it's a team full of dross at all.  We have proved that we can play. But you have to stick to a group of players so that they gel.  Making one or two changes may be necessary but five at a time clearly doesn't work.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Maybe.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.