Reply: 10 - 50
headingly_mariner
September 2, 2019, 8:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
That’s a really good interview. Surprised he was so open about Town considering he’s now managing Scunny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
toontown
September 2, 2019, 9:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Fair play that is as open and honest an interview as you could ask for in modern football when your now the manager of local rivals and at the bottom of the league.
90%+ of managers would have wrapped it up after 30 seconds with a "i dont want to talk about Grimsby, i'm now the manager of Scunthorpe so that's where my focus is, I'm not thinking about the past" type comment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
Poojah
September 2, 2019, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,882
Gold Stars: 1,527
I think it’s probably fair to say that neither Paul Hurst nor our fan base fully appreciated what they had when he was here.

I’m currently very happy with the direction Michael Jolley is taking us, but there’s no doubt whatsoever that Hurst did a monumentally better job for this club than his two successors in Bignot and Slade. Yes, you can argue he should have got us promoted sooner but as he points out we were on the receiving end of some shocking officiating at key times in big games.

Likewise, I think Hurst has also learned from his experiences at Ipswich and now Scunny that there will always be dissenting voices when things aren’t going so well on the pitch. It’s not a ‘Grimsby’ thing, and it seems now that he at least appreciates that our support went above and beyond to try and help get us back in the league with the likes of OP and our away followings in general. I do think there’s something special about this club and it’s fans.

Sadly, when he talks about looking forward to the derby games in the league, there’s a look in his eye that suggests he knows he may well not make it that far...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
grimsby pete
September 2, 2019, 10:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Very good interview if he spoke like that when at town he might not have had so many crictics

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
Fishy clapper
September 2, 2019, 11:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Judging by the X’s we must have more than our fair share of midgets on the fishy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
Swansea_Mariner
September 2, 2019, 11:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
Is a good interview, he comes across well, I like him. He was in charge  of us at a very difficult time, yes I think he took longer than he should have to get promotion, but equally he did not get the rub of the green against  Gateshead or Rovers.

Sad that it sounds that his friendship with Scott completely  broke down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
Oly1987
September 3, 2019, 4:43am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,228
Gold Stars: 22
Nice to see him speak so nicely about the club especially when he is now managing one of our rivals. I get him getting frustrated about not getting certain things especially as this then continued with bignot having the same complaints. As for us being a great club to get into full time management I hope that Jolly will get the same experience from managing us. Great to see he doesnt harbour any Ill will towards the club or the fans and couldn't big up Towns support enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
1mickylyons
September 3, 2019, 7:02am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
One of his better interviews from one of our better Manager`s whilst I was never a huge fan due to his cautious nature especially at home he made us a very difficult team to beat and is one of only 3 Manager`s in my 40 years to get us promoted.In my opinion he should have enough about him to turn Scunny around and get them going but he looks very downbeat to the point he fears the Grimsby Reaper
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
GtfcGarner
September 3, 2019, 7:29am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
The way he speaks about us the twinkle in his eye is that he kind of misses us and the team we had. I'd be furious as a Scunthorpe fan but it's kind of made my anger to Hursty a little less so, wish he would of been so open when he was managing us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.