toontown
September 2, 2019, 10:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I think we need a quality defensive midfielder. Would allow Hess some freedom to get forward more. I think he’s a bit wasted playing the anchor role. He’s good at it, but I think he’s more of a threat going forward.

Disagree with that. Hess is superb at intercepting and at tackling, not especially good going forward, needs to be left in that anchor role.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
Pogo
September 2, 2019, 10:31am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
Quoted from toontown

Disagree with that. Hess is superb at intercepting and at tackling, not especially good going forward, needs to be left in that anchor role.

For me Hess has been class so far, Hanson obviously gets the headlines and rightly so but Hess Had kept everything ticking over very well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 66
toontown
September 2, 2019, 10:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from mariner91

I wouldn't mind getting someone in who can play the holding role purely because Clifton, Cook and Whitehouse definitely can't do it so if something were to happen to Hess, God forbid, then we'd be playing Hewitt there. Who isn't terrible but is significantly less effective than Hess plus we'd then lose his crossing from out wide which is one of our main attacking strengths when we've got Hanson in the box.

On the subject of Hess, he really needs tying down with an improved contract.

I think Clifton would be avle to play in the defensive midfield role. Not as well as Hess clearly but he has the energy to get about and tackle etc. Depends if he has the discipline for it, on the rare occasions breaking forward he would offer more too.

It may well be that Hess would rather see out his contract and see what is on offer from other clubs rather than be tied to another contract here, he really is playing very well and may be in league 1 next year even if we aren't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
rancido
September 2, 2019, 10:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from Hagrid

Not “ in the know”. But we arent for a second going to have a big budget and you know that as well as i do so stop being difficult

Not being difficult but I don't know what our budget is so I'm not speculating what it is. You say it's mid-table but it could be 7th , 8th or 9th . Judging by the signings so far then it must be half decent and to think that MJ wants another signing then it surely must be competitive.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 66
Jarmo.Is.God
September 2, 2019, 10:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Hess would walk into plenty of League 1 teams for me, incredible player, can bring the ball down and play and make it look effortless.

Just an attacking, creative midfielder who can ping balls out with to Ogbu & Green, and looks for the forward through ball
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
September 2, 2019, 10:55am
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
It's vital that we get a creative central midfielder because without one, we'll never score the goals we need.  

You do know we are the top goal scorers in League 2 atm, right?

Reply: 45 - 66
Mariner_09
September 2, 2019, 10:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from 123614

You do know we are the top goal scorers in League 2 atm, right?

Whooooosh

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 66
scott_gtfc_89
September 2, 2019, 11:14am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Think some business is about to happen as Sam
Strandt has posted on twitter saying here we go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
1mickylyons
September 2, 2019, 11:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
For me the players who came in on loan and made a massive impact in recent years were Connor Townsend and Elliot Embleton plus Dean Henderson. To me GTFC especially under MJ have proved they will play young players and that should stand the Club in very good stead when they call on bigger teams to loan players to us. We were very unfortunate regarding Henderson that the then Manager fell out with him and the loan was terminated under a cloud. This is a very good Club and environment for young players to come and get game time and I hope we remind other Clubs of this. I wonder if that 16 year old Barcalona wonder kid likes fish and chips  ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
Hagrid
September 2, 2019, 11:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
club have done a GIFF of a slot machine with a players head being knocked off the end, no clue who it is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Deadline Movement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.