ginnywings
February 9, 2019, 8:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from fleabag1970
He is a nice bloke and a very good manager . He always had us challenging at the business end of the conference . Which given our leadership was nothing short of brilliance . He gave us a team to be proud of . Most players had songs dedicated to them . He gave us some great moments in a poor league . Had he been backed when we ee entered the FL he would of given us more great moments . Instead our board let 2managers urine away money and nearly get us relegated again ......... Alan Buckley wasn't loved by a section of our support which makes it no supprise that that same section didn't like PH .  He brought success and a winning mentality back to the team . If the same supporters carry on beating up on Jolley he to will have his head turned and we will end up with another merry go round ..... All Imo of course

Skewed thinking there. I didn't like PH because his brand of football was, and probably still is, very dull. I loved Buckley because not only did he win stuff, his team did it with some incredibly exciting football. Buckley was dour himself, but his team was poetry in motion, so it didn't really matter. Hurst was dour off the pitch, and his team were the same on it. All our group of regulars loved the Buckley era, and none of them loved the Hurst era, so as far as i'm concerned it's not the "same section". Neither is it just about winning stuff either, because even if Jolley fails, at least he is trying to do it the right way on the pitch. Football should be fun to watch, and it very rarely was under Hurst. That's my gripe with him and any other manager who sets up a team the same way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
NorthseaMariner
February 9, 2019, 8:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
For me,under Hurst every team we played he spoke of them as though they were world beaters and we would be lucky to get any kind of result against them. So we had to play a nervous defensive game, regardless of who they were.

Also he made the fans feel, I think, like we were some kind of nuisance, instead of the people paying his salary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
ginnywings
February 9, 2019, 8:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
For me,under Hurst every team we played he spoke of them as though they were world beaters and we would be lucky to get any kind of result against them. So we had to play a nervous defensive game, regardless of who they were.

Also he made the fans feel, I think, like we were some kind of nuisance, instead of the people paying his salary.

Probably why he fitted in at our club and got a long tenure. "Us" against the fans, the pesky feckers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
Mrs Doyle
February 9, 2019, 9:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Pretty much sums my feelings up as well the man was as dull as dishwater and I am sure he viewed Operation Promotion as putting unnecessary extra pressure on himself and the players rather than an incentive.

Never endeared himself with the fans the "Spoilt" rant really came back and bit him on the backside during and after the Halifax fiasco plus the ear cupping at Wembley confirmed what he thought of us.

Probably true what he said about nothing changing when we got promoted though to be fair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
jamesgtfc
February 9, 2019, 9:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,054
Gold Stars: 190
If we had backed Hurst and given him the back room team that he wanted, I still believe he would have gone that season.

Bristol Rovers kept most of their promotion team whilst the following year, we dismantled ours. Players that fans could identify with were gone in an instant, replaced by seasoned professionals picking up their last contract (Vernon).

I doubt he will manage in the Premier League, unless he takes a club there himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
oochiad
February 9, 2019, 9:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
He got lucky with his favourite Monkhouse being sidelined and forcing changes otherwise Braintree would of had us in that playoff(plus the luck of their playing giving us that peno) That’s how I saw it, otherwise we’d still be in the conference. Stubborn describes him so well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
Yoda
February 9, 2019, 9:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
He has zero chance of managing in the premiership.
Took league 2 players to the championship and only won one game.
For me i was glad when he left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 9, 2019, 9:18am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Gave us a team to be proud of and that we connected with for the first time in many years. His players loved him. With a bit of commitment from the board we might have gone straight through league 2. We backed the wrong horses and spent the money after he’d left.

He’s a good manager and I’m sure he’ll be back in the game soon. Young bloke who I expect to manage in the prem eventually.

I hope you are being ironic. He builds teams that don’t lose many but struggle to win a lot. His risk free strategy quite likely cost Shrewsbury automatic promotion because he would not push on when they were top of the league, just like he nearly cost Town promotion by settling for playoffs too soon and with his devotion to the Monkhouse Plan. He is a good judge of a player but only at the lower level. I would bet that everyone in football now knows all that and it is not what prem clubs (or championship) want from their manager and why he is still waiting for the call. His best bet could be to go abroad (Lancashire?) before his name is completely forgotten or the only jobs will be L2/Conference relegation candidates, back where he started.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2019, 9:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,020
Gold Stars: 232
I am grateful to Hurst as he got us up and though we didn't walk the league that year I though we where a half decent side even if at times we lumped it long.

However comments like "When we got into the Football League I expected some things to change but very little did" portrays him as a bit stupid IMHO.

In all reality what did he expect we got up in May and he left in October after all that time in non league in reality the club wasn't going to pull millions out of it's backside was it. Maybe if Hurst had been a bit more loyal and stayed to make it work things would have been different.  

We're fortunate with MJ he understands football and finance many managers struggle with at least one of those.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
fleabag1970
February 9, 2019, 9:45am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Skewed thinking ?  You have a short memory . Next time you bump into Alan ask him about it ..... I was there through it all and a section of support were pleased when he was sacked . That is a fact ....

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst interview in the metro

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.