5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
pizzzza
December 11, 2018, 10:20am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
To be honest, I am surprised any newspapers are still printed in 2018, thought they'd have died out years ago now that you can get your news online which is in real time, at no cost, doesn't kill trees, in the palm of your hand etc., etc.,
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
gtfcmd
December 11, 2018, 11:08am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +210
Gold Stars: 3
they only print old news that you can find on facebook or other social media over priced for what you get
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
Ipswin
December 11, 2018, 11:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I think the demise of newspapers (especially the broadsheets) in favour of on line 'newsbites' is very sad but in the case of the (once great) Telewag I'll make an exception

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 11, 2018, 11:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I wouldn’t pay 70p a day for toilet paper.

There is a lot to be said for the digital newspaper but it is no longer truly local. The people there are bloggers and net surfers, a lot of the stuff is just cut and paste. The real problem with the GT is that it has been taken over by the Daily Mirror group who have a central editing policy and dictate a lot of content for the local media. There is a definite political slant now. Under the previous owners the GT editors like Michelle Lalor were a lot freer to reflect the locality. It is the same in Norfolk, Archant Press do the same with all their papers and the Johnson Press do the same in Yorkshire. It is a pity when you remember what the GT was like with proper journos like Roy Line and John Kirkby.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
1mickylyons
December 11, 2018, 11:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Well those of us of a certain age will remember having scrap books and painstakingly cutting out all the Town stuff and pasting them in. Gutted I chucked mine out for nostalgia but I can still visualize the cut out of Wilko`s diving header at Goodison and the headlines about  Town making Custers last stand look like a tea party
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
NorthseaMariner
December 11, 2018, 11:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Mainly buy it for Geoff Fords column on a Friday. Other than that, I only occasionally buy it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
1mickylyons
December 11, 2018, 11:33am
Special Brew Drinker
I wouldn’t pay 70p a day for toilet paper.

There is a lot to be said for the digital newspaper but it is no longer truly local. The people there are bloggers and net surfers, a lot of the stuff is just cut and paste. The real problem with the GT is that it has been taken over by the Daily Mirror group who have a central editing policy and dictate a lot of content for the local media. There is a definite political slant now. Under the previous owners the GT editors like Michelle Lalor were a lot freer to reflect the locality. It is the same in Norfolk, Archant Press do the same with all their papers and the Johnson Press do the same in Yorkshire. It is a pity when you remember what the GT was like with proper journos like Roy Line and John Kirkby.

I totally agree when I first started work all the guys bought either the Sun or Daily Mirror in the main and I would skim through them thinking how poor they were compared to the Telegraph. When it got delivered it was a race between me and the old man to read it first he hated it if he got it 2nd hand but it was a worthy read. The stuff on Town which is the main bit I want to read is like you say regurgitated crap often from places like this.Journalism is all but dead especially locally and with the talent we have had Lowther,Lalor, Kirby,Burman to name a few it`s a crying shame something can`t be done. I would think a local Monthly rather than Weekly would be the way to go now in print or something Digital done by local people. Once this is lost though much like the Sports telegraph we will be worse off.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
Les Brechin
December 11, 2018, 11:39am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
It's gone from being called The Grimsby Evening Telegrapgh to just The Grimsby Telegraph.

In hindsight, due to the time it's printed now it should really be called The Grimsby Yesterday Telegraph.

Who remembers the time when there were 2 editions. The one printed for the out of town shops and then a final "Town" edition which wasn't printed until about 4 or 5pm in the afternoon.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
1mickylyons
December 11, 2018, 11:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
It's gone from being called The Grimsby Evening Telegrapgh to just The Grimsby Telegraph.

In hindsight, due to the time it's printed now it should really be called The Grimsby Yesterday Telegraph.

Who remembers the time when there were 2 editions. The one printed for the out of town shops and then a final "Town" edition which wasn't printed until about 4 or 5pm in the afternoon.

Yes and sadly that all went when the main part of the print and offices moved out from near the flyover.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
RichMariner
December 11, 2018, 12:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
I grew up wanting to be a journalist. I did all my GCSEs, A-levels and spent time on work experience at the Grimsby Telegraph. I even got a diploma in journalism (humble brag) but when it got to the point where I tried to break into the industry... in 2002... it was on its bottom, even then.

It's really sad to see the state of the local paper now. My grandparents used to get it every day but I haven't picked up or even seen a copy in years.

If the standard of journalism on their online version is anything to go by, I really don't see the point.

As many have already pointed out, print can't keep pace with breaking news so it needed to diversify, which it hasn't. Journalists are now asked to re-write content, and very few investigate or report like they used to.

If sales nosedive then they cut costs, have fewer journalists working there and so the quality suffers as they're each stretched to cover a number of jobs and stories. It's a really sad state of affairs and the trend is irreversible.

Each time I look on the Telegraph website it's full of articles that are padded out and dreamt up from nowhere as there's no one going down to the club and getting actual quotes off players. And the headlines are all very click-baity, all along the lines of 'why you need to know this'.

Well I already know. Between the official site, social media and even Cod Almighty, there's nothing new that the Telegraph can tell me. They even lift Jolley's comments from the same interview he gives iFollow and Humberside.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Local News

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.