Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Lincoln City.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 237 Guests

Team for Lincoln City.

This thread currently has 4,323 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
August 16, 2018, 4:19pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
Dhm's formation looks more like a 4-4-1-1 to me. Clifton and Wright would almost certainly be pushed back into wing positions leaving the 2 up top. If we don't win the midfield battle we'll offer nowt up front because Cook isn't capable of leading the line (though I'm sure he'll win a couple of free-kicks) and Vernam isn't likely to be able to play off him.

If we do have the better of midfield, the ball will have to stay on the ground or be put into the corners for players to run onto. Any time the ball goes forward in the air, we'll lose it.

A big gamble chucking in Wright at the deep end though his extra pace will be useful.

Unfortunately, that line-up just screams 'lightweight' to me.

It's an interesting option and one I'd like to see at some point this season.

I agree that Golly's is the most likely line up. And might just work.
Reply: 20 - 23
FrazerGTFC
August 16, 2018, 6:17pm

Grimsby fan
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -221
Gold Stars: 1
Mckewon

Davis
Whitmore
Collins
Dixon

Hesselthanther
Welsh
Woodford

Vernam
Cook
Hooper  I think Jolly will do this

Never be positive about town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
MuddyWaters
August 16, 2018, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner
Need some pace and energy on the left hand side because either in a back five or four, the combination of Dixon and Collins is too slow.  That's an absolute must for me.

We also need to put energy in midfield which rules out playing both Welsh and Woolford.  Personally I don't think we can play both in the same midfield.  Both have their own attributes and offer something different but with Welsh occupying that screening role it effectively leaves the two guys ahead of him needing to do a lot of running, which isn't Woolford's game at all.  

The issue down the left I think can be sorted with Max Wright.  Can play on either flank but is right footed.  The midfield situation to be boils down to who you would prefer in there.  Welsh or Woolford?  It's Welsh every day for me which only leaves Hessenthaler and Clifton as your midfielders, which is the two I would have gone with anyway.

Presuming we stick with a variation on 4-5-1 that leaves a question mark over who starts up top and who starts on the right wing.  I don't like Vernam out wide, I think he's wasted and I don't think anyone we have is really great at playing up front alone, Cook probably the best of the options.

With all that in mind and even though I advocated Clifton in the middle a matter of sentences ago, I would be tempted to go with Clifton and Wright wide (yes, I know Clifton isn't a winger but who else do we have?) with Welsh and Hessenthaler in the middle, allowing Vernam to support Cook from deep.  

Probably look a bit like:

Davis Whitmore Collins Dixon
          Welsh Hessenthaler
Clifton       Vernam      Wright
                 Cook

The inclusion of Wright to make his League debut in a local derby scares the excrement out of me.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
HertsGTFC
August 16, 2018, 8:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from diehardmariner
Need some pace and energy on the left hand side because either in a back five or four, the combination of Dixon and Collins is too slow.  That's an absolute must for me.

We also need to put energy in midfield which rules out playing both Welsh and Woolford.  Personally I don't think we can play both in the same midfield.  Both have their own attributes and offer something different but with Welsh occupying that screening role it effectively leaves the two guys ahead of him needing to do a lot of running, which isn't Woolford's game at all.  

The issue down the left I think can be sorted with Max Wright.  Can play on either flank but is right footed.  The midfield situation to be boils down to who you would prefer in there.  Welsh or Woolford?  It's Welsh every day for me which only leaves Hessenthaler and Clifton as your midfielders, which is the two I would have gone with anyway.

Presuming we stick with a variation on 4-5-1 that leaves a question mark over who starts up top and who starts on the right wing.  I don't like Vernam out wide, I think he's wasted and I don't think anyone we have is really great at playing up front alone, Cook probably the best of the options.

With all that in mind and even though I advocated Clifton in the middle a matter of sentences ago, I would be tempted to go with Clifton and Wright wide (yes, I know Clifton isn't a winger but who else do we have?) with Welsh and Hessenthaler in the middle, allowing Vernam to support Cook from deep.  

Probably look a bit like:

Davis Whitmore Collins Dixon
          Welsh Hessenthaler
Clifton       Vernam      Wright
                 Cook

I like this but if we lined up that way I think MJ would go for Hooper ahead of Wright, though as it’s a Derby then the local lads should both get a look in at some point.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Lincoln City.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.