This thread currently has 4,801 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerGaz
November 22, 2017, 1:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Followed the end of last season while I was in India for 6 weeks, one of my colleagues is now over here from India for 6 months and I took him to the Accy game so that counts for him.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
jock dock tower
November 22, 2017, 1:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Have never heard of anyone who went on the Icelandic tour back in 80s, or the youth tournaments they used to play at NAC Brdea in the 70s Anyone know different? The NAC tournaments were actually won by Town (twice I think) and were used a breeding ground for all the young lads that came to prominence in the 1970s.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
TownSNAFU5
November 22, 2017, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,879
Gold Stars: 42
Great life experiences JDT. Very frightening at the time, but something to tell the Fishy and
your grandchildren years later.   Probably shape you as a person as well.

The most "exotic" experience I have watched Town was in Scunny in about 1970.  Four of us (all teenagers) caught a very early bus from Mablethorpe.  We were in the ground early in the Scunny end, along with a large contingent of Town fans.  Until more home fans came in and we were forced out.

After the game many Town fans were cut-off at some crossroads and chased by a much larger group of Scunny fans.  Weall had to ran hard to get out of the way.

In the chaos the 4 of us were split into pairs.  We could not get to the bus station to get home.  We had to hitchhike out of Scunny to get to Mablethorpe.  Hitching at a large roundabout (without any colours showing), a van of gypo's came by.  The van had sliding doors. I shouted a warning but as it came by my mate got hit across the back with a walking stick. Very painful.    (We did all make it home eventually).

Scumthorpe is therefore not my favourite away game or town.  Bad memories.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
jock dock tower
November 22, 2017, 2:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
I well remember a "soccer special" - those were the days - going to Scunny and somebody pulling the chord about a mile outside the town. Police came and weren't very happy at all, especially when  the train emptied and everyone went across the fields to get into Scunny. Think that was probably 1972-3.

The football specials were a great day out, as did the old early bird trains to London when we played the likes of Brentford, or the Manchester line for games like Bury, where you got your train tickets for about 75% cost price if you saved Persil vouchers! Lost count pof the amount of times they got totally wrecked by a few nutters, which eventually led to them being disbanded of course.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
forza ivano
November 22, 2017, 3:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from londonmariner2
I saw them play somewhere near Malmo in Sweden one preseason.
I remember seeing Livvo and Gallimore and a few others having a few in the main square in Malmo

Happy memories of both trips. Trelleborg was the playing field with the marquees and jazz band. i seemed to remember a lad getting very piissed  who ended up sitting on the Town bench in his kit. Ystaad was the othe game down there, lovely old Town centre where i discovered pear cider for the first time.
I think the Herfolge (with the tiger taxi) was the year after.Tiny village with a tupidly big ground for the size of the place.They'd unexpectedly won the Danish League and hosted Rangers the year before. We also played FC copenhagen, and had  avery pleasant evening intheir fans favourite Copenhagen bar
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
jock dock tower
November 22, 2017, 3:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Ystaad was a beautiful place. My wife and I had bed and breakfast with a lovely couple there for a week. It's where Wallander is filmed although I've never seen the ground on it.

Got taken around the ground by some proud committee men when I turned up early, and then spent the rest of the day drinking great beer outside their wee club whilst all the other Town fans were sat down, dry, near the halfway line!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
arryarryarry
November 24, 2017, 2:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jock dock tower
I well remember a "soccer special" - those were the days - going to Scunny and somebody pulling the chord about a mile outside the town. Police came and weren't very happy at all, especially when  the train emptied and everyone went across the fields to get into Scunny. Think that was probably 1972-3.

The football specials were a great day out, as did the old early bird trains to London when we played the likes of Brentford, or the Manchester line for games like Bury, where you got your train tickets for about 75% cost price if you saved Persil vouchers! Lost count pof the amount of times they got totally wrecked by a few nutters, which eventually led to them being disbanded of course.

I went on three special trains, one to Bolton, one to Hull City one Tuesday night and one to Wolves.

When the Hull train pulled into the station at Boothferry park hundreds climbed over a small fence and got in for nothing, on the way back the feds kept the train outside Thorne so when we got back to Grimsby it was after closing time.

The Wolves train broke down and we got their well after kick off.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
gytone
November 24, 2017, 9:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,024
Gold Stars: 8
I remember the wolves train breaking down and missing the kick-off we might have been a goal down when I got in can't remember for sure, only remember thousands of town fans and we had a crap view, happy days 😀
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Grim74
November 24, 2017, 10:03am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Ibiza town was a top weekend good turnout from town fans, only thing I can remember from  the game was the naked town fan swinging from the cross bar 😂

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
Bigdog
November 24, 2017, 10:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Grim74
Ibiza town was a top weekend good turnout from town fans, only thing I can remember from  the game was the naked town fan swinging from the cross bar 😂

The island's got a couple of Spanish fifth tier clubs, San Rafel and UD Ibiza as well as the team we played then, Sant Antoni de Portmany and a couple of other clubs further down in standard but with half decent stadiums. There's around a dozen leagues at fifth tier in Spain that are regionalised, so below fourth tier English football, but would make for a livelier pre-season tour than Devon..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Exotic places watching Town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.