Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: RichMariner, May 26, 2019, 2:56pm
There's an article on BBC Sport in which Shaun Harvey says:

"Fans not happy about the investment that is going into their club. Trust me, without them [the owners], they wouldn't have a club."

Read the full article here: [url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48412747[/url]

We're not happy about the investment that's going into our club but, in Harvey's opinion, if we didn't have Fenty, we wouldn't have a club.

Hmm. Seems to totally disregard a number of clubs in the 72 that are fan-owned and thriving because their previous owners were selfish, greedy, reckless or all three.
Posted by: golfer, May 26, 2019, 3:18pm; Reply: 1
In a lot of cases I for once have to agree with bstrd Harvey
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 26, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 2
Did you have to bring him up.... just had my Sunday lunch and seeing his name made me want to throw up a little bit :(
Posted by: fiveallive, May 26, 2019, 3:43pm; Reply: 3
I'm fed up of the lack of investment but there no one banging on Fenty door willing to take the club on plus pay him his loans back.

When you look at clubs like Hartlepool in the past have nearly gone under, at the moment under Fenty were stuck in a loop of free transfers and loans.

Where stuck in the Fenty loop to someone wants to take over the club, which could never happen.

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 26, 2019, 4:36pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from fiveallive
I'm fed up of the lack of investment but there no one banging on Fenty door willing to take the club on plus pay him his loans back.

When you look at clubs like Hartlepool in the past have nearly gone under, at the moment under Fenty were stuck in a loop of free transfers and loans.

Where stuck in the Fenty loop to someone wants to take over the club, which could never happen.

I know it's not quite so easy but if I were to want to sell my house I would put it on the market and not just trust to telling a few close friends and neighbours that I was looking to sell, hoping someone might just get wind of it and on the off-chance come knocking at my door

Maybe JSF has gone outside of the GY/Clee area to promote his intentions to move on, but my feeling is he's just sitting at BP waiting for someone to come along and ask if he's open to suggestions and NOT actively marketing it to a wider potential audience
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 26, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from RichMariner
There's an article on BBC Sport in which Shaun Harvey says:

"Fans not happy about the investment that is going into their club. Trust me, without them [the owners], they wouldn't have a club."

Read the full article here: [url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48412747[/url]

We're not happy about the investment that's going into our club but, in Harvey's opinion, if we didn't have Fenty, we wouldn't have a club.

Hmm. Seems to totally disregard a number of clubs in the 72 that are fan-owned and thriving because their previous owners were selfish, greedy, reckless or all three.

He’s a male private isn’t he. The only reason there are professional football clubs in the first place is because of the fans.

Whereas it’s bad owners who have mortgaged clubs futures that have jeopardised their existence.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, May 26, 2019, 5:01pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I know it's not quite so easy but if I were to want to sell my house I would put it on the market and not just trust to telling a few close friends and neighbours that I was looking to sell, hoping someone who get wind of it and come knocking at my door

Maybe JSF has gone outside of the GY/Clee area to promote his intentions to move on, but my feeling is he's just sitting at BP waiting for someone to come along and ask if he's open to suggestions and not actively marketing it to a wider potential audience

The Club is listed on the stock exchange, any person who wants to invest in a football club can purchase shares and buy the club. Once they obtain a certain percentage of shares, they have to buy the other parties out. Any person can buy these shares, and I would expect that if any person was going to invest in a football club they would look at many factors, fan base, facilities, actchment area etc, and I would expect that Grimsby Town do not fit many, if any, of the requirements for investors.

We have poor facilities, a ground we own but is 40 years out of date, no parking, poor training facilities, and all of that has a benign debt of £1.8M lodged against it as security. The fan base is 5,000 at best, if we were to go up a division I doubt it would be much greater than this, and would doubt if by some miracle we got to the Championship, our gates just wouldn't be able to sustain it. Even if we had a brand spanking new 12,000 seater stadium, after the initial bounce, the ground would most likely be less than half full unless we got to the Championship and the gate is boosted by away fans.

The problem isn't John Fenty's benign loan, it's the additional investment that would be needed to try and get us to become a suitable investment prospect. We probably need £5M for a top of the range training complex, along with a brand new stadium which I would expect would be £25M+. After years of lack of investment, and I am suggesting this was going on well before John Fenty became chairman, we are in this situation where we need someone with about £30M to make us an attractive investment. How many investors are going to invest that amount of money, with no guarantee of return? Bigger clubs than ours have struggled to attract investment so can please can people stop saying Fenty is only putting up "For Sale" signs on an Asda noticeboard when the issue is the only thing we have for sale is the dreams and wishes of 5,000 loyal supporters.
Posted by: Barrattstander, May 26, 2019, 11:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from SteffiMariner
The Club is listed on the stock exchange, any person who wants to invest in a football club can purchase shares and buy the club.

This is not quite true as the shares are not openly traded, unless the club issued more shares any potential buyer would have to find a seller. This begs the question why is Mike Parker hanging on to 22.5% of the club if he no longer has any interest in being involved.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 27, 2019, 11:16am; Reply: 8
reliant on benovalent owners....because the EFL/PL/FA have stitched up the clubs down the pyramid with the way the massive monies in the game are distributed.
Just about every aspect of the game benefits the top few clubs in the Premier League.....we are reliant on rich individuals as a result.

and Mr Harvey who has been at the helm whilst some of the most ridiculous schemes have been introduced has to shoulder some of the blame.  
Posted by: RonMariner, May 27, 2019, 12:56pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from moosey_club

Just about every aspect of the game benefits the top few clubs in the Premier League.....we are reliant on rich individuals as a result.  

That's a good point. The reason why the Premier league was formed in the first place was to enable the top clubs to take a larger share of the TV revenues.

I don't think the PL cares two hoots about the lower leagues. Why would they? The top clubs are all owned by foreign billionaires with no connection to or affinity with towns in England where the lower league clubs are based.  
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 27, 2019, 4:20pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from RonMariner

That's a good point. The reason why the Premier league was formed in the first place was to enable the top clubs to take a larger share of the TV revenues.

I don't think the PL cares two hoots about the lower leagues. Why would they? The top clubs are all owned by foreign billionaires with no connection to or affinity with towns in England where the lower league clubs are based.  

How dare you Ron.... we all know that it was formed to allow England to win the World Cup again

It was a long term plan of course.... 26 years to get to the semi finals and who knows when, but we'll get to the final and eventually win it  one year ;)
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:41pm