Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: RoboCod, September 11, 2014, 3:06pm
[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29135764[/url]
Is anyone at all surprised? Seems a big strop over such a piddling affair...a change of name.  More like he's bored and wants a different/bigger toy to play with.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 11, 2014, 3:11pm; Reply: 1
Maybe he can invest in Town.

I wouldn't mind our name being changed to Grimsby Mariners.  ;)
Posted by: RoboCod, September 11, 2014, 3:19pm; Reply: 2
Reckon he still wants the 'Tigers' brand out there...and we need some kind of sea/aquatic theme...meet him halfway with Grimsby Tiger Sharks!
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 11, 2014, 3:24pm; Reply: 3
We need Mariners in there though. Grimsby Tigershark Mariners? :-)
Posted by: jungleland, September 11, 2014, 3:24pm; Reply: 4
The chaps as mad as a box of frogs
Posted by: mimma, September 11, 2014, 3:58pm; Reply: 5
He's asking a very high price, wonder what happens if he can't find a buyer?

Maybe he can only sell it on if they change the name  ;D  
Posted by: Mariner21, September 11, 2014, 4:18pm; Reply: 6
Nah ta! I'd hate it if we sold out to some foreign power mad anus.

That said would i really moan????

Probably lol!!!
Posted by: mimma, September 11, 2014, 4:59pm; Reply: 7
You'd moan about anything :)
Posted by: jungleland, September 11, 2014, 5:28pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from mimma
He's asking a very high price, wonder what happens if he can't find a buyer?

Maybe he can only sell it on if they change the name  ;D  

He said on the radio if he can't find a buyer he was prepared to give the club away can't see that tho
Posted by: RoboCod, September 11, 2014, 5:36pm; Reply: 9
He ought to give the ground away  8)
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 11, 2014, 7:02pm; Reply: 10
Grimsby Ross Tigers has a good seafaring ring to it.

We keep the nickname Mariners,

He invests £50million at least or he can stuff it. ;D
Posted by: RoboCod, September 11, 2014, 7:30pm; Reply: 11
Surely the Ross family would jump 'aboard' that idea Pete ?(wohow)
Posted by: Meza, September 11, 2014, 7:40pm; Reply: 12
North Ferriby may prosper from this if they leave the club.  There is no way he would be interested and as a town fan I would want him at the helm he has shown what crap chairman he is with his spitting his dummy out rants.  Too unstable as a chairman for me which he could quite easily turn his back on a club and for me thats not ideal especially a club at our level.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 11, 2014, 8:40pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Meza
North Ferriby may prosper from this if they leave the club.  There is no way he would be interested and as a town fan I would want him at the helm he has shown what crap chairman he is with his spitting his dummy out rants.  Too unstable as a chairman for me which he could quite easily turn his back on a club and for me thats not ideal especially a club at our level.

A crap chairman?

I wish we had a crap chairman who took us to the Cup final, the Premier League and into Europe.

I jest really and agree we don't want a chairman who rants on the radio spitting his dummy out (!)

Trouble is in football everything is transitory - apart from the absolute giants of the game, they are very few clubs whose success, relative or otherwise, lasts for long. Hull's success is unlikely to last but I bet they have enjoyed it!

This is where I disagree with those posters who preach "stability" at all costs. You have to live for the moment; the memories I have of the Mariners being at a high level were great - but I knew we wouldn't sustain it forever.

At the moment we are more or less rock bottom; but we will rise again but not for one minute will it be down to any long term, master plan of stability. We will stumble on a winning team sooner or later, get momentum and the fans will buy into it and roar us to promotion.

So live for the moment I say, and if someone ever did come in with a really big investment, although unlikely, we would enjoy the ride just as the Hull fans have. But it wouldn't last...  
Posted by: wigworld, September 11, 2014, 9:45pm; Reply: 14
They'll be bought out by some Russian billionaire, who'll rename them the Hullski Cossacks.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 11, 2014, 10:49pm; Reply: 15
Just a question....has he actually been that good a chairman for them?

On the financial front has he actually saved them or has he repackaged their debt in the club name so that he has very little personal loss if he walks away?

Yes the club are in the premier league, but they had been there before he arrived so its not as though he delivered the holy grail is it?

Dont know enough of the details to offer an informed opinion but i do find the circus amusing.
Posted by: RoboCod, September 12, 2014, 7:23am; Reply: 16
Good question, though I've only taken a very casual interest in them I was under the impression that Adam Pearson was behind the actual rise through the lower leagues and onto the Premier.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 12, 2014, 2:04pm; Reply: 17

A crap chairman?

I wish we had a crap chairman who took us to the Cup final, the Premier League and into Europe.

I jest really and agree we don't want a chairman who rants on the radio spitting his dummy out (!)

Trouble is in football everything is transitory - apart from the absolute giants of the game, they are very few clubs whose success, relative or otherwise, lasts for long. Hull's success is unlikely to last but I bet they have enjoyed it!

This is where I disagree with those posters who preach "stability" at all costs. You have to live for the moment; the memories I have of the Mariners being at a high level were great - but I knew we wouldn't sustain it forever.

At the moment we are more or less rock bottom; but we will rise again but not for one minute will it be down to any long term, master plan of stability. We will stumble on a winning team sooner or later, get momentum and the fans will buy into it and roar us to promotion.

So live for the moment I say, and if someone ever did come in with a really big investment, although unlikely, we would enjoy the ride just as the Hull fans have. But it wouldn't last...  

This
Posted by: cod_head_doug, September 12, 2014, 7:58pm; Reply: 18
How bizarre !  The chairman throws teddy out the pram because he cannot get his own way, like a spoiled brat.
Why not call them the Hull mudrats, might not shift much merchandise, but at least it will be acurate.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 12:25pm