Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: SamTheMariner, August 26, 2014, 12:49pm
Can't think that there will be too many changes mabye Disley and MacKreth will come in. Exploit Hatton's lack of pace at Right Back
Posted by: Hagrid, August 26, 2014, 12:51pm; Reply: 1
no changes.
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 26, 2014, 1:04pm; Reply: 2
Same team but might go with a tighter midfield 3 away from home with Brown holding with Paddy and Clay either side and Neilson floating off the forwards and drifting to both wings. Get Pittman running the channels to provide a bit more width.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 26, 2014, 1:20pm; Reply: 3
Injuries permitting I can't see any reason why we need to change the starting line up from the last 2 games.

Does anyone know when Boyce's loan is up, must be soon I'd have thought. We could do with getting him on a more permanent basis really. I know he was only initially brought in to cover the absence of Toto and Pearson at the start of the season, but as has been proved in the last couple of games, all 3 can play together in the same game.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 26, 2014, 1:39pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Les Brechin
Injuries permitting I can't see any reason why we need to change the starting line up from the last 2 games.

Does anyone know when Boyce's loan is up, must be soon I'd have thought. We could do with getting him on a more permanent basis really. I know he was only initially brought in to cover the absence of Toto and Pearson at the start of the season, but as has been proved in the last couple of games, all 3 can play together in the same game.

He was brought in for a month on August 4. Hopefully Scunny will let us take him until January before next Monday night.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 26, 2014, 1:40pm; Reply: 5
woud love him to play against lincoln and bag the winner!
Posted by: TAGG, August 26, 2014, 3:19pm; Reply: 6
No change :-)
Posted by: Abdul19, August 26, 2014, 3:34pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Hagrid
woud love him to play against lincoln and bag the winner!

He did that 2 years ago ;)
Posted by: marinerjase, August 26, 2014, 3:36pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from SamTheMariner
Can't think that there will be too many changes mabye Disley and MacKreth will come in. Exploit Hatton's lack of pace at Right Back

Think Hatton has been used in midfield for Aldershot not right back. May be wrong though.

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, August 26, 2014, 3:36pm; Reply: 9
Don't break what's not broken as they say...
Posted by: Maringer, August 26, 2014, 3:39pm; Reply: 10
If everyone is fit, it seems pretty obvious that we ought to start with the same team next week. Plenty of time for them all to rest up before Saturday.

One caveat is that I have to admit I'm not convinced by Nsiala at full-back as yet as his positioning hasn't great when he's been playing there. His pace has generally been enough to get him out of trouble when he has made mistakes (and his height is useful in defending set pieces), but I do wonder if we'd be better of playing a proper full-back on the right? Bignot is capable enough at this level and can offer a bit more going forward.

I do think we'll probably start with the same team on Saturday though.
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, August 26, 2014, 5:21pm; Reply: 11
No change at all
Winning teams do'n't feel tired
Don't obsess with the opposition - this starting XI gives opponents more than enough problems to cope with
Posted by: SamTheMariner, August 26, 2014, 5:22pm; Reply: 12
I really don't see why we can't have Boyce. He's top quality at this level. Scunny's 6th choice Centre Half. How times have changed when we're totally thrilled to get Scunny's 6th best Centre Half. Clay is great. Not the player that was described to me in pre-season.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 26, 2014, 5:27pm; Reply: 13
No changes, time for players to force their way back in the side.
Posted by: KK_DOG, August 26, 2014, 5:33pm; Reply: 14
I heard John Cockerill say on Radio Humberside after Monday's game that in the Buckley days if you won barring suspensions and injuries the everyone knew the team would be the same and it worked. None of them deserve to be dropped, so same team for me.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 26, 2014, 5:49pm; Reply: 15
If you win consecutive games 6-1 and 7-0 then surely you pick the same team again unless that's not possible. That said, I look forward to 80's advocating 9 changes and a brand new, never before seen formation  ;)
Posted by: fiveallive, August 26, 2014, 6:23pm; Reply: 16
Aldershot have been playing Hatton at RM i would stick with the same team bring Mackreth on late seems to work the last 2 games he's created 2 goals coming on he's a nightmare for defenders because there getting tired and we bring Jack Mackreth on with his full speed and we also have Nathan Arnold and Rossy Hannah to come back all is looking good Pittman looks a good signing.

We have to keep Boyce for the season so Doig can be assistant coach.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 26, 2014, 7:00pm; Reply: 17
I agree with the majority, same team for me. I had the misfortune of watching BT Sports a couple of weeks ago, I actually watched a bit of Aldershot v someoneorother and they weren't great. Same team, but let's get 8 this time!
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 26, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 18
Same team if we can!  I'm going to the game so really looking forward to it and hope lots of other London-based Town fans will be heading down from Waterloo to cheer on another victory!
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, August 26, 2014, 9:08pm; Reply: 19
Gotta be the same team barring injuries
Posted by: Grimal, August 26, 2014, 11:43pm; Reply: 20
Keep the same starting eleven,don't change a winning team unless forced by injuries or suspensions.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), August 27, 2014, 12:07am; Reply: 21
Even from a squad rotation point of view, there's no visible need for changes at all, especially with 5 days rest !

However as always, Hurst is eyes and ears on the training pitch and may see something he feels is right.
Very much doubt it here but you never know... (e.g. picking specific players to help beat the opposition may be a worthy reason IMO)

Suppose it might be worth considering how players not involved like Disley are ideally gonna reach match fitness as they may not be getting any games under their belt if the team keeps winning. (a lovely problem to have !)

Personally I was a little suprised he didn't introduce a few subs a little earlier on Saturday but not gonna quibble too much here.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), August 27, 2014, 12:46am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
That said, I look forward to 80's advocating 9 changes and a brand new, never before seen formation  ;)

Well take the mick all you like but tbh, guess most fans who criticize haven't really got a clue what the pros, cons or issues are at all !

For example the old chestnut...
"Never change a winning team"

Well ok fine, it may well be the right thing to do (especially for us now with starters fresh and performing great)

But generally speaking, there's 1 major flaw to the theory...
What it's really saying is "wait til you lose and it's been proven wrong, THEN change it".
i.e. re-active, not pro-active.

For example, you play a match, win but player X has a nightmare do you say:
"Oh well he was utter sh1te, but we won, so let's keep him in ?"

Of course you don't !  
In fact even if there's no damage done at all, a good manager may spot some weakness he wants to prevent BEFORE it even happens.

Sorry, this is football management involving performances, fitness, long term factors and tough decisions.
"One size fits all" solutions don't work otherwise every manager would be using them but no-one does.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 27, 2014, 7:26am; Reply: 23
Quoted from 120797

Well take the mick all you like but tbh, guess most fans who criticize haven't really got a clue what the pros, cons or issues are at all !

For example the old chestnut...
"Never change a winning team"

Well ok fine, it may well be the right thing to do (especially for us now with starters fresh and performing great)

But generally speaking, there's 1 major flaw to the theory...
What it's really saying is "wait til you lose and it's been proven wrong, THEN change it".
i.e. re-active, not pro-active.

For example, you play a match, win but player X has a nightmare do you say:
"Oh well he was utter sh1te, but we won, so let's keep him in ?"

Of course you don't !  
In fact even if there's no damage done at all, a good manager may spot some weakness he wants to prevent BEFORE it even happens.

Sorry, this is football management involving performances, fitness, long term factors and tough decisions.
"One size fits all" solutions don't work otherwise every manager would be using them but no-one does.

That's a very patronising statement.

Good job you're here to tell us what to think.
Posted by: Meza, August 27, 2014, 8:16am; Reply: 24
There is other factors though 80's.  Anyone who's played footy whether its sunday league will probably agree that the players have earnt their place in the team at the minute and just making changes for change sake could disrupt the team.  You could also take away the incentive for playing for a shirt and you can't keep everyone happy I guess.  Take last season chopping and changing players resulted in misjointed performances.  There were some players that did well when coming on better than the ones starting but dropped the next week.  Its difficult to try and keep everyone happy but they need to be patient and when they get the chance they must take it.
Posted by: Southernboy, August 27, 2014, 9:43am; Reply: 25
Pick the team that's playing how you want and winning. We have players on the bench that can come on and change things around but we should play to our strengths which, based on last 2 games and comments (as I haven't seen any games this season except the Gas on TV), suggest playing at pace and pressing up is the way to go
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 27, 2014, 1:09pm; Reply: 26
No changes, experiences over the last two seasons (fa trophy) has taught us that chopping and changing the team does no good :/
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 27, 2014, 4:01pm; Reply: 27
If a player gets dropped after playing in the last two games that produced a 6-1 and 7-0 wins,

He will be a bit pi ssed off,

Says a player who once got dropped after scoring 4 goals in the previous match.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), August 27, 2014, 9:02pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings
That's a very patronising statement.

Poster took the mick, I gave some back.

Sure I could quite easily argue Hurst's critics are patronising him claiming they know better than him if I really wanted to.
But obviously I won't, it's a spurious silly argument, we've all got our opinions.
Just saying we're not necessarily always right in them ether.
Even if you were correct about Gary Mills ! ;)
Fair play though, we're passing the ball well now.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), August 27, 2014, 9:05pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Meza
Anyone who's played footy whether its sunday league will probably agree that the players have earnt their place in the team at the minute and just making changes for change sake could disrupt the team.

Never really claimed otherwise !

All I'll say is just cos you might have assumed changes meant "changes for change sake", doesn't necessarily mean it's true at all.

Was Hurst really thinking:  
"Well us team is working great now and see no need to change at all. But I just fancy us shuffling it all around a bit !" ?!??!

Can't really see this can you ?

Not saying all changes make sense at the time, always good reasons for them though.
Some like e.g. Winfarrah confused me a bit too - team has done ok since though !
If 1 or 2 examples in 3 years or so is most I can question, very confident he know what he's doing.
Ironic, have always believed team selection (and bringing talent to the club) was one of his greatest strengths !

Quoted from Meza
Take last season chopping and changing players resulted in misjointed performances.

Well it's all about opinions but I don't really see it that way at all.

Did misjointed performances lead to the chopping and changing instead ?
Can't really remember but mostly if you lose (or draw), some changes are normally made.

Without knowing which performances you mean, remember changes was forced on us to a degree anyway through the fixture backlog.
That's not me backing down on SR though, think it can often be a very good thing (especially long term)

Perhaps we should also remember too though, the win at Gateshead all started with "squad rotation" and bringing new players in.

You might argue "best team !" perhaps but then again was it ?...
How many wanted Clay in v Gateshead ?
Like everything, always easy in hindsight !

And back to SR (that's if it even happens) looking ahead, what about Nathan Arnold ?
Similar to Neilson, guess he's very good indeed !?

Also, whatever your own view on our participation and desired progress in the FA Trophy, it served us well there from a results point of view in the earlier rounds. Helps to rest players, get others fit, gain experience etc.

It's all a bit of a red herring IMO.
No-one complains about "tinkering" if we lose a game, make changes and then lose again.
I'm sure there are countless examples where we've changed the team and still won too.
Whatever the case and the future, I've no doubt Hurst generally knows what he's doing regards team selection, I'm convinced of it.
Quoted from Meza
There were some players that did well when coming on better than the ones starting but dropped the next week.

It may be a fair point, without knowing who or when can't really comment.
Without risking pontoonlew going on a Cook rampage, that's the one that sticks in my mind v Huddersfield and guess it may be a fair point.
Then again, did Cook cut the mustard ?
Perhaps Hurst was right not to include him, well I see both sides tbh but he's not here now...
In any case only Hurst knows the full reasons for all his selections, you'll just have to ask him.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), August 27, 2014, 9:08pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from grimsby pete
If a player gets dropped after playing in the last two games that produced a 6-1 and 7-0 wins,

He will be a bit pi ssed off,

Says a player who once got dropped after scoring 4 goals in the previous match.

Agree with you Pete, I'm not advocating any need now at all !
Merely responding to perceived criticism of Hurst last season which I believe was perhaps wrongly misplaced and unfair.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), August 28, 2014, 7:50am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Maringer
One caveat is that I have to admit I'm not convinced by Nsiala at full-back as yet as his positioning hasn't great when he's been playing there. His pace has generally been enough to get him out of trouble when he has made mistakes (and his height is useful in defending set pieces), but I do wonder if we'd be better of playing a proper full-back on the right? Bignot is capable enough at this level and can offer a bit more going forward.

I do think we'll probably start with the same team on Saturday though.

Then again Pete lol....
Only just seen this and think it's an excellent observation and possibly a very fair consideration.
Ironically, actually said the same (elsewhere) about his positioning ability v Dover.

So not sure what to make of it all.  
Will Boycey be here ? Guess so.
But for how long ? Is he part of our plans ?
Do we need him or would money be better spent elsewhere ? (short of LB/CB cover leaning towards the latter tbh...)

Assuming he is and will be, it's a tough decision really.
tbh I can't see changes either and would most probably keep it the same too.
But maybe that's just through fear and lack of info, not sure.

And when IS he gonna play Bignot or switch Magnay to RB again ? (being positively minded assuming we'll just keep winning...)
Do we just worry about that later ?
Perhaps so !
But ideally at SOME point other players like Disley, Hannah, Arnold, Makreth should be chipping in too.
Same way players can get hacked off being dropped, longer they're not involved arguably weaker the whole squad is.
That said, the subs bench also looks 1 (not ideal) option for more mins under their belt too.
Points on the board always better than idealism but equally you might not get them if you're make the wrong choices.

I just hope worrying about the reaction of fans isn't a factor on Hurst's mind.
But would hardly blame him if it was, it is for me too !  
Maybe he's just got to do what he feels is right for the team.
Perhaps there's always gonna be some criticism whatever he does.  
Who'd be a manager eh ?...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 28, 2014, 9:36am; Reply: 32
Quoted from 120797

Then again Pete lol....
Only just seen this and think it's an excellent observation and possibly a very fair consideration.
Ironically, actually said the same (elsewhere) about his positioning ability v Dover.

So not sure what to make of it all.  
Will Boycey be here ? Guess so.
But for how long ? Is he part of our plans ?
Do we need him or would money be better spent elsewhere ? (short of LB/CB cover leaning towards the latter tbh...)

Assuming he is and will be, it's a tough decision really.
tbh I can't see changes either and would most probably keep it the same too.
But maybe that's just through fear and lack of info, not sure.

And when IS he gonna play Bignot or switch Magnay to RB again ? (being positively minded assuming we'll just keep winning...)
Do we just worry about that later ?
Perhaps so !
But ideally at SOME point other players like Disley, Hannah, Arnold, Makreth should be chipping in too.
Same way players can get hacked off being dropped, longer they're not involved arguably weaker the whole squad is.
That said, the subs bench also looks 1 (not ideal) option for more mins under their belt too.
Points on the board always better than idealism but equally you might not get them if you're make the wrong choices.

I just hope worrying about the reaction of fans isn't a factor on Hurst's mind.
But would hardly blame him if it was, it is for me too !  
Maybe he's just got to do what he feels is right for the team.
Perhaps there's always gonna be some criticism whatever he does.  
Who'd be a manager eh ?...

Zzzzzzzz........
Posted by: somersetmariner, August 28, 2014, 11:06am; Reply: 33
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Zzzzzzzz........

It's quite something, isn't it ?
Posted by: oldun, August 28, 2014, 11:23am; Reply: 34
I don't think there will be any defensive changes until Aswad is back. Also note Boyce loan extended for another month
Posted by: Southernboy, August 28, 2014, 11:23am; Reply: 35
Can't wait for Saturday! First game of season feeling
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), August 28, 2014, 5:59pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from oldun
Also note Boyce loan extended for another month

Thanks oldun.

Here's a shorter summary then...

Rightly or wrongly we may be playing a playing a player predominantly a CB at RB.
Whether he's better than Bignot etc at RB is up for debate.
Quoted from Southernboy
Can't wait for Saturday! First game of season feeling

Feel the same !  :)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), August 30, 2014, 12:27am; Reply: 37
Just to confirm from elsewhere I'm going same team but Bignot in for Nsiala.
Print page generated: March 19, 2024, 11:19am