Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

This thread currently has 123,228 views. Print
68 Pages Prev ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
May 7, 2024, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,044
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'd love us to make a move for Adelakan but his already decent pedigree is nicely elevated by his form and Donny's run in the last few months.  Even if Donny don't make it (which I think they will), he's at least bound back to League One.

The lad who was released alongside Adelakan at Lincoln could be interesting though, TJ Eyoma. Can play right-back or centre-back, certainly would bring a bit more athleticism to our defence.  Good pedigree, Under 17 World Cup winner and came through the Academy set-up at Spurs.  Was very highly rated at Lincoln but looks like they just outgrew him a bit, would be interested what our lurking Imps fans think of him.

Crucially he was signed, initially on loan, by Lincoln at a time when a certain Joe Hutchinson was in their recruitment team.

Interesting one Eyoma. Just turned 24, played 100+ games all in League One, in a position we desperately need, with seemingly the right attributes - big, quick etc., and an excellent pedigree.

Of all the suggestions I’ve seen with supposed Town links, Eyoma looks by far the most sensible. You’d imagine he’d fancy another crack at League One, but you never know.

To that end, can we forget about Billy Sass-Davies, who yes, was at Crewe under Artell, but has just spent last season getting relegated from the National League with Boreham Wood. If the data says he improves us, then I dread to think what it must say about his teammates alongside him. That one surely won’t be happening.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 340 - 678
Hagrid
May 7, 2024, 11:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,526
Gold Stars: 544
The Lincoln Right Back has been in out and injured FYI
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 341 - 678
diehardmariner
May 7, 2024, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,755
Quoted from Hagrid
The Lincoln Right Back has been in out and injured FYI

Eyoma?  In all but 3 of their matchday squads this season.  

Lincoln's defence has been excellent under Skubala, in fact since he joined them their defence was the best in League One.  I wouldn't be concerned that Eyoma wasn't able to make that starting eleven.
Private Message
Reply: 342 - 678
diehardmariner
May 7, 2024, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,755
Quoted from Poojah

Of all the suggestions I’ve seen with supposed Town links, Eyoma looks by far the most sensible. You’d imagine he’d fancy another crack at League One, but you never know.

Hand on heart I think he's out of our league and possibly wage structure.  Certainly he won't be short of suitors.  It was more the Hutchinson link than anything that flagged up for me.  One I bet is on our radar but with a big 'if only' asterix next to his name.
Private Message
Reply: 343 - 678
Corkyefes
May 7, 2024, 12:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from friskneymariner
I know he will probably go to Doncaster. but I would go all out to get Adelekun as he has ben released by Lincoln.He tore us apart.

Lets be realistic...

16 goal contributions, with 9 being goals, in 19 games for Doncaster.

He'll either end up in League One, our someone at the top end of our league, who will spend money.
Wouldn't surprise me to see him back at Donny whatever league they're in.

We need to be looking at players in the level below, that wont cost major money but has the chance to be the next Langstaff.

Private Message
Reply: 344 - 678
friskneymariner
May 7, 2024, 1:08pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Corkyefes

Lets be realistic...

16 goal contributions, with 9 being goals, in 19 games for Doncaster.

He'll either end up in League One, our someone at the top end of our league, who will spend money.
Wouldn't surprise me to see him back at Donny whatever league they're in.

We need to be looking at players in the level below, that wont cost major money but has the chance to be the next Langstaff.

That is exactly the attitude,why we are where we are.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 345 - 678
Mappers
May 7, 2024, 1:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,565
Gold Stars: 120
The issue with recruiting NL players is it seems the elite say Rodrigues , Mullin and Langstaff who have all done well at league 1/2  and the difference in quality of  very good NL players - I'm thinking of Maher & Green here who although competent at league 2 are hardly top end . I suppose the question is how do you pick up those real gems ?

I suppose Bogle was one from lower who excelled at least for us . But I can't think of any other real elite one's who have kicked on to play very much higher up .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 346 - 678
acko338
May 7, 2024, 1:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
Vardy was the big miss - Am I right in thinking that £50,000 was a stumbling block for us to get him from Halifax?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 347 - 678
Poojah
May 7, 2024, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,044
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from friskneymariner

That is exactly the attitude,why we are where we are.

There’s defeatist attitudes and then there’s basic self-awareness. I’d bucket those comments firmly in the latter category.

Adelakun has been one of if not the best player in League Two in the second-half of the season, and is currently on loan at a side with one foot in the play-off final.

There will almost certainly be League One interest regardless of what Donny do over the next week or so, and the only way a club in our position could tempt a player with those kind of options is by offering a superior financial package, which would mean spending not just slightly but well beyond our means. And we won’t be doing that.

Look, this / last season was a disaster, and almost a catastrophe, but I do believe we’ve moved on from “balance the books at all costs” Fentynomics. Our owners recognise that for a club of our size to be competitive at this level in the modern era means being loss making, and it will be up to them (and any other new investors) to underwrite those losses. That’s a depressing fact, but it’s fact nonetheless.

I’m reasonably confident that we’ll be backed by our biggest pound-for-pound budget for a long time, next season. That was probably true of our budget this season, too, but the fact of the matter is that our recruitment was far too often atrocious. The solution to that however isn’t just spunking a shed load more cash; that kind of thinking isn’t getting Chelsea very far at the minute.

We have to increase the budget, yes, but we also have to spend it much, much smarter. That much is obvious. Do those things successfully in unison and we move forward as a football club.

The approach might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but we now at least appear to have clear direction in terms of a preferred playing style and have built a recruitment system around that. Will the “game model” work? I think that’s anyone’s guess but I can’t help feel that, on balance, having a plan is better than no plan at all. I’m slightly nervous, but more importantly excited, about what this summer, and beyond, has in store for GTFC.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 348 - 678
Mappers
May 7, 2024, 1:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,565
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Poojah

There’s defeatist attitudes and then there’s basic self-awareness. I’d bucket those comments firmly in the latter category.

Adelakun has been one of if not the best player in League Two in the second-half of the season, and is currently on loan at a side with one foot in the play-off final.

There will almost certainly be League One interest regardless of what Donny do over the next week or so, and the only way a club in our position could tempt a player with those kind of options is by offering a superior financial package, which would mean spending not just slightly but well beyond our means. And we won’t be doing that.

Look, this / last season was a disaster, and almost a catastrophe, but I do believe we’ve moved on from “balance the books at all costs” Fentynomics. Our owners recognise that for a club of our size to be competitive at this level in the modern era means being loss making. That’s a depressing fact, but it’s fact nonetheless.

I’m reasonably confident that we’ll be backed by our biggest pound-for-pound budget for a long time, next season. That was probably true of our budget this season, too, but the fact of the matter is that our recruitment was far too often atrocious. The solution to that however isn’t just spunking a shed load more cash; that kind of thinking isn’t getting Chelsea very far at the minute.

We have to increase the budget, yes, but we also have to spend it much, much smarter. That much is obvious. Do those things successfully in unison and we move forward as a football club.

The approach might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but we now at least appear to have clear direction in terms of a preferred playing style and have built a recruitment system around that. Will the “game model” work? I think that’s anyone’s guess but I can’t help feel that, on balance, having a plan is better than no plan at all. I’m slightly nervous, but more importantly excited, about what this summer, and beyond, has in store for GTFC.

They seem to be prepared to put in a million or so a season on top of whatever we make 'naturally' I assume the cup run effectively gave them a year off having to put that million odd quid in as shown by the accounts .

I'm excited about this incoming investment : who , why , amount and how it's going to be used ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 349 - 678
68 Pages Prev ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.