6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Chris Kelly
April 8, 2024, 5:09pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +39
Gold Stars: 3
Doug Tharme and Curtis Thompson have been good and necessary additions....

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/grimsby-town-tharme-and-thompson-solve-key-issues/
Logged Offline
Private Message
1mickylyons
April 8, 2024, 5:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,390
Gold Stars: 56
Stiffened the spine of the team and  Doug's throws had Newport pinned back for large chunks of the game.Not pretty but pretty effective.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
quebec38
April 8, 2024, 5:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Both great additions, especially Thompson. Tharme is no nonsense at the back and has definitely helped improve us. Thompson does the dirty work and he is neat on the ball too. He’s confident enough to take a midfielder or two out of the game before passing it which opens up space and is something we have been really lacking.

Probably second and third as my player of the season behind Rose of course.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
mimma
April 8, 2024, 5:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully he pick up some more gems in the summer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
RonMariner
April 8, 2024, 10:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,774
Gold Stars: 226
If both are under contract for next season, together with Rose and Vernam we have four good players to build the team around. If Artell can bring in more players of this quality we could have a very different season to look forward to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
forza ivano
April 9, 2024, 9:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,264
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from RonMariner
If both are under contract for next season, together with Rose and Vernam we have four good players to build the team around. If Artell can bring in more players of this quality we could have a very different season to look forward to.

agreed, add in Clifton who we know is more than good enough for this division , plus Khouri and Ainley who will be like new signings, and that's at least a third of the squad sorted
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
Mariner_09
April 9, 2024, 10:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from RonMariner

I have my doubts about Vernam. He's a creaking gate, he was last time and he still is. These talented players are all well and good but they're about as much use as a chocolate tea pot lying on the treatment table. I know players don't get injured deliberately but I think we have to make our own luck in his regard. Vernam is the prime example, Wilson is another. Really liked the look of him when we've got him on the pitch but that's been all too rarely.

For me, you can afford to carry one injury prone player in the hope they get a lucky season, not two or three.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 10:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
I think there's a bit of a myth with Vernam and that he's injury prone.

He signed for us permanently in the summer of 18/19.

18/19 - Was involved in every match day squad bar 3.
19/20 - Involved in every match day squad bar 3 - 2 of which when he was on loan at Chorley (his loan spell coincided with that weird run of so really only uninvolved in 1 squad.  Played all but 7 minutes of his loan spell at Chorley.
20/21 - First half of the season at Burton, uninvolved in 9 squads early on.  Involved in 15 with 11 starts before he goes to Bradford.  At Valley Parade he's involved in 21 out of 22 squads. Total for the season, 10 squads where he wasn't involved.
21/22 - 14 uninvolved squads with a run of 10 consecutive missed squads at the turn of the year.  32 involved squads though.
22/23 - Lincoln.  Uninvolved in the first two squads but then involved in every single one until mid-March when he isn't involved for the final 11 games.  33 involved squads in total.

So his career history prior to coming here is just over 40 squads where he's not involved and even if they were all for injury as opposed to selection, that's 8 missed games a season.  It's hardly someone with a chronic injury record.  For a little bit of context, Danny Rose has missed 6 games this season through injury.  

I'd say Vernam is more guilty of drifting in and out of favour than as someone who's proven to be injury prone.  He's just had a crap year of it this season.  From the first minute on Saturday he showed what he's got in his locker and how much of an asset it is at this level.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
GollyGTFC
April 9, 2024, 10:58am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,038
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from forza ivano

agreed, add in Clifton who we know is more than good enough for this division , plus Khouri and Ainley who will be like new signings, and that's at least a third of the squad sorted

Are we planning on another season at the bottom end of the league?

How about being ruthless and clear out the players that have contributed to us being where we are currently.

Amos, Maher, Glennon, Ainley, Braithwaite, Bramwell, Clifton, Gnahoua, Green, Holohan, Khan, Khouri, Eisa, Essel and Tomlinson are all out of contract (Green might have triggered another year) and predate Artell and I wouldn’t care less if we released all of them. And I’d add Hume to that list.

If we want to move forward we need to stop rewarding mediocracy.

As things stand we have 11 contracted players for next season (maybe 12 with Green).

This is a great opportunity. Why waste it by keeping the likes of Clifton, Holohan etc…
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 58
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 11:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
In general I agree with you Golly.  I think it's fortunate that the spine of the team (Tharme, Thompson and Rose) are the ones under contract and ones you would want to keep.  There's very little in the rest of the squad that makes me desperate to keep.

Perhaps a little harsh on the first year professionals.  I think there's an argument for keeping Clifton if we're using him as wingback and I'm keen to see a fit Ainley in a Town shirt.  But other than that, nah.   Khouri's got a few years left on his deal btw.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Doug Tharme and Curtis Thompson

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.