3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Chris Kelly
April 8, 2024, 10:33am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +39
Gold Stars: 3
While we all know and heard the rumours surrounding our play-off final loss to Cheltenham in 2006, one thing that can be substantiated is the early injury to this man really hurt our chances....

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/grimsby-town-michael-reddy-injury-v-cheltenham-cost-club/
Logged Offline
Private Message
diehardmariner
April 8, 2024, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
Hindsight is fantastic, but we shouldn't have started with him in the final.  He looked a pale shadow of himself from February onwards, one goal in the final 3 months of the season and possessed nothing like the threat of previous months.

He hadn't started the previous 3 games but came on in all, still looking jaded in each appearance.  His withdrawal in the final wasn't due to his ongoing injuries but 18 years on I'm still annoyed Slade made that decision.  That one and persisted with Junior bloody Mendes.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
April 8, 2024, 2:35pm
Guest User
Possibly the most deflated I’ve ever been after a town game. Oh and Northampton at home a few weeks earlier.

All completely avoidable if the rumours are anything to go by.
Reply: 2 - 24
Azimuth
April 8, 2024, 2:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +707
Gold Stars: 61
I seem to recall Slade ran the poor fella into the ground toward the end of the season, without rest or adequate treatment to a niggling injury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
Maringer
April 8, 2024, 2:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,624
Gold Stars: 185
Unfortunately, Reddy was screwed by the time the end of the season came about. I seem to recall some sort of mention of him having his hip shaved or something that summer, to try and treat his injury problems? No surprise that he never really came back after that and had to retire so early.

A real shame as that pace was a fearsome weapon and he could have gone on to have a really good career if he had been fit. I was at the Darlington game where I seem to think he made his debut off the bench? I remember a ball being played through but massively overhit and thinking he couldn't get anywhere near it, but he reached the ball about the same time as their keeper. The only time I recall being startled by the sheer pace of one of our players. Quick Mick Boulding was fast with the ball at his feet but I've never seen anything like the acceleration of Reddy before or since.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
jimgtfc
April 8, 2024, 3:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,096
Gold Stars: 45
I actually met Michael Reddy around the time of that playoff final, he came into a bar I was working at in town with his girlfriend. I tried to play it cool and said “oh, you’re Michael Reddy aren’t you?” To which he replied “I used to be”, which I suppose gave an insight into his mindset in the lead up to that game. I’d also add that he was an absolutely lovely bloke as well. He actually stayed at the bar and chatted with me and some regulars for a good 5-10 minutes while his missus sat waiting. I tried to offer him a drink on the house but he refused and insisted he buy me one instead. He popped in a few times after that and always had time for a quick chat.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Poojah
April 8, 2024, 3:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,636
Gold Stars: 1,505
Quoted from jimgtfc
I actually met Michael Reddy around the time of that playoff final, he came into a bar I was working at in town with his girlfriend. I tried to play it cool and said “oh, you’re Michael Reddy aren’t you?” To which he replied “I used to be”

That's an almost cinematically sad anecdote, assuming it's true.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Swansea_Mariner
April 8, 2024, 4:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
The only games my Mrs ever came to in the 19 years we been together.

Why of why did Slade prefer Mendes to Cohen I'll never know and apart from the odd game or so after a sad end to Ready's football career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
horsforthmariner
April 8, 2024, 4:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,633
Gold Stars: 9
We were rubbish that day. I've never being convinced though that this was the great turning point many think it was. I think we were always heading to non-league under the Fenty. We would have been relegated pretty quickly from league 1 and then we know how Fenty operated in League 2. It may have put it back by a season or two, but his disastrous stewardship of the club was the reason we went into non-league - I can't see how it would make any difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
diehardmariner
April 8, 2024, 4:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Maringer
Unfortunately, Reddy was screwed by the time the end of the season came about. I seem to recall some sort of mention of him having his hip shaved or something that summer, to try and treat his injury problems? No surprise that he never really came back after that and had to retire so early.

A real shame as that pace was a fearsome weapon and he could have gone on to have a really good career if he had been fit. I was at the Darlington game where I seem to think he made his debut off the bench? I remember a ball being played through but massively overhit and thinking he couldn't get anywhere near it, but he reached the ball about the same time as their keeper. The only time I recall being startled by the sheer pace of one of our players. Quick Mick Boulding was fast with the ball at his feet but I've never seen anything like the acceleration of Reddy before or since.

Yep.  Just pure explosion.  The highlight reel of his Town goals is frightening.  It's absolutely basic but he was just so much stronger and faster than the defenders trying (and failing) to stop him.

In terms of how much better he was than everyone else, that six-month spell at the start of 05/06 is the best I've ever seen from a Town striker.  There are no two ways about it, he stays properly fit and we win the title that year.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 2006 play-off final

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.