8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
jimgtfc
March 30, 2024, 11:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
Stick an Aldi, B&M and Poundshop on it, be reet.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
Yarborough Vaults
March 30, 2024, 1:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from AdamHaddock

Not just our support but the apathy that lingers over the area in general. People moan about the state of the town but then moan when someone has ideas to improve it.

That's a bit of a simplistic knock.

We'd all be doing cartwheels if a stadium was a part of the regeneration. But it's not. And I'm not convinced by open air swimming in that location as its hard enough staying alive in the Lower sometimes and that's when fully clothed and five pints in.

I can remember seeing the alkies doing open water swimming in people's park years ago but not many would chance it September to
April. Just seems daft to me and if that's not embracing opportunity then so be it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
Maringer
March 30, 2024, 2:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,663
Gold Stars: 189
Although it sounds like a nice idea, the only way a stadium on the Docks could ever become reality would be through serious government investment. As we know, the current bunch aren't even funding the basics for local government properly (though they are giving vast tracts of valuable land to their mates as part of the Freeports scam, with the country paying the enormous clean up costs for these sites). No chance of any funding from the Tories. From what the useless Rachel Reeves has said, there is no chance of any sort of funding from the next government, either.

Ultimately, without a sugar daddy willing to lose tens of millions, the only place any new stadium will appear is out of town and the task of financing it must surely be mind-bogglingly hard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
mimma
March 30, 2024, 2:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
If they want to build a swimming pool then the best place would be Cleephorpes not Grimsby docks. It's mad to think that people will flock to Grimsby docks for open air swimming when we have a holiday resort up the road.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
Ruston AT
March 30, 2024, 2:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +427
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from mimma
If they want to build a swimming pool then the best place would be Cleephorpes not Grimsby docks. It's mad to think that people will flock to Grimsby docks for open air swimming when we have a holiday resort up the road.

Strange thing, I'm sure we had an open air swimming pool in Cleethorpes once wasn't it called the bathing pool......it was cold but we had great fun there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
Plankton
March 30, 2024, 4:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
My gut tells me this is an absolute non-starter and dead on its aris within 12 months. I'm also not a businessman so it might be wildly successful.

I'd much rather we rejuvenate like Lincoln has, which is really busy now, just been into the centre today and it's heaving.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
diehardmariner
March 30, 2024, 6:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,670
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from male private Nale

Erm, what's your grand plan? this isn't yours it belongs to someone else.

As for mine, I do not have one but then I am not being paid an extortionate amount of money to come up with these white elephants. An open water swimming pool is so niche its a total non starter and I would put my last quid on this never seeing the light of day, thankfully.

I never claimed it was my plan. I'm not the one knocking plans to start with.

There's such an irony in you bemoaning white elephants when you had your tongue up the bottom of the king of white elephants for so long. How much was the bridge 20feet away from a perfectly good bridge? £1million upwards wasn't it. And who can forget the Palm Tree? Impossible to forget it because the pavements still direct to it!
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
diehardmariner
March 30, 2024, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Activities Away is a very good example.
From a basic lake to a very successful business with watersports,aqua run events,food nights etc.
Remember when it was a fiver to swim there haha.

Absolutely! Lots and lots of people prepared to travel over an hour for it.  Yet people won't travel that for a better facility on the Docks???
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
diehardmariner
March 30, 2024, 9:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma

Two different target audiences.

This isn't bucket and spade, dipping your toe in the water with a hankie on your head. It's serious swimming. Those who would be interested in the facility are probably less interested in having an ice-cream and fish & chips.

The docks itself is the absolute perfect location for it.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
diehardmariner
March 30, 2024, 10:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Plankton
My gut tells me this is an absolute non-starter and dead on its aris within 12 months. I'm also not a businessman so it might be wildly successful.

I'd much rather we rejuvenate like Lincoln has, which is really busy now, just been into the centre today and it's heaving.

Lincoln has had the huge benefit/foresight of the University.

The income generated from the students is incredible. But with it has come extra facilties, including bars and pubs. That in turn has helped it grow as a day-drinking venue. The trains into the city are rammed on weekends with punters.

We won't be able to reproduce that. But we can produce something unique for us that brings in specific groups of people.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › No Docks Stadium

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.