3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
March 27, 2024, 10:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,178
Gold Stars: 265
Don't think it's been mentioned on here but the youth team lost their final to a 93rd minute goal at Preston on Saturday
Presume this is why 2 of the youth team regulars have gone out on loan. Cam Gardner has joined Gy Borough n Harvey Cribb, the ex Scunny midfie6, has gone to Winterton Rangers
Logged Offline
Private Message
MuddyWaters
March 28, 2024, 6:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,249
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from forza ivano
Don't think it's been mentioned on here but the youth team lost their final to a 93rd minute goal at Preston on Saturday
Presume this is why 2 of the youth team regulars have gone out on loan. Cam Gardner has joined Gy Borough n Harvey Cribb, the ex Scunny midfie6, has gone to Winterton Rangers

Charlie Clements also to Winterton.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
diehardmariner
March 28, 2024, 9:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
All three going to Step 4 (Northern Premier East) sides.  

I know they're still young and developing their game but this seems to be the natural ceiling for our young lads when it comes to going out on loan.  I do wonder what's needed to get them the experience at Step 3 and above.  

Local(ish) wise we've got Trinity at Step 3 and then Scunny and Boston at Step 2.  
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
jamesgtfc
March 28, 2024, 9:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
All three going to Step 4 (Northern Premier East) sides.  

I know they're still young and developing their game but this seems to be the natural ceiling for our young lads when it comes to going out on loan.  I do wonder what's needed to get them the experience at Step 3 and above.  

Local(ish) wise we've got Trinity at Step 3 and then Scunny and Boston at Step 2.  

If they are good enough, someone higher up will be interested. Tomlinson and Essel aren't particularly standing out at that level. Braithwaite and Bramwell have spent time at Whitby who are at Step 3. I've not seen much of either of those to comment on how they have performed. Gainsborough seem to pull a lot of loanees in from Sheffield United and Doncaster Rovers.

The only 'young' player that I think has proven themselves capable of currently playing at Step 1 or 2 is Evan Khouri.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
Mappers
March 28, 2024, 9:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Whenever I have seen Bramwell I have thought he's looked capable of being NL/league 2 standard if given the time to develop . I take it we are trying now to give them more time to bridge the gap between these lower leagues and where we are - hopefully in 2 or 3 years some of these lads are capable of making the step up if we keep at least a couple of them on - I guess they are competing with each other for contracts really .

Khouri needs an injury free spell and good pre-season , then hopefully he will be in and around the first team as apart from Thompson I think he's our best midfielder probably .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
mimma
March 28, 2024, 10:07am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Does anybody know how they are getting on?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
Hagrid
March 28, 2024, 10:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,407
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Mappers
Whenever I have seen Bramwell I have thought he's looked capable of being NL/league 2 standard if given the time to develop . I take it we are trying now to give them more time to bridge the gap between these lower leagues and where we are - hopefully in 2 or 3 years some of these lads are capable of making the step up if we keep at least a couple of them on - I guess they are competing with each other for contracts really .

Khouri needs an injury free spell and good pre-season , then hopefully he will be in and around the first team as apart from Thompson I think he's our best midfielder probably .

what on earth are you basing that one, he's played about 5 games in central midfielder and looked okay, nothing great just okay

Best midfielder!?  obscene comment
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
Heisenberg
March 28, 2024, 10:43am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Hagrid

[/b]

what on earth are you basing that one, he's played about 5 games in central midfielder and looked okay, nothing great just okay

It is a big statement to make, and we’ve not seen him since last season, but his positive attributes seem better to me than those of Holohan, Green and Andrews. I get where Mappers is coming from, and he should have pressure put on him to step up, as I think we’ll need him next season, no matter where we are.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
sam gy
March 28, 2024, 10:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
I saw that about Harvey Cribb, and honestly i had no idea we'd even signed anyone from Scunny.....apparently he played eight games for Scunny in league 2??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 28, 2024, 12:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,276
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from sam gy
I saw that about Harvey Cribb, and honestly i had no idea we'd even signed anyone from Scunny.....apparently he played eight games for Scunny in league 2??

In a team that got battered. He’s probably needed a year to get over the shellshock.

He spent the first 2 months with us rocking back and forth in the corner of the dressing room softly saying ‘make it stop mummy…’

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
bedders78
March 28, 2024, 12:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from sam gy

Their youngest ever player

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
jamesgtfc
March 28, 2024, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from bedders78

Their youngest ever player

Our youngest ever player is currently plying his trade at Cleethorpes Town at the age of 19.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Mappers
March 28, 2024, 1:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Hagrid

[/b]

Based on seeing him play for us and twice for Spenymoor - I think he has more attributes than Green,Holahan , Hunt and Andrews . He's got a good left foot , technically efficient , a good engine and physically very good (when he's on the pitch ) he's definitely closer to being a good all round midfielder than any of those mentioned imo - he is having trouble getting on the pitch though consistently ; the biggest concern for me is it ends up a Max Wright sort of situation tbh .
All about opinions though isn't it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
diehardmariner
March 28, 2024, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
We took a small handful from Scunny when they folded their youth set-up.  It was a proper pillage of all their talent from a host of clubs, both locally and further afield, at all age levels.  One player we were definitely in for was Tyrell Sellars-Fleming, son of Terry, but so were half of the teams in the country too.  

Ultimately he went to Hull and has since gone onto make his first-team debut.

We got Cribb, Grayson Giles and a couple of others further down the age groups who were/are really highly rated.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
diehardmariner
March 28, 2024, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Based on seeing him play for us and twice for Spenymoor - I think he has more attributes than Green,Holahan , Hunt and Andrews . He's got a good left foot , technically efficient , a good engine and physically very good (when he's on the pitch ) he's definitely closer to being a good all round midfielder than any of those mentioned imo - he is having trouble getting on the pitch though consistently ; the biggest concern for me is it ends up a Max Wright sort of situation tbh .
All about opinions though isn't it

Absolutely nothing to disagree with about that comment.  Khouri is a serious talent and there's a significant reason the club have given him two contracts of decent length (especially when you consider contracts and chance we have given to lads straight out the youth set-up) despite an ongoing battle with knocks and niggles.

If he can stay fit I'm very confident he'll go onto absolutely surpass any of our other midfielders in the game, quite comfortably.  At the same time if he was fit I would have him in the midfield ahead of pretty much everyone bar Thompson.   The big issue is that he just can't stay fit.  I don't think the Max Wright comparison is an unfair one either, hopefully Khouri has a bit more luck.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
diehardmariner
March 28, 2024, 2:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Shakeel Brown and William Mitchell also gone to Barton Town (Step 5 - league below Clee and GY Boro).
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 28, 2024, 3:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,692
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Hagrid

[/b]

Hardly an obscene comment and as others have said he does look decent when played but let’s be honest we haven’t really got a decent midfield player on our books at present, well certainly one capable of playing well more than once in every in 3 or 4 games. Thompson is decent on the ball but he ain’t exactly mobile is he!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
DaleH
March 28, 2024, 4:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
Step four and five is a decent level of men's non-league football to send young players to for experience. First and foremost, it will certainly provide them with the physical challenge they need to equip them in the men's game.

Look, nobody knows whether any of the Youth Team players are going to have a sustainable career as a professional footballer, and the statistics speak for themselves throughout the entire football world. But young players have got to cut their teeth in men's football, and they need to be in an arena where they will be kicked and pushed more than what they experience in Youth Team football. Step four and five is ideal for this.

I think it is great, and I hope that they benefit massively from the experience. Good luck to them I say.

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
Hagrid
March 28, 2024, 4:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,407
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Hardly an obscene comment and as others have said he does look decent when played but let’s be honest we haven’t really got a decent midfield player on our books at present, well certainly one capable of playing well more than once in every in 3 or 4 games. Thompson is decent on the ball but he ain’t exactly mobile is he!

Maybe not Obscene but OTT!

The lads barely played a game for us, We all would like him to do well but I think he's got a lot to prove yet

Maybe he'll get a few minutes if we secure status with 3/4 games to go
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
forza ivano
March 28, 2024, 4:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,178
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from DaleH
Step four and five is a decent level of men's non-league football to send young players to for experience. First and foremost, it will certainly provide them with the physical challenge they need to equip them in the men's game.

Look, nobody knows whether any of the Youth Team players are going to have a sustainable career as a professional footballer, and the statistics speak for themselves throughout the entire football world. But young players have got to cut their teeth in men's football, and they need to be in an arena where they will be kicked and pushed more than what they experience in Youth Team football. Step four and five is ideal for this.

I think it is great, and I hope that they benefit massively from the experience. Good luck to them I say.

I agree Dale - Aylesbury United usually get 1 or 2 loanees from the likes of Wycombe, BSF or Oxford, and it's a decent, but hard, environment to get experience of football. Yes. it's v. competitive, but there's also some decent football played. We've got Max Cavana , a young American, having his 2nd loan spell from Wycombe and he's come on leaps and bounds this season.

Btw - think this an interesting change in strategy, loaning out so many of these young lads who have done so well this season, and see how they get on in an adult footballing environment. It also, no doubt, gives Callum and Neil the opportunity to bring in the lower age group for the last few youth games to see how they handle a bigger, tougher level before next season.

Would be interested to know if this is a permanent change of strategy, or merely taking advantage of the unique situation & stage of this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
diehardmariner
March 28, 2024, 4:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Fair enough, some really good insight from people who clearly have vested interests at that level.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 29, 2024, 11:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,835
Gold Stars: 178
A lad that was on loan at Banbury for a year or so has gone back to Oxford Utd. Both clubs have said how well the loan went  and he matured throughout his time there.

Just goes to show what can happen if the player has the right attitude and ability.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
dapperz fun pub
March 29, 2024, 11:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,935
Gold Stars: 82
Out of all the lads mentioned ive only seen Tomlinson and essel live and imo these 2 look at the level there playing out and tbf thats decent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 29, 2024, 1:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,692
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Out of all the lads mentioned ive only seen Tomlinson and essel live and imo these 2 look at the level there playing out and tbf thats decent.

I’ve also seen both a couple of times when they played against Lincoln United. Both fine at that level but neither showed that they would have a long term future in the professional game. Tomlinson in particular needed beefing up quite a bit.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
TownSNAFU5
March 29, 2024, 1:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,884
Gold Stars: 42
I think that it is very beneficial to send young players out on loan.  They  can assess their own progress in a different environment.  They can develop physically, mentally and becoming tougher. Qualities needed in an adult environment.  

David Beckham went out on loan as a young player to Preston.  He still went to Real Madrid.  

The move up from youth level is high risk with a high attrition rate.  This is also apparent in other sports such as athletics and tennis.  Junior athletes can win multiple races.  Stepping up they are just another player “at the back of the queue” and not winning races.

I can remember being an RAF Apprentice and mixing with 16 and 17 year olds. Posted to working with adults I was completely out of my comfort zone.  Talking about mortgages and commuting pensions went well over my head at the time.

To summarise, any development opportunity must be taken to help our youth bridge the gap to becoming a senior player.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
dapperz fun pub
March 29, 2024, 2:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,935
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I’ve also seen both a couple of times when they played against Lincoln United. Both fine at that level but neither showed that they would have a long term future in the professional game. Tomlinson in particular needed beefing up quite a bit.

Not sure what deal these lads are on but I’d be surprised to see these with the club next season , nowhere near the required standard in my opinion will be happy to be proved wrong though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Grantham_Mariner
March 30, 2024, 4:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Tweet 1774090902371193320 will appear here...

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
jamesgtfc
March 30, 2024, 6:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Gardner played excellently for Borough today. Good finish for the goal, too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Youth players out on loan

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.