Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who'd be a manager?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Who'd be a manager?

This thread currently has 1,465 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Mayaman
March 25, 2024, 2:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Had to take the reins of an U11 team.  Invited more kids than necessary expecting half of them not to turn up.  Of course, they did so you have to play them, including a lass. I'd never seen any but two play.

Hemmed in by a hostile crowd and hostile parents. We kicked off. We didn't have much shape but we were holding our own.  The keeper's distribution was poor and he couldn't catch apart from a  pass back.  Doh! The wall held firm against the resulting free kick.   The made me nervous but I've been there before right?  Not on the touch line but on my sofa shouting at the screen.   As a team we were clueless but some individual performances and last gasp tackles was keeping us in the match.  

I was thinking that I would be happy with a draw.  Is that my inherent GTFC mentality this season or was it just survival mode? We had a big bench but I had no idea who to put on.  My tactical nous is pants at best.  They scored at the worst time - just before the break.  (especially as the halves were five minutes shorter than I'd been told). 1 - 0 at half time.

The second half we had what I would be the core of a decent side.  Although slight, Dai Minh put their bigger defenders under pressure with a Rosesque performance. Minh and Oscar also grew into the game with Pikcachu putting in a solid performance at the back.  Maybe we could get something out of this.

Then, just like every Mariner's nightmare, we gifted them a goal.  A complete miscommunication between the central defender and keeper and their lad slid in to put them two up. It was frustrating as hell because I knew what was wrong but didn't know how to put it right.  We had a couple of chances (side netting and inch over the bar) but then we conceded a third, which knocked the stuffing out of us.  FT. 3-0.

I think I am gonna hang up my puffa jacket
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
March 25, 2024, 5:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,250
Gold Stars: 226
It should be about enjoyment and participation teamwork and sporting values....too many parents and sadly coaches expect their teams to win.
Not every kid is good footballer....only a tiny percentage of kids will become professional or even a paid amateur....but the other aspects of football should stay with them for life.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
Theimperialcoroner
March 25, 2024, 6:35pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,212
Gold Stars: 102
If you were wearing a puffa jacket over there I’m surprised you’re still standing 🔥🔥🔥

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
HerveJosse
March 25, 2024, 6:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
About 500 people who apply for jobs and never get one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
JK47
March 25, 2024, 7:38pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Mayaman
Had to take the reins of an U11 team.  Invited more kids than necessary expecting half of them not to turn up.  Of course, they did so you have to play them, including a lass. I'd never seen any but two play.

Hemmed in by a hostile crowd and hostile parents. We kicked off. We didn't have much shape but we were holding our own.  The keeper's distribution was poor and he couldn't catch apart from a  pass back.  Doh! The wall held firm against the resulting free kick.   The made me nervous but I've been there before right?  Not on the touch line but on my sofa shouting at the screen.   As a team we were clueless but some individual performances and last gasp tackles was keeping us in the match.  

I was thinking that I would be happy with a draw.  Is that my inherent GTFC mentality this season or was it just survival mode? We had a big bench but I had no idea who to put on.  My tactical nous is pants at best.  They scored at the worst time - just before the break.  (especially as the halves were five minutes shorter than I'd been told). 1 - 0 at half time.

The second half we had what I would be the core of a decent side.  Although slight, Dai Minh put their bigger defenders under pressure with a Rosesque performance. Minh and Oscar also grew into the game with Pikcachu putting in a solid performance at the back.  Maybe we could get something out of this.

Then, just like every Mariner's nightmare, we gifted them a goal.  A complete miscommunication between the central defender and keeper and their lad slid in to put them two up. It was frustrating as hell because I knew what was wrong but didn't know how to put it right.  We had a couple of chances (side netting and inch over the bar) but then we conceded a third, which knocked the stuffing out of us.  FT. 3-0.

I think I am gonna hang up my puffa jacket

The one bit of advice I would give anyone dealing with kids football ..... praise praise praise.  If they do something wrong or not very good .... keep your mouth firmly shut.  Works on all ages, men's teams ... mates ...  wives .....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
golfer
March 26, 2024, 8:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,432
Gold Stars: 116
Reading that match report I would swear I was at BP
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
Mayaman
March 26, 2024, 9:38am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
It should be about enjoyment and participation teamwork and sporting values....too many parents and sadly coaches expect their teams to win.
Not every kid is good footballer....only a tiny percentage of kids will become professional or even a paid amateur....but the other aspects of football should stay with them for life.

You are absolutely right.  The pressure on me was in my head and I never showed it to the players.  Some of them fought like lions and I can see some quality but we don't have the facilities (or not allowed to use the ones we have) to practice together. Still you can see why Vietnam don't have a sporting pedigree. I am not saying these kids needs to be pushed but given opportunities.  I was playing a game with the kids and I noticed one of them flew like the proverbial off a shovel - and he was wearing flip flops. I told one of the PE teachers but he wasn't the slight bit interested. This is a country that still thinks playing basketball makes you taller.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
Mayaman
March 26, 2024, 10:39am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
If you were wearing a puffa jacket over there I’m surprised you’re still standing 🔥🔥🔥

Was it a year ago since you were here?   The old mercury has gone up a notch or two.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
Theimperialcoroner
March 26, 2024, 1:43pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,212
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Mayaman

Was it a year ago since you were here?   The old mercury has gone up a notch or two.  

Almost, yeah. Will definitely be back. Simply loved it. Even to furnace like heat.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
Mayaman
March 26, 2024, 3:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Almost, yeah. Will definitely be back. Simply loved it. Even to furnace like heat.

That was a scorcher.  Hottest time of the year and it was hotter than usual.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who'd be a manager?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.