Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Fourteen years ago today.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Fourteen years ago today.

This thread currently has 1,585 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerRob
March 6, 2024, 8:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
This just come up in my FaceBook memories feed:-

On this day
14 years ago
Robin Antill
  ·
Shared with Your friends
Grimsby finally win after 25 games, I think I must be dreaming. SkySports gave a warning to Grimsby fans everywhere before they told us we have just gone 2-0 up. Only 4 points adrift now - is the impossible dream back on?

What a lot has happened in fourteen years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Swansea_Mariner
March 6, 2024, 9:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,455
Gold Stars: 63
Madness the same memory just came up on my Facebook where i posted Mariners like 100 times, i was looking at it like wtf is that haha!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
diehardmariner
March 7, 2024, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Madness that picking up our first win after 25 without one left us only 4 points adrift of 22nd placed Cheltenham.

So much is made of the start under Woods' regime of 20 games without a win, but we drew 14 of those!  We only drew 17 in the whole season too.  

So many opportunities to stop that rot earlier, Proudlock's last minute penalty at Aldershot or even the 1-1 away at County when we outplayed them (Jamie Devitt inspired on his debut) with Michael Leary absolutely shattering the crossbar to pieces.

Chesterfield at home late on in the season was the clincher for me.  2-0 up and then a Jack Lester double to level it, seem to remember Martin Gritton came off their bench and changed the game.  That was following back-to-back wins at Accrington and Hereford which seemed to have come just at the right time.  But that Chesterfield draw knocked the stuffing out of us and we were awful in the next game at home to Torquay. (3-0 defeat).

Goal difference was so poor that we would have ultimately needed to hold the lead against Chesterfield and beat either Torquay or Burton to stay up in the end.

Still can't look back on that season and not remember how I was convinced at half-time on the opening day at Cheltenham we were going to walk the league.  Enter 82-year-old Barry Hayles coming off the bench for the home side and Lee Ridley slamming in a 1 in 10,000 shot from range. 14 minutes between Hayles entering the field of play and our hopes disappearing.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
thornemariner
March 7, 2024, 2:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +658
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from diehardmariner
Madness that picking up our first win after 25 without one left us only 4 points adrift of 22nd placed Cheltenham.

So much is made of the start under Woods' regime of 20 games without a win, but we drew 14 of those!  We only drew 17 in the whole season too.  

So many opportunities to stop that rot earlier, Proudlock's last minute penalty at Aldershot or even the 1-1 away at County when we outplayed them (Jamie Devitt inspired on his debut) with Michael Leary absolutely shattering the crossbar to pieces.

Chesterfield at home late on in the season was the clincher for me.  2-0 up and then a Jack Lester double to level it, seem to remember Martin Gritton came off their bench and changed the game.  That was following back-to-back wins at Accrington and Hereford which seemed to have come just at the right time.  But that Chesterfield draw knocked the stuffing out of us and we were awful in the next game at home to Torquay. (3-0 defeat).

Goal difference was so poor that we would have ultimately needed to hold the lead against Chesterfield and beat either Torquay or Burton to stay up in the end.

Still can't look back on that season and not remember how I was convinced at half-time on the opening day at Cheltenham we were going to walk the league.  Enter 82-year-old Barry Hayles coming off the bench for the home side and Lee Ridley slamming in a 1 in 10,000 shot from range. 14 minutes between Hayles entering the field of play and our hopes disappearing.

I remember that day. Baking hot. One up at half-time and had been playing some blinding stuff. Of course it all went wrong in the second half. I think we'd put twelve or thirteen past Winterton the previous weekend.

I went abroad on holiday a few times and saw a grand total of one home win and one away win in thirty-three league games. Both in September. Utterly soul destroying.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
Les Brechin
March 7, 2024, 2:45pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from thornemariner

I remember that day. Baking hot. One up at half-time and had been playing some blinding stuff. Of course it all went wrong in the second half. I think we'd put twelve or thirteen past Winterton the previous weekend.

I went abroad on holiday a few times and saw a grand total of one home win and one away win in thirty-three league games. Both in September. Utterly soul destroying.

I remember going to that Cheltenham game on the train. On the way home the results came through, something like Norwich 0 Colchester 7 from the Division one above. Cheer up lads I said, at least were not Norwich fans. Oh the irony of that at the end of the season after Norwich poached Colchesters manager!

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
arryarryarry
March 8, 2024, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner

His time as caretaker manager including the FA Cup loss to Bath City should have meant he was never put in charge as permanent manager. In fact I posted on here that he would take us down and sadly I was right.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
Abdul19
March 8, 2024, 8:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Not that you like to mention it  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
Grantley
March 8, 2024, 8:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Arry is the Fishy’s best aftertimer. Never got anything wrong.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
arryarryarry
March 8, 2024, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Abdul19
Not that you like to mention it  

Well 2 out of 2 forecasts for relegation when plenty gave me excrement saying we would stay up, just like to remind them they didn't have a clue.😉
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
RonMariner
March 8, 2024, 10:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from arryarryarry

Well 2 out of 2 forecasts for relegation when plenty gave me excrement saying we would stay up, just like to remind them they didn't have a clue.😉

What area you forecasting for this season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Fourteen years ago today.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.