Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › I follow.?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

I follow.?

This thread currently has 1,382 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 5, 2024, 1:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Mappers

I don't think anybody quite knows the dynamic yet as to  what the spread of games is . 248 games from league 2- there  could be a large portion of midweek fixtures via a red button or/also it could be a large spread of weekend fixtures at various times which could be Thursday night, Friday night , Saturday midday etc etc .

Not sure if anybody else knows the setup on here ?

You've touched on a key factor there - when will Sky demand games kick off? Before Sky (and then BT) football was never played on a Monday or Thursday night. Saturday games only kicked off at lunchtime when the local police feared multiple deaths and the levelling of town centres due to 'hooliganism' and there was only one Sunday afternoon game and that was because it was live on ITV. Tranmere played on Friday night to avoid clashing with their bigger neighbours across the river.

I suspect the League 2 games will be seen as filler for the gaps when the premier league isn't being played so that Sky can show live matches all weekend and every night of the week.

We could be playing on Saturday or Sunday and kicking off any time from 11am to 8pm and any weekday at all.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
Mappers
March 5, 2024, 1:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118

You've touched on a key factor there - when will Sky demand games kick off? Before Sky (and then BT) football was never played on a Monday or Thursday night. Saturday games only kicked off at lunchtime when the local police feared multiple deaths and the levelling of town centres due to 'hooliganism' and there was only one Sunday afternoon game and that was because it was live on ITV. Tranmere played on Friday night to avoid clashing with their bigger neighbours across the river.

I suspect the League 2 games will be seen as filler for the gaps when the premier league isn't being played so that Sky can show live matches all weekend and every night of the week.

We could be playing on Saturday or Sunday and kicking off any time from 11am to 8pm and any weekday at all.

It will be interesting regarding season tickets , can they really have the cut off date as early as normal if people don't know how many games they will be able to make ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Poojah
March 5, 2024, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,567
Gold Stars: 1,500

The vast majority of televised games will be those already not scheduled for 3pm on a Saturday - e.g. Tuesday night and bank holidays. As per my earlier post, it’s likely between 4 and 6 games per season will be moved from a standard Saturday berth. I think you’re right that they might be at inconvenient times (Friday to Sunday, as the EFL Q&A does stipulate weekends), but we’re talking about roughly 10% of games, so it’s not necessarily the end of the world.

I’m sure we often played games on Thursday and Friday nights during our non-league days.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
diehardmariner
March 5, 2024, 3:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Poojah

There's a full breakdown of the deal here:

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-announces-landmark-broadcasting-deal-with-sky-sports/

The nuts and bolts of it are:
  • The 3pm blackout remains in place
  • 248 of 552 League Two games will be televised live on Sky
  • The bulk of these will be a kind of iFollow+ type service via the red button, with commentary provided by Sky and a minimum of 2 cameras
  • There will also be 5 games per weekend across League One and Two which will be the full, multi-camera coverage a la our game against Bradford earlier in the season. At a guess, Town will get around 4 - 6 games of this nature across the season
  • It says each League Two side will be live on average 16 times per season, but this doesn't quite stack up as this only equates to 192 (rather than 248’) games, so that will need some clarification
Ultimately, it's great additional exposure for the league with a lot more money coming from Sky, plus the opportunity to increase commercial revenue. Best stay in the league, then...

Can guarantee that Wrexham will be on most weekends, the love-in for Salford will probably restart too.  Cynic would argue that moving fixture times would benefit Wrexham with their global audience.  Wonder how many times they end up getting the 8pm slots.  
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
dicko995
March 5, 2024, 6:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -262
Gold Stars: 21
As always, there is never an answer to the main question. To answer; i do not use i fo;;ow, i go on Mariner TV, but only for the away games on the tuesday, as i cant attend them. The money spent to Mariner TV goes to the Club, i follow doesnt. And, in my defence, when i am abroad in Europe, which is half a year, i use VPN to put myself in the UK when i am not, but this is when i have to, to buy on Mariner TV. Yes, i can stream from abroad, and get the match for nothing, but my allegience is with the Club i still feel that i need to support as if i was really i the UK. So, you people who think we are cheating and robbing the Club with VPN, cancel me out of this equation as i fully commit when im abroad. Yep, i can scank it, but not me, a true Mariner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
GrimRob
March 5, 2024, 6:32pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
There will inevitably be a big backlash once everyone realises 3pm on a Saturday is not the standard kick off time it once was. Our matches will be spread over the weekend at a variety of times. Bound to be a drop in season tickets.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 18
Poojah
March 5, 2024, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from dicko995
As always, there is never an answer to the main question. To answer; i do not use i fo;;ow, i go on Mariner TV, but only for the away games on the tuesday, as i cant attend them. The money spent to Mariner TV goes to the Club, i follow doesnt. And, in my defence, when i am abroad in Europe, which is half a year, i use VPN to put myself in the UK when i am not, but this is when i have to, to buy on Mariner TV. Yes, i can stream from abroad, and get the match for nothing, but my allegience is with the Club i still feel that i need to support as if i was really i the UK. So, you people who think we are cheating and robbing the Club with VPN, cancel me out of this equation as i fully commit when im abroad. Yep, i can scank it, but not me, a true Mariner

Firstly, the direct answer to the question is that no one on here knows how much the club makes from online match streaming as, as granular and transparent as the club’s accounts are, they’re not that transparent. What we do know is that it’s a net positive for the club - match streaming provides an additional line of income whilst gates across the EFL have risen by a sizeable degree in recent seasons.

I think you misunderstand a couple of things though. Firstly, although you and I use Mariners TV, the broadcast engine is still delivered by iFollow (hence all the ads you see before the game and at half-time). Presumably by using the club’s own front end we make a little bit more money, but a reasonable slice of takings will go to iFollow all the same.

Regards VPNs, people aren’t using them primarily to watch free streams (you don’t need a VPN to do that), but rather circumventing the 3pm blackout by pretending to be abroad (where relevant laws don’t apply, naturally). You don’t have to pretend to be in the UK to purchase from Mariners TV, in fact doing so would stop you from watching a Saturday 3pm game even if you were overseas at the time.

I’m fairly sure most on here either pay for a full digital season pass or pay on a game-by-game basis through the club’s own platform. You’re virtue signalling to the wrong audience.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Poojah
March 5, 2024, 6:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
There will inevitably be a big backlash once everyone realises 3pm on a Saturday is not the standard kick off time it once was. Our matches will be spread over the weekend at a variety of times. Bound to be a drop in season tickets.

It will affect maybe 2 or 3 home games per season. It’s not that big a deal.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
lukeo
March 5, 2024, 6:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
🤐
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › I follow.?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.