toontown
February 29, 2024, 6:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Maringer
Eastwood looks like a rabbit in the headlights, very skittish when the ball is coming to him. He's probably one of those players who is very capable in training, but struggles in the heat of battle, in front of a crowd. I've got no confidence in him whatsoever.

I think Cartwright looks as though he will develop into a good keeper, but he's still very young and inexperienced. Not ideal in a relegation battle.

Aye, the lack of fans during the covid relegation season was probably a factor in Eastwood appearing pretty capable at this level. He looks a very shaky keeper confidence wise, which of course is even more critical for keepers than other players.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
Swansea_Mariner
February 29, 2024, 7:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,453
Gold Stars: 63
And we paid a fee for him....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
AncientExiledMariner
February 29, 2024, 7:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Eastwood needed to be taken out of it. Needed some time, like Cartwright did at first. If Cartwright needs that break, maybe Eastwood is ready and in a better place to step in.

This would be form dependent and whether Cartwright's form over many games has dropped. One game conceding lots won't give a full picture. I don't mind, either way. I'd leave it up to the manager and the information he gets from the GK coach to make that call.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
It Bites
February 29, 2024, 7:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,196
Gold Stars: 265
Eastwood/ Cartwright and the sale of Conteh
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
TAGG
February 29, 2024, 8:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Does anybody expect to see Eastwood get selected over Cartwright?
Neither fill me with confidence but Eastwood with his extra experience should be challenging better for a start.

No
The lad is getting hammered because of our lack of any type of defensive abilities.
Keep Harvey in to the end of the season when no doubt will go back to Hull.
Eastwood as a number 2 then get rid.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
mariner91
February 29, 2024, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Poojah
Eastwood has played 50 games in the EFL, to Cartwright’s 27. There’s no meaningful gulf between them in terms of game time - they’re both inexperienced. Which does rather paint the picture of a very risky strategy in the summer.

Just what was Hurst playing at setting up a squad with two goalkeepers who at the start of the season hadn't made 50 appearances in the EFL between them?! The whole squad he put together was severely lacking in EFL experience but that's just ridiculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
Mappers
February 29, 2024, 8:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
I honestly think Cartwright will be a really good goalkeeper , it's just the wrong situation at the wrong time for me .

I can't understand the thinking behind the decision to let a senior keeper go without a senior replacement . It was strange , as Hurst always had his number 1 and a kid or no keeper on the bench .

He sort of went half and half on a promising kid and someone who had been throwing the ball (literally) in his net for Rochdale the previous season . Just bizarre .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
diehardmariner
February 29, 2024, 9:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,625
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
What was the feeling like when Eastwood was on loan here around this time in 2021?

I thought he was an improvement on the badly out of form McKeown. Big blow when he got injured that season, although McKeown came back improved for the rest.

Thought he started well this season but his confidence looks fragile, one error and he went to bits.

Surprised we've not seen Ben Garrett come in, or another experienced 'keeper. Nothing against Eastwood or indeed Cartwright, who will go onto have a fine career. This isn't the time for someone to learn their craft though. We need a Wayne Henderson as opposed to a Dean Henderson.

Edit: Just seen Garratt signed for Nantwich Town at Tier 8 of the pyramid. Local for him but with his pedigree that's a bit of a coup for them. https://www.nantwichtownfc.co.uk/dabbers-sign-former-crewe-goalkeeper-ben-garratt/
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
HerveJosse
February 29, 2024, 10:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Like choosing between Cod and Pollock
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
Poojah
February 29, 2024, 10:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,557
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from HerveJosse
Like choosing between Cod and Pollock

I’d take Pollock tbf. Starting regularly at Watford these days.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Eastwood/Cartwright

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.