MuddyWaters
February 19, 2024, 11:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ska face
Hurst was sacked after Donny as he lives near Rotherham so saved him a long, miserable trip home.

I understand Artell lives in the northwest so not far from Morecambe. Watch this space.

So sod the fans who will have a long miserable trip home from Morecambe?  
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
ska face
February 19, 2024, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Yes afraid so mate. Woke isn’t it!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
GibMariner
February 19, 2024, 12:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Osborne left because of how he was treated around a family crisis by Fenty and Slade. I’d have left my employer too had they done the same.

Thought he was home sick and released back to the selling club with the full transfer fee reimbursed in the interest of the players welfare. But do keep up the narrative. 😉also a caveat was introduced just to make sure the clubs leg was not being lifted should he be moved on again and GTFC would be compensated.

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Theimperialcoroner
February 19, 2024, 12:15pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from GibMariner

Thought he was home sick and released back to the selling club with the full transfer fee reimbursed in the interest of the players welfare. But do keep up the narrative. 😉also a caveat was introduced just to make sure the clubs leg was not being lifted should he be moved on again and GTFC would be compensated.

No, there were significant family issues. He did want to be home for them, that is correct, but also entirely understandable, you or I would too. Elements in the club showed no understanding/compassion around that.

Aside from that, Bignot was sacked less for results and more for running things like a demented youth club with a complete lack of respect for the club.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
Limerick Mariner
February 19, 2024, 12:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from RichMariner
I went to Crewe when we got thrashed 5-0 (ironically Crewe's first win under Artell) and Bignot came over to talk to the fans at the end.

Tellingly, there were no calls for Bignot to go that day.

However, a few weeks later we lost 5-1 home to Donny (who, to be fair, were great that season and got promoted). That, combined with the 5-0 defeat at Crewe, and the bizarre team selections and obsession with central midfielders, did for him.

But like Poojah says, there were some very decent performances and results in and among the chaos.

I think Bignot's major failing was upsetting the senior pros. We all know he dropped McKeown for Henderson (and rightly, too), but he also marginalised Pearson and Disley.

I don't think he managed the squad well at all. He was all over the place, and bringing in a character like Gunning kind of summed him up.

I know he's achieved very little else since, but I do get the impression that Bignot thought he had a licence to experiment and play around with a team that was not likely to go up or down that season.

However, he tinkered just a bit too much, upset some critical people and rocked the boat to the degree than when we suffered a second heavy defeat it gave Fenty a reason to get rid (especially with his mate Slade available to replace him).

Artell in comparison seems absolutely clueless. He may have a grand plan for the future, but playing a kid on loan from Coventry ahead of Donovan Wilson, in our situation, is a bit mad in my opinion.

He's got Pyke to turn to as well, who's played lots of games at this level and above, and who has eight goals this season despite not being in the team much.

He needs experienced heads to get us through this patch, but instead is playing kids in midfield that seem to want an age on the ball.

Bignot's time was a volatile one. I was surprised he got sacked, but wasn't fussed.

There's double standards at play here. Artell's crimes are worse than Hurst's. I don't care that he's only been here for 12 league games. In that time we've had some appalling results - ones that will damage future attendances - so any defence of him to say he hasn't had chance or it's too early to tell is a bit like not sending a goalkeeper off in a play-off final because it's too early to show a red.

PH’s biggest crimes were in the summer, he knew that and I think it affected his decision-making. My view is that PH wouldn’t have taken us any much further than mid-table League 2 and more than likely not even that this season, but wouldn’t have taken us down. We would have seen a pragmatic 3 CB with wing backs well before now, trying to eek out points even though his summer acquisitions clearly indicated a mobile 4-3-3 as a preference. But the fans  weren’t happy, expectations were higher with the cup-run funds and we were looking at a big fall in STHs this summer if we’d finished bottom third with PH still in situ.

1878 had to make the call on whether to give PH the transfer window or not. They’ve messed up badly, falling for the only thing DA has talked with any eloquence about, the long term project of developing the Grimsby style.

It’s looking like DA will be given Morcambe, but no idea who is out there that can sort the mess when the inevitable happens.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
gtfc_chris
February 19, 2024, 12:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

PH’s biggest crimes were in the summer, he knew that and I think it affected his decision-making. My view is that PH wouldn’t have taken us any much further than mid-table League 2 and more than likely not even that this season, but wouldn’t have taken us down. We would have seen a pragmatic 3 CB with wing backs well before now, trying to eek out points even though his summer acquisitions clearly indicated a mobile 4-3-3 as a preference. But the fans  weren’t happy, expectations were higher with the cup-run funds and we were looking at a big fall in STHs this summer if we’d finished bottom third with PH still in situ.

1878 had to make the call on whether to give PH the transfer window or not. They’ve messed up badly, falling for the only thing DA has talked with any eloquence about, the long term project of developing the Grimsby style.

It’s looking like DA will be given Morcambe, but no idea who is out there that can sort the mess when the inevitable happens.

I think PH had ambitions to try and move away from his long-standing tag of being a pragmatic manager and aim to be more dominant with the ball than in previous seasons when we set out in August. I've long argued that although the attacking aspect of our game under PH this season was rigid and lacking creativity, our ball retention wasn't poor at all. We often dominated games possession wise, but that was what ultimately cost him his job, any dominance we had couldn't result in goals and therefore results.

If the football on offer is a little turgid but gets results then forgiveness can be awarded in lieu of the prospect of potential promotion. When the results aren't there and you don't get that excited feeling when we get the ball then it's only going one way.

It's personally why I think the squad is capable of more than what we've seen and in a football playing manner. From listening to DAs interviews, what concerns me more than anything else is this public insistence that the players are learning how to play football from him. If I was a professional in the game and my boss was telling the fans that I was just starting to learn football I'd be mortified! There's a clear difference in learning how he wants the players to play within his system and learning the game. The few bits I've heard on that front make him sound as though he's revolutionising the game at L2 level, something I'm slightly dubious about to say the least and is why I'm not warming to the guy (beyond games like Tranmere, Doncaster, Walsall).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
crusty ole pie
February 19, 2024, 12:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,350
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from GibMariner

Thankyou John can I ask are you any nearer to returning the share money back to the trust shame the trust did not put caveat on you to stop you lifting their leg
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
TownSNAFU5
February 19, 2024, 1:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
It was far too early to send the Rovers keeper off in the play-off final. One of the FA rules. ☹️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
GibMariner
February 19, 2024, 1:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Thankyou John can I ask are you any nearer to returning the share money back to the trust shame the trust did not put caveat on you to stop you lifting their leg

I wish 😁
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › is it only

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.