3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
February 18, 2024, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
After yesterday I could not stomach MOTD.  I did read the match reports this morning though.

Arsenal players tracking back after 96 mins despite 5-0 up.  Playing for the manager (and themselves).

Palace players said to be playing for Roy Hodgson because they like and respect him. Despite injuries to key players and not being good enough.

Salford unbeaten in 8 with a new manager.  They were awful as well.

On the other hand West Ham players have not tried in the last 2 games.  Despite being very successful last season in a cup competition.  Like us.

Our players are consistently not delivering of their best.  Even if limited in ability.  This has to be mainly down to the manager.  What ever the managerial option, the players are the same.  We need a manager who can get better performances from these players.  For the rest of the season.  The interim duo again?
Logged Online
Private Message
DB
February 18, 2024, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,020
Gold Stars: 386
Artell must change what he wants, using his current squad's abilities. He should put in place a game plan using these player's strengths ( Yes I do realise that may not be much given the last run of results ) but they all have some abilities.

He has changed from saying we are too good to be relegated, but the only thing that has changed is how he wants them to play. He should go back to the way they played when he first came or just resign and let somebody else save us from the drop.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
GrimRob
February 18, 2024, 2:09pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,408
Gold Stars: 113
Ben and Shaun then. Know every player inside out. Artell winds people up the wrong way and is more a liability than an asset.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 22
Yoda
February 18, 2024, 2:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Our midfield is a joke it’s conference north at best no wonder our weak defence gets over run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
dapperz fun pub
February 18, 2024, 2:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,935
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from GrimRob
Ben and Shaun then. Know every player inside out. Artell winds people up the wrong way and is more a liability than an asset.

I agree until the end of season then sack them both with woods aswell.  They are part of the problem the entire footballing side of the club is a shambles players and staff.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Yoda
February 18, 2024, 2:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Get rid of every body they are proven long term losers in every department start afresh with a new team.
I’m sick of hearing next season we will be better next season never comes it’s a bit to pally for me all friends patting each other on the back saying what a good job they are doing.
It’s amazes club run very badly how many home games have we won in the last 3 seasons in the football league not many i bet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
HertsGTFC
February 18, 2024, 2:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,934
Gold Stars: 228
The starting 11 yesterday…

On loan - Cartwright, Smith, Andrews

Short term deal - Hume, no doubt his agent is already lobbying other clubs on his behalf.

Out of contract - Maher, Green, Eisa, Clifton, same applies their agents will already be active.

Make what you want of it but I suspect none of these will be hear next season as at the moment I doubt they’re enjoying anything about the Artell regime.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
Yoda
February 18, 2024, 2:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
They will all go most probably won’t get a club maybe something local and get a job as-well playing part time.
Maher couldn’t get a job de scaling kettles down Freeman Street
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
DB
February 18, 2024, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Short term deal - Hume, no doubt his agent is already lobbying other clubs on his behalf.

Out of contract - Maher, Green, Eisa, Clifton, same applies their agents will already be active.

Make what you want of it but I suspect none of these will be hear next season as at the moment I doubt they’re enjoying anything about the Artell regime.

So that's about half the squad. It looks like a complete rebuid as we need a new keeper, back four and and engine room.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
CSLM
February 18, 2024, 3:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +639
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You probably won't be far off with that.

At least out two best players will still be here.........well are contracted to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
HertsGTFC
February 18, 2024, 3:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,934
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from DB

So that's about half the squad. It looks like a complete rebuid as we need a new keeper, back four and and engine room.

How motivated will these lads currently be DB if they know their future sits away from the club?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
DB
February 18, 2024, 3:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How motivated will these lads currently be DB if they know their future sits away from the club?

Which was the point I was making on another thread.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
Yoda
February 18, 2024, 4:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
there futures will be a lot brighter as a league player to a non league player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
rancido
February 18, 2024, 5:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,569
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from DB

I think a complete rebuild was obvious after the dust settled and we realised that Hurst's summer recruitment was poor.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
Norseman
February 18, 2024, 11:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I agree until the end of season then sack them both with woods aswell.  They are part of the problem the entire footballing side of the club is a shambles players and staff.  

Woods .Really have you seen how well our youth teams are doing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
lukeo
February 19, 2024, 4:28am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I thought the best we've done this season was under Shaun and hes been the best one regards press conferences etc aswell in my opnion.. 👀
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
dapperz fun pub
February 19, 2024, 6:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,935
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Norseman

Woods .Really have you seen how well our youth teams are doing

His job is to find and develop  players for the first team not supplying players for Grimsby boro and Clee town. I don’t think you understand his role
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Nutsy
February 19, 2024, 7:11am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
I think we need to start playing 3 at the back, 2 wing backs, with Hunt and Thompson in midfield.

Rose Vernam and Arthur as the front three

This might stem the flow of goals…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
toontown
February 19, 2024, 7:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Nutsy
I think we need to start playing 3 at the back, 2 wing backs, with Hunt and Thompson in midfield.

Rose Vernam and Arthur as the front three

This might stem the flow of goals…

I would go 3 at the back, Glennon one wing back and Clifton on the right, with Thompson and another defensive midfielders and hunt further forward, vernam and rose up front as a pair.

Might stop us conceding so many whilst we still have enough to get the odd goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
kevikov
February 19, 2024, 7:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
We could play nine at the back, 7 or 8 of them either don’t know how to defend or are actively refusing to do it effectively.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 19, 2024, 8:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,837
Gold Stars: 178
5 - 4 - 1 or 5 - 3 - 1 - 1

No, not how many goals we concede in certain areas, but for me, It’s the only way I can see us actually being stable enough to get anything out of games and stop the tsunami at the back (I thought leaky defence was too kind!)

I know being defensive is a step backwards and not within the remit of what the owners want. But, ask the 7000 there yesterday if a draw would’ve been better than a 5-1 hiding. The question is if the players have the ability, nouse or scruples to actually get anything from the 90 minutes.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
Norseman
February 19, 2024, 10:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

His job is to find and develop  players for the first team not supplying players for Grimsby boro and Clee town. I don’t think you understand his role

I fully understand his role. Pollock ,Grist ,Burrell ,Braithwaite,Bramwell, Gardner ,Starbuck ,Khour, idehen ,killip, ,clifton,Wright,.To name a few.Top of their u18 league and went a good way in youth Cup , .The fact town sold them is not his fault [/quote]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
JayF82
March 3, 2024, 2:39am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Approval: +13
Quoted from JayF82

Woods does a great job and if not for tragically losing a player would be doing even better. Millwall got beat by Chelsea in Semi Final of FA Youth Cup and anybody who watches the youth team know they didn’t turn up and hadn’t played for almost 3 weeks due to the loss of Cam. They were 15 unbeaten up to that point and bounced back to beat Shrewsbury in the cup and are due to play Mansfield in the Semi Final.
The youth team is around 50/50 split of 1st yrs U17 & 2nd years U18 so a young squad as many clubs operate a U17 & U18s and some have an U21s even at CAT 3. We don’t so what Woods & Lester have got out of the youth team is good when some games their playing against majority U18 players plus against 3 U19 pros which is allowed for league games, we only have one U19 at the club. So 50% of our youth team are most games playing a year older and 2 years older against 3 players. For some players this is great as progress quickly but for some it’s very difficult but this will only make them stronger next season. The youth coaches can also only mention certain players doing well whether the 1st team actually agree and blood them is another matter as both looking from different perspectives one seeing potential and with regularly training and being eased into 1st team squad have a chance but the 1st team look at can they afford to leave the player with 20+ league games off the bench for the youth player. With us struggling doesn’t help as they won’t take the chance as there jobs are on the line but hopefully we can get safe with a few games to go and they can see how some of the lads do in the last few games.
I can’t really see what more Woods can do as limited and attracting the better players to join as scholars isn’t the easiest when the club isn’t doing great.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Getting the best out of players

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.