Mappers
February 14, 2024, 11:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from RonMariner
I totally get where LH and LCL are coming from. After seeing Town competing in the second tier for almost two decades to endure this seemingly endless battle to survive at the bottom of L2 is just soul destroying.

To misquote Lady Bracknell, to get relegated to the NL once is unfortunate, to do so twice is careless, but to do so three times would be disastrous. It would I think define us as an EFL/NL yo yo club.

Long gone are the days when our rivals were Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves, Newcastle and others. Instead we would have to dread visits to Dagenham, Eastleigh and Boreham Wood. And yes, Scunthorpe.

The next dozen games or so could constitute an era defining change in status.

My old man stopped going after the Tranmere away season Ron , he had enough .

A season ticket holder for 30 years .

He had a dislike of Fenty & Fernaux for various reasons , but he thought either/both would take us out of the league .

I found it laughable at the time , thinking we had bottomed out getting relegated from league 1 .

He lost the emotional attachment and found other things to do and just looks out for our results and goes odd times .

My fear is if the worst happened many more would do the same this time round.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 132
LocalLadGTFC
February 14, 2024, 11:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,215
Gold Stars: 137
I don't think I could ever stop following Town, what on earth am I meant to do on Saturdays? Speak to the wife? No thanks. I think you have to roll with the punches. We've seen a lot of excrement over the past 20 years, well around 17 years of the 20 have been mediocre. I drew a line under it all when the new owners come in and gave them a clean slate, we've had two very good years and still find ourselves back where we were to start with and we've all experienced this feeling before. I believe they've done so much good for the club due to the old regime just outright abusing the club. We've all seen and heard the figures required to be spent on the ground just to keep it up to a ' okay ' standard. A million pounds this year and that's without the 750 thousand going into the main stand in the summer. As much as they want to say it wont, it will catch up with you. Even a quarter of that money on the squad would make a massive difference. We'll always be playing catch up due to the mismanagement of the previous tenure and it flipping sucks.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 111 - 132
louth_in_the_south
February 14, 2024, 11:59am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,681
Gold Stars: 96
I said to a friend the other day .. what’s the point of pouring money down the drain on the main stand ? … surely it would be better to close it and invest the money on the team for a couple of years at least and rehome the main stand fans in other parts of the ground.
Presumably the Osmond will be able to stay open so put them in there and use the reduced capacity to put the away fans in the corner.

Probably a discussion for another day maybe though.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 132
TownSNAFU5
February 14, 2024, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Our manager says that we are good enough to stay up.  This view is not supported by results and performances.   It was supported by a safety net of points,  This net is reducing,  There is potential for this to disappear as there are plenty of games to play.

The players are not playing well enough to get results consistently.  Also too many errors being made (eg Stockport first half).  The manager said that we all make mistakes,  True - but it is the high number of mistakes made that stops us winning.  And the inability to learn from mistakes or avoid making basic errors.

The fight element in a relegation battle is the key part that the team have rarely shown.

The fans’ collective views of extreme risk comes after all the above.  To me, this is a realistic conclusion of what they have seen week in and week out.  We can have nightmares about falling into NL for a third time,  Surviving and next season is a fresh start.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 132
Mappers
February 14, 2024, 12:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
I don't think I could ever stop following Town, what on earth am I meant to do on Saturdays? Speak to the wife? No thanks. I think you have to roll with the punches. We've seen a lot of excrement over the past 20 years, well around 17 years of the 20 have been mediocre. I drew a line under it all when the new owners come in and gave them a clean slate, we've had two very good years and still find ourselves back where we were to start with and we've all experienced this feeling before. I believe they've done so much good for the club due to the old regime just outright abusing the club. We've all seen and heard the figures required to be spent on the ground just to keep it up to a ' okay ' standard. A million pounds this year and that's without the 750 thousand going into the main stand in the summer. As much as they want to say it wont, it will catch up with you. Even a quarter of that money on the squad would make a massive difference. We'll always be playing catch up due to the mismanagement of the previous tenure and it flipping sucks.

I agree

They must be 5 or 6 million quid in with what they have put in + buying the club . Just to  maintain , right wrongs and bring the ground upto a reasonable standard .

Tough gig
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 132
HertsGTFC
February 14, 2024, 12:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,923
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah
I don’t think I’ve seen much maudlin or self-pity. I’ve seen, and felt, exasperation that we’re here again. We’re here again, ffs. And we are. Make no mistake.

Despite everything that we’ve achieved in the past couple of years. Despite everything we had going for us at the beginning of the summer. Despite the backing that the club gets home and away. Despite all of this, we are in danger of being relegated into non-league for a third time. And that makes me sad and angry in equal measure.

Yes, we have a 6 point cushion and a game in hand, but our form is dismal and our performances, for the most part, not much better. So far in 2024, we’ve registered 3 defeats, 2 draws and 0 wins. We’ve won one game in over 2 months. The only reason we’re not in deeper shít than we already are, is that the two teams at the bottom have been so abject. Forest Green, incidentally, picked up their first win since the end of October last night, and convincingly so by the sounds of things. They now have what they’ve lacked all season; an experienced manager and a bit of confidence. Relying on them, and Sutton, to keep dropping points isn’t gonna cut it.

I just think the past few days have been a real wake up call. We concede goals for fun, and the players seem bereft of confidence. That’s not a formula for winning games, and we need to win games. Especially forthcoming ones against Donny and Forest Green.

Do I have confidence in the manager and players to turn things around? Honestly, as of right now, I don’t. I think we’re genuinely in trouble. I’m contemplating what until very recently has been absolutely unthinkable. That we might go down again.

And going down now would be an absolute disaster. The first time was the first time. The second time, came at a fortuitous time, if there is such a time to be relegated into non-league. Fenty was fresh out the door, there was the optimism of new and progressive ownership, Covid lockdown had only just been fully lifted and people, by and large, had a bit of disposable income in their pockets.

If it happened again, a third time for crying out loud, there would be no such optimism. And economically, life in the summer of 2024 is going to be drastically different to summer 2021. Going down, in the best case scenario, sets the club back years, already on the back of two and a half decades of failure and stagnation. In the worst case, it is a terminal death knell for GTFC. It would kill the spirit of the club and the town.

Is all this maudlin? Is it melodramatic. I don’t think it is? I think the threat of relegation is real, and the consequences grave. Ultimately, there’s little the fan base can do directly to affect change on the pitch, but they can, to some extent, influence what happens in the boardroom. I have no agenda against Dave Artell, and I’d be absolutely delighted if he were to win 2 out of the next 3 or 4 games, but I think the notion that he simply needs time to make things work is a dangerous one. We don’t have time, and if it’s not working now, we may need to look to someone else to bring about a change in fortune.

And if the worst happens no doubt Artell and the players will just end up getting their agents to get them moves to another club, some may get a shock.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 132
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 14, 2024, 3:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,275
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Mappers

I agree

They must be 5 or 6 million quid in with what they have put in + buying the club . Just to  maintain , right wrongs and bring the ground upto a reasonable standard .

Tough gig

Yes you're right, but it was a tough gig they have chosen. Nobody held a gun to their head.

(and that isn't implied criticism, I am 100% behind S+P)

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 132
Mappers
February 14, 2024, 5:05pm
Champagne Drinker

Yes you're right, but it was a tough gig they have chosen. Nobody held a gun to their head.

(and that isn't implied criticism, I am 100% behind S+P)

I think they took it on because no one else would  , they were worried for the club and then Tom Shutes bailed on them at the last minute when originally he was the one at the forefront of the takeover .

They said when they were appointed that they had 'had a look previously ' about buying the club but didn't want to do it alone or 'it wasn't the right time ' . I read that as things hadn't yet got too bad and Fenty although a clown at least was giving it a go and running a steady ship  in his usual eccentric sloppy way ; Alex May & Holloway probably made them hit the button of 'we need to do something now '

They are now accountable in my mind, but my god picking up someone's previous mistakes can't half be sole destroying even if 'you know what you are letting yourself in for ' .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 132
moosey_club
February 14, 2024, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
FGR practically playing it out from the back with their emergency goalkeeper Vicente Reyes for their first goal, good build up play.

Second vid - FGR with a excrement pass, good goal though from Barrow.

Tweet 1757499873924907189 will appear here...

First goal shocking from Barrow really, no urgency and hardly  a challenge anywhere......Barrows goal looked very similar to the type of goals and chances we have served up to opponents ...sloppy sideways pass in the middle seized upon.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 132
ginnywings
February 14, 2024, 8:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Our manager says that we are good enough to stay up.  This view is not supported by results and performances.   It was supported by a safety net of points,  This net is reducing,  There is potential for this to disappear as there are plenty of games to play.

The players are not playing well enough to get results consistently.  Also too many errors being made (eg Stockport first half).  The manager said that we all make mistakes,  True - but it is the high number of mistakes made that stops us winning.  And the inability to learn from mistakes or avoid making basic errors.

The fight element in a relegation battle is the key part that the team have rarely shown.

The fans’ collective views of extreme risk comes after all the above.  To me, this is a realistic conclusion of what they have seen week in and week out.  We can have nightmares about falling into NL for a third time,  Surviving and next season is a fresh start.

I know it feels that way, but on the day PH was sacked, we were 1 point above FGR having played a game more, and are now 6 points above them having played a game less. We have also increased our goal difference over them in that time.

On the same day we were 4 points above Tranmere and Sutton, who were the bottom two at the time, and we are now 7 points above Sutton, with FGR being the other team in the bottom 2, six points behind us as stated.

Also on that day, Colchester were 2 points above us having played a game less. They are now equal on points, having played a game more. Donny were 6 points ahead with the same number of games played, but are now 4 points ahead having played a game more. We also have the best GD of the bottom sides.

That was after one third of the season. Another third of the season has passed since then, and almost all the teams around us have done worse than we have, apart from Tranmere, who have had a good run.

We are not the only ones struggling, but it does feel that way, and surely we will have a bit of run at some point. Here's hoping.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 132
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Other matches thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.