Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Colchester match off (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Colchester match off (merged)

This thread currently has 8,093 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Trevor Whymark
February 13, 2024, 10:23pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +15
Gold Stars: 9
They take the covers off at 10am today because they haven't the staff  .Even I can read a weather forecast The opposition  tell me outside the ground tonight I mean lido, they have not got a groundsman .Talk about Everton  shenanigans  deduct 3 points  from them and get their Chairman who apparently thought good idea to reduce ground staff out with a fork .I just arrived at the f...k lido 6 30 pm after train tube train and taxi .There no respect or common decency shown  for  any Away supporters are given 2nd hand treatment.In strange way things like this make me more focal  and loyal to Mariners. I don't care how We play, who plays the tactics, the formation the manager, who were against opposition  Just get into them... and do your best As for their chairman .I hope I have pleasure of 5min with him in the most difficult re arranged fixture he could ever make it . Nearly home must check weather tomorrow  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 78
Teestogreen
February 13, 2024, 10:32pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Appreciate your thoughts Trevor.
Mine are - that it’s probably a negative that the team has had to travel and then return without the fruition of a game.
However, it gives Dave Artell  some more time to train the players to play his way of football.
UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 78
MuddyWaters
February 13, 2024, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Teestogreen
Appreciate your thoughts Trevor.
Mine are - that it’s probably a negative that the team has had to travel and then return without the fruition of a game.
However, it gives Dave Artell  some more time to train the players to play his way of football.
UTM

Is that a good thing? 😜
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 78
Marinerdeano
February 14, 2024, 12:05am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
It would not surprise me in the slightest if Colchester have orchestrated this to get it called off last minute to hinder a rival. I feel they are that sort of club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 78
rancido
February 14, 2024, 9:43am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Chrisblor
It's incredibly galling that cheapskate clubs like Colchester can get away with not directly employing any ground staff and letting their pitch get into a state when we've managed to get that Crewe game on earlier in the season (after a much longer and heavier period of rain), and as a club invested heavily into improved drainage for the pitch last Summer to prevent situations like the one we've had tonight. The EFL really ought to have some minimum standards for pitch maintenance and start handing out fines to clubs who neglect to properly maintain their pitches because this game should have been going ahead tonight.

Certainly agree with this but it was a good thing that the new owners ploughed money into the improved drainage and playing surface at BP. I'm convinced that this, aided by our ground staff helped prevent our home game against Crewe (?)  from being called off. If The Leech had still been here then none of that work would have been done, that game could so easily have bern called off and our club would have been criticised and called " tinpot".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 78
Son of Cod
February 14, 2024, 9:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
I'm not sure I buy into this theory that Colchester had some kind of nefarious agenda to call the match off. If the pitch was going to be heavy then surely that plays into the hands of a Cowley team and not an Artell team?

Definitely absolutely ridiculous and tinpot of them and even more so if it's true that they don't have any groundstaff but I don't think it was a deliberate ploy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 78
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 14, 2024, 10:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Marinerdeano
It would not surprise me in the slightest if Colchester have orchestrated this to get it called off last minute to hinder a rival. I feel they are that sort of club.

It's the referee's decision, not the club's. Club staff could have tried to influence his decision but an experienced ref would see that as white noise to be ignored. He'll have looked at whether there was standing water on the pitch and what chance was there of it draining before kick off. Number one priority is the safety of the players.

I'm also not sure what advantage Colchester would have got, their form is marginally better than ours and we've had a couple of thumpings recently. If I'd been Cowley I'd have wanted to get the game on as this was a chance for 3 points at home.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 78
CambridgeMariner
February 14, 2024, 11:21am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +3
Colchester handling of this gets worse - I'm now trying to get a refund for my £7 parking ticket and the CUFC system only allows you to get your money paid to one of their privilege cards which i will now doubt forget about when I go back - what a scam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 78
toontown
February 14, 2024, 12:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70

It's the referee's decision, not the club's. Club staff could have tried to influence his decision but an experienced ref would see that as white noise to be ignored. He'll have looked at whether there was standing water on the pitch and what chance was there of it draining before kick off. Number one priority is the safety of the players.

I'm also not sure what advantage Colchester would have got, their form is marginally better than ours and we've had a couple of thumpings recently. If I'd been Cowley I'd have wanted to get the game on as this was a chance for 3 points at home.

I think the match being cancelled probably plays more into the hands of David Brent-Artell than it does messrs Cowley tbh. It was a game against an even worse side than us away from home - it'd be hard to keep arguing that patience from home fans is all that's needed to reap the benefits of his style if we'd got thumped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Colchester match off (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.