Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New Week - 06.06am train from Colchester
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

New Week - 06.06am train from Colchester

This thread currently has 1,291 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
stevethefish
February 12, 2024, 8:03am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 75
Good morning. Now in the 2nd hour of my train journey today reflecting on the weekend and my emotion on Saturday.

Whilst I stand by everything i said I’m moving to focus on looking forward and trying to do something to help.

In summary;
- I am 47, born in Grimsby and have been watching since 1983
- I have been a member of The Fishy since 2005 and I find it a very useful information source for me living away and I enjoy the vast majority of contributors opinions
- I am currently attending less games and spending less money than I ever have, but I like the ambition that has been injected and some solid success to date (pre this season)
- I go less partly due to time, partly due to the advancement of mariners tv and streaming and partly perhaps due to getting a bit older, but something is still holding me back.
- I want us to be successful and I want to take some responsibility and accountability myself to do my bit

Quite clearly, things are not going to plan. Mistakes are also happening (innocent mistakes in my opinion). The trends are worrying, but we have a good honest bunch at the top who no doubt are trying their very best and haven’t found the silver bullet yet.

So I commit the following 5 things this week.

1. I will take 10 friends and family including myself to Colchester tomorrow night to support the team. I will do nothing but cheer. My local game. Easy to do.
2. I will buy 2 season passes for the remainder of the season for “The Fishy” fan base. I will speak to Grimrob about how this should and can be allocated on a weekly basis
3. I will buy 2 season passes for 2024/2025 season on the same basis for The Fishy, irrespective of the division.
4. I will buy 1 x full home kit, 1 x full away kit, 1 x third kit and 1 x full goalie kit (if we do them !) and ask the fishy to allocate to fishy members whose families would benefit.
5. I”m a commercial guy with 26 years experience in large businesses (mainly food retail and manufacturing) and i will offer some spare time to the club voluntarily if they feel any of my skills can assist in trying to bring new money to help the sustainability journey.

Tomorrow is a very important game. I wish the team every success and everyone a safe journey who is going.

I encourage every single Fishy contributor to commit one thing that will help the club between now and the end of the season this week.  Doesn’t need to cost anything, it’s just an extra push of “support” that our board, manager and players quite clearly need. I’m encourage you to reply on this thread so they can see it.

UTM and Up the Fishy friends

Have a great week - (Grimrob) I will be in touch to seek advice how to make  the fishy stuff happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
February 12, 2024, 8:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
It's a good and wothy post, but for me, I think I have already given plenty.

I want some back from the team because I am fast losing faith.

Success is always around the corner. Next window, next season, next manager, but it never materialises and the club never seem to learn.

I want sexy football  but we wont get that back in non league will we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
DB
February 12, 2024, 2:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from stevethefish
Good morning. Now in the 2nd hour of my train journey today reflecting on the weekend and my emotion on Saturday.

Whilst I stand by everything i said I’m moving to focus on looking forward and trying to do something to help.

In summary;
- I am 47, born in Grimsby and have been watching since 1983
- I have been a member of The Fishy since 2005 and I find it a very useful information source for me living away and I enjoy the vast majority of contributors opinions
- I am currently attending less games and spending less money than I ever have, but I like the ambition that has been injected and some solid success to date (pre this season)
- I go less partly due to time, partly due to the advancement of mariners tv and streaming and partly perhaps due to getting a bit older, but something is still holding me back.
- I want us to be successful and I want to take some responsibility and accountability myself to do my bit

Quite clearly, things are not going to plan. Mistakes are also happening (innocent mistakes in my opinion). The trends are worrying, but we have a good honest bunch at the top who no doubt are trying their very best and haven’t found the silver bullet yet.

So I commit the following 5 things this week.

1. I will take 10 friends and family including myself to Colchester tomorrow night to support the team. I will do nothing but cheer. My local game. Easy to do.
2. I will buy 2 season passes for the remainder of the season for “The Fishy” fan base. I will speak to Grimrob about how this should and can be allocated on a weekly basis
3. I will buy 2 season passes for 2024/2025 season on the same basis for The Fishy, irrespective of the division.
4. I will buy 1 x full home kit, 1 x full away kit, 1 x third kit and 1 x full goalie kit (if we do them !) and ask the fishy to allocate to fishy members whose families would benefit.
5. I”m a commercial guy with 26 years experience in large businesses (mainly food retail and manufacturing) and i will offer some spare time to the club voluntarily if they feel any of my skills can assist in trying to bring new money to help the sustainability journey.

Tomorrow is a very important game. I wish the team every success and everyone a safe journey who is going.

I encourage every single Fishy contributor to commit one thing that will help the club between now and the end of the season this week.  Doesn’t need to cost anything, it’s just an extra push of “support” that our board, manager and players quite clearly need. I’m encourage you to reply on this thread so they can see it.

UTM and Up the Fishy friends

Have a great week - (Grimrob) I will be in touch to seek advice how to make  the fishy stuff happen.

There are many fans who are great but this is something over and above all of us. Thank You

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
Son of Cod
February 12, 2024, 2:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Maybe we can have some sort of Fishy Idiot of the Week competition and the winner has to go to a match in the full goalie kit?

Fair play though Steve, if you do those things then that's absolutely fantastic of you. Could the STs be offered out for people that are struggling a bit financially perhaps? Has to be some kind of semi-anonymous way of getting people in the ground that would like to go but can't always afford it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Mappers
February 12, 2024, 2:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
I think It's a great idea and thought Steve tbh fair play .

I get Ginny's view aswell

It mirrors my own contradiction on Town - can we do more ? but I also feel we have done enough in many ways .

I hope they win tomorrow night for people like Steve & Ginny + the rest of us of course .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
oochiad
February 12, 2024, 3:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Great stuff Steve. I had a similar feeling of ‘I must do more’ when the window shut so I went to Accrington to show support. It was worth it. I will make a pledge of attending as many of the away matches as I can this season, I am a season ticket holder so home is covered. It’s great to read a post like yours Steve because as of late it’s difficult coming on the fishy which of course I totally understand why. Patience I think is a good pledge for a lot of people to give. I also understand Ginnys views as well. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
Simon
February 12, 2024, 3:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Agree with the sentiment in the original post but i have been giving my all to my club since the early 80's and the last twenty or something years i feel i'm putting more into this relationship than i'm getting back, granted there have been one or two highlights but in the main i feel like i am being cheated on, every summer we kiss and make up but by christmas the love is one sided once again so i'm out of giving for the next few months, come see me again in July when i will be fooled once again into believing we have a future together  

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
stevethefish
February 12, 2024, 4:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Ginny - thanks for the reply. I understand. My only query is if you feel the intentions at the club are correct (?)…then if you do we all have the ability to do a little more if we want to. Something tiny by hundreds or thousands of people will make a difference.

If we don’t that’s perfectly reasonable to say I’ve done enough too and the club need to “own” that part too.,

I want to try and give a push forward and encourage others to do the same, only if they want to
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
stevethefish
February 12, 2024, 4:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
DB - Thanks for your note. My point is I need to do more and there are many thousands that have always and continue to contribute way more than me.  A collective push will help us push on. Thanks again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
stevethefish
February 12, 2024, 4:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Son of cod. Love your ideas.👍. However fishy fans want to do it I’m dead relaxed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
stevethefish
February 12, 2024, 4:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Mappers - 100% agree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
stevethefish
February 12, 2024, 5:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Oochiad - good for you. I remember going to Accrington a number of years back for a 0-0. Great club bar and open terraces. Looks like you are totally on the case
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
stevethefish
February 12, 2024, 5:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Oochiad - good for you. I remember going to Accrington a number of years back for a 0-0. Great club bar and open terraces. Looks like you are totally on the case
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
stevethefish
February 12, 2024, 5:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Simon - will be in touch in July. Again club need to listen to you as this is not healthy feeling like this for long term as we need to grow the fan base not decline it. Once you give up it’s too late for club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
Simon
February 12, 2024, 7:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from stevethefish
Simon - will be in touch in July. Again club need to listen to you as this is not healthy feeling like this for long term as we need to grow the fan base not decline it. Once you give up it’s too late for club

I feel for the younger generation who judge getting relegated to the national league and bouncing back twice as success, pleased i lived through the great times of the 80's and 90's and still have those memories  

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
ginnywings
February 12, 2024, 7:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from stevethefish
Ginny - thanks for the reply. I understand. My only query is if you feel the intentions at the club are correct (?)…then if you do we all have the ability to do a little more if we want to. Something tiny by hundreds or thousands of people will make a difference.

If we don’t that’s perfectly reasonable to say I’ve done enough too and the club need to “own” that part too.,

I want to try and give a push forward and encourage others to do the same, only if they want to

I volunteered weeks of my time to help build the fanzone as I do feel the intentions of the club are correct. Wouldn't have done it for the previous regime, so I've done my bit.

Having a bit of a hard time in my private life right now, and going to footy is a bit of a release; only it isn't at the moment. It makes things worse.

And it's been going on for decades now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 12, 2024, 8:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Simon

I feel for the younger generation who judge getting relegated to the national league and bouncing back twice as success, pleased i lived through the great times of the 80's and 90's and still have those memories  

Isn’t this the way that all the younger generations seem to be going? Personally, I love it and helps create that atmosphere. But, can understand the side where people dislike it

Attachment: img_7353_1654.jpeg
Size: 53.75 KB

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New Week - 06.06am train from Colchester

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.