3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
ska face
February 11, 2024, 12:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Draw a line under yesterday then & onto the next. Good to have an early opportunity to get it right, as they like to say.

Colchester with 3 draws, 1 win & 1 loss since Cowley came in. Absolutely no idea what they’re like but you’d have to imagine the management will have them well drilled & functional as a minimum.

I honestly don’t think the main problem is playing out from the back, the underlying problem is the fact we can’t defend in any meaningful sense of the word. Been the same all season, we can’t withstand any sustained pressure, are prone to lapses in concentration and have no organisation as a defensive unit. The issue with playing out from the back is that we end up putting ourselves (through poor retention & a lack of confidence) in a position where we have to defend.

That interview from Challinor was really concerning. If you know how the opposition are going to play, for definite, then just set up accordingly & inevitably we’ll fold. You’d expect Colchester to be putting it on us big time for the first 15-20 in the hope we give them a goal or two.

I don’t know if Artell’s ever set up with 3 centre-halves but I honestly wouldn’t be heartbroken if he went with another body in the middle and Smith/Hume as wingbacks. Not that I expect him to, think we’ll line up the same with maybe Andrews in for Holohan.
Private Message
LocalLadGTFC
February 11, 2024, 12:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
I'd like to see us change that midfield 3, personally i'd have Andrews or Green alongside Thompson in front of the back four and then Charles, Arthur, Abo in behind Danny Rose. I think it solves two problems we have. It protects our back 4 more and it gets people closer to Danny Rose. The playing out the back isn't the problem, it's when it goes forward we can't expect Danny Rose to compete against two centre halfs and a holding midfielder by himself. There's nobody within 15 yards of him so it just comes straight back at us. It's one thing that Pyke did so well when he was in the side so I think we'll possibly see him come back into the side aswell as Charles.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 21
IlkleyMariner
February 11, 2024, 12:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
It’s n the stars….Vernham starts and scores a wonder goal to give town an important away win….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 12:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
It’s n the stars….Vernham starts and scores a wonder goal to give town an important away win….

How can you expect any player to go to Colchester & score a wonder goal ?😉

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 12:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
I'd like to see us change that midfield 3, personally i'd have Andrews or Green alongside Thompson in front of the back four and then Charles, Arthur, Abo in behind Danny Rose. I think it solves two problems we have. It protects our back 4 more and it gets people closer to Danny Rose. The playing out the back isn't the problem, it's when it goes forward we can't expect Danny Rose to compete against two centre halfs and a holding midfielder by himself. There's nobody within 15 yards of him so it just comes straight back at us. It's one thing that Pyke did so well when he was in the side so I think we'll possibly see him come back into the side aswell as Charles.  

Charles in behind Rose, the midfield 3 still remains a conundrum but would suggest Green may start as he has the experience and I would imagine they’d target Andrews .

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 12:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I went to watch Harrogate v Colchester yesterday so got a good look at them. It was a really even, if uninspiring game which Harrogate won 1-0 with a late goal. In my opinion Colchester will beat us comfortably (as will Harrogate when the rearranged game is played). They’ve got 4 or 5 good players and they are generally very physically strong, athletic and they look after the ball well. They’re not offensively scary, but they get the ball forward quickly and create chances. They also don’t squander possession easily and they don’t f*ck about at the back, although they don’t lump it - they try to pass out, but have players who don’t take silly risks, can control the ball when it’s passed to them and who can make good decisions.

Harrogate are very similar in many ways - they very visibly play out from the back - often with the keeper just giving the ball to a defender in their own six yard box on restarts, but again, with a fraction of the resource we have, they’ve found competent players who can control the ball, who can pass and move and who visibly show they know what they’re doing. Sickened me really that we are not competing with these functional but competent 4th division teams. With our income through the turnstiles and big support. Can’t seem to help but struggle with league football every time we claw our way back. Disgraceful really. If it’s not coincidental then what is it? Financial? Cultural? Structural? Haven’t we been told we’ve addressed all those and yet…..Grimsby Town in L2…apparently one of the ‘big 6’ in the division - perpetually uncompetitive and often, really cr*p.

Anyway, they will high press us to a degree if we insists on our ugly attempt at fudging this tactic,  and they do leave space in behind if play is switched long, quick and diagonal. Harrogate got into attacking areas readily but Colchester’s defence is generally solid, unlike ours.

Their players who stood out are Chilvers - a tidy ball player with good movement and Fevrier - an absolute unit going forward who is rock solid and a nuisance. Hopper did little but will probably terrorise our defensive stooges,  and Akinde, who came on as sub, didn’t do much to Harrogate but would probably make our two centre backs wet their shorts.
So - physical, athletic, tidy, structured, defensively solid and quick to break with purpose. Many attributes that we don’t have.
If we get a result there I’ll be astonished.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
headingly_mariner
February 11, 2024, 12:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,377
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from ska face
Draw a line under yesterday then & onto the next. Good to have an early opportunity to get it right, as they like to say.

Colchester with 3 draws, 1 win & 1 loss since Cowley came in. Absolutely no idea what they’re like but you’d have to imagine the management will have them well drilled & functional as a minimum.

I honestly don’t think the main problem is playing out from the back, the underlying problem is the fact we can’t defend in any meaningful sense of the word. Been the same all season, we can’t withstand any sustained pressure, are prone to lapses in concentration and have no organisation as a defensive unit. The issue with playing out from the back is that we end up putting ourselves (through poor retention & a lack of confidence) in a position where we have to defend.

That interview from Challinor was really concerning. If you know how the opposition are going to play, for definite, then just set up accordingly & inevitably we’ll fold. You’d expect Colchester to be putting it on us big time for the first 15-20 in the hope we give them a goal or two.

I don’t know if Artell’s ever set up with 3 centre-halves but I honestly wouldn’t be heartbroken if he went with another body in the middle and Smith/Hume as wingbacks. Not that I expect him to, think we’ll line up the same with maybe Andrews in for Holohan.

I've said quite a few times recently we could do with the security of 3 centre halves and all of our full backs could do a job at wingback. But I think we could switch between the two, should've done it yesterday, but maybe not against the weaker teams.

I wouldn't have Andrews anywhere near it, he's not a league footballer yet. I do wonder if Hunt is injured though.

Think Vernam must start and id like to see Pyke in on the other side.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
FishySmithy
February 11, 2024, 4:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
Can you pay on the gate for this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
1mickylyons
February 11, 2024, 4:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I've said quite a few times recently we could do with the security of 3 centre halves and all of our full backs could do a job at wingback. But I think we could switch between the two, should've done it yesterday, but maybe not against the weaker teams.

I wouldn't have Andrews anywhere near it, he's not a league footballer yet. I do wonder if Hunt is injured though.

Think Vernam must start and id like to see Pyke in on the other side.

Security with our choices of CB 😆
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
It Bites
February 11, 2024, 5:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,201
Gold Stars: 265
The Cowleys will use every psychological trick they can on Tuesday. He will have them solely focused on our weaknesses and they will exploit them if we play like the first half yesterday . Play like we did at Accrington and we’ll walk away with 3 points , The Grimsby way can WAIT . You only had to look at Challinors face when he was asked about our playing out from the back . He had to hold a smirk in
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
The Caterham Mariner
February 11, 2024, 5:49pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 8
A game now will be very much watched / interest taken ,from my point of view  as to where we will  be going at 15 league games left,under this DA regime and the squad he has.
Colchester Utd's ground is one i despise to big for the club you feel you rattle round in it.
"Come on Town pull it out the bag !"
UTM.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
arryarryarry
February 11, 2024, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

I bet you are thinking along the lines of him picking the ball up outside our penalty area, running nearly the full length of the pitch, beating player after player then putting it in the net.

Dream on, it could never happen.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
When we lose this game on Tuesday….especially if it’s in pathetic, self sabotaging incompetence style, it’ll be a cauldron of anger and spite on here and Twitter. Doncaster game is huge.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
1mickylyons
February 12, 2024, 7:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
A mate of mine who's a Lincoln fan said the Cowley’s were nailed on for the Grimsby job before Artell got it.I wasn't thrilled about them but felt oh well they know what they're doing in terms of winning games.Nothing has changed in that regard I will be pleasantly surprised if we avoid defeat here because there shithouse tactics and game management are different gravy.Artell and passing is one way to bypass this with ball retention but I just don't know that our players are good enough? Defeat here will be a major blow to survival and will heap pressure on the team come Saturday and a game v Donny.Ffs Town roll your sleeves up dig in and battle get some pride back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
toontown
February 12, 2024, 8:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from 1mickylyons
A mate of mine who's a Lincoln fan said the Cowley’s were nailed on for the Grimsby job before Artell got it.I wasn't thrilled about them but felt oh well they know what they're doing in terms of winning games.Nothing has changed in that regard I will be pleasantly surprised if we avoid defeat here because there shithouse tactics and game management are different gravy.Artell and passing is one way to bypass this with ball retention but I just don't know that our players are good enough? Defeat here will be a major blow to survival and will heap pressure on the team come Saturday and a game v Donny.Ffs Town roll your sleeves up dig in and battle get some pride back.

I'd be surprised about the Cowley's getting the town job because they wanted to stay in commute distance of Chelsea women for one of their daughters and they totally don't match the stated aim of possession, attractive football. Not that Artell is doing a good job on the attractive side either!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
February 12, 2024, 10:14am
Guest User
Quoted from 1mickylyons

A Lincoln fan eh?  Well it must be true then!!!

Reply: 15 - 21
Mariner Timsky
February 12, 2024, 2:03pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Tuesday night -  

Barrow v FGR - Home win please

Colchester v Town - Just DON'T LOSE Town - take a 0-0 right now in fact!

Salford v Donny - Home win / Draw will do

Sutton v Wrexham - As much as I am loving Wrexham losing the last three - surely they can't lose this one!? - Away win

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
Son of Cod
February 12, 2024, 2:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from FishySmithy
Can you pay on the gate for this?

Bad news I'm afraid, we are indeed able to pay on the gate for this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
kevikov
February 12, 2024, 2:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Son of Cod

Bad news I'm afraid, we are indeed able to pay on the gate for this.

I am very surprised.

The state of our form atm, you’d think it would be pay us to go in.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
DB
February 12, 2024, 2:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
I wonder if the team squad are sponsoring a bus to take fans to the game.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
chaos33
February 12, 2024, 5:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Best part of  a 400 mile round trip from Grimsby on a work day and another one the next.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
SpiritOf98
February 12, 2024, 5:17pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Tuesday night -  

Barrow v FGR - Home win please

Colchester v Town - Just DON'T LOSE Town - take a 0-0 right now in fact!

Salford v Donny - Home win / Draw will do

Sutton v Wrexham - As much as I am loving Wrexham losing the last three - surely they can't lose this one!? - Away win

Still a touch of possible fortune going our way, bottom two playing 4th and 5th and Donny up against an improved Salford.
Don't mess this up Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tuesday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.