This thread currently has 2,656 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Simon
February 10, 2024, 9:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Apart from the odd screamer of a goal early in the season which the opposition are now on to so are shutting him down can anyone tell me what else he brings to the team, certainly hasn't got a tackle in him

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 9:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Simon
Apart from the odd screamer of a goal early in the season which the opposition are now on to so are shutting him down can anyone tell me what else he brings to the team, certainly hasn't got a tackle in him

Very greedy player

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Simon

Completely jibbed out of a challenge just after their first goal today. Always looking for the shot and not the pass.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
Captain Sensible
February 10, 2024, 9:59pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Simon

Nine league goals. One behind Rose. In slightly fewer minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
HerveJosse
February 10, 2024, 10:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Wouldn’t get into a decent side but still worth a place in ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 12:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Captain Sensible

Nine league goals. One behind Rose. In slightly fewer minutes.

This. His last few goals haven’t been ‘screamers’. They’ve happened by him being in the right place at the right time. There’s not too much wrong with Eisa, or any of our offensive players really. It’s our defending that has got us into this mess.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
livosnose
February 11, 2024, 12:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,174
Gold Stars: 15
9 goals . He’s doing his job .

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
golfer
February 11, 2024, 9:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,445
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from chaos33

This. His last few goals haven’t been ‘screamers’. They’ve happened by him being in the right place at the right time. There’s not too much wrong with Eisa, or any of our offensive players really. It’s our defending that has got us into this mess.

At the moment they are all offensive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
Ruston AT
February 11, 2024, 1:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10

He may have scored a few goals but, can't/won't tackle, can't/won't head a ball. Sorry Abu but your a luxury we can't carry in the trenches, maybe as a 80th min sub but not as a starter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Bawmariner
February 11, 2024, 1:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
Not really sure why people are getting on the attackers backs. Our goal to game ratio means we are currently on track to score 64 goals. I had a look back to the late 90s and no team has been relegated with 64 goals. The last time a team got relegated with more than 60 goals was 2003/04. Most relegated teams go down having scored less than 50 goals. We've easily scored enough goals yo stay up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ruston AT

He may have scored a few goals but, can't/won't tackle, can't/won't head a ball. Sorry Abu but your a luxury we can't carry in the trenches, maybe as a 80th min sub but not as a starter.

His goals and goal threat are much more important than how good his tackling is. Maher’s finishing is probably sub par but he’s not really in the team for that is he. I might say that I think he could be more of a presence, more of a nuisance, more of a threat etc, but for a L2 attacker who isn’t an out and out striker I’m satisfied with his goals as a major contribution. Reasonable to think that he’ll probably finish the season with 12 or more goals. That’ll do for me over his heading and tackling. I’ll restate - all the offensive players we have are decent and given the very mediocre midfield performances and calamitous, hapless defending going on behind them meaning their service is limited and their chances to secure wins are rare, this isn’t bad.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Lost in Lincoln
February 11, 2024, 2:07pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +386
Gold Stars: 7
His pathetic attempt to stop the cross for the 3rd goal yesterday sums up his defensive value.

However, 9 league goals in a excrement team isn't half bad. So he's doing that side of the job, not many L2 2 wingers are greatvat tracking back tbf.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 24
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2024, 2:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Bawmariner
Not really sure why people are getting on the attackers backs. Our goal to game ratio means we are currently on track to score 64 goals. I had a look back to the late 90s and no team has been relegated with 64 goals. The last time a team got relegated with more than 60 goals was 2003/04. Most relegated teams go down having scored less than 50 goals. We've easily scored enough goals yo stay up.

Are you taking into account that our last 3 games have produced 2 goals, neither of which gave us any points?

Previous to that we scored 5 which brought us just the one point. If we keep shipping goals like we do it won't matter how many we score, will it?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
Simon
February 11, 2024, 2:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln
His pathetic attempt to stop the cross for the 3rd goal yesterday sums up his defensive value.

However, 9 league goals in a excrement team isn't half bad. So he's doing that side of the job, not many L2 2 wingers are greatvat tracking back tbf.

The opposition just walk round him like he's not there thats my worry about him, agree he has the ability to pop up in the goal mouth at the right time to grab a goal or two but he needs to get better at the dirty side of the game for me

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
Bawmariner
February 11, 2024, 4:12pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1

Are you taking into account that our last 3 games have produced 2 goals, neither of which gave us any points?

Previous to that we scored 5 which brought us just the one point. If we keep shipping goals like we do it won't matter how many we score, will it?

You can cut it any which way you like. We could score 64 goals and still go down. When we score the goals obviously matters too. We could win every game 4-3 in which case shipping goals wouldn't matter.

We've got a decent attacking line up which should give us every chance of staying up. This time next week we'll know how much trouble we'll be in. We've had a bad habit of looking better than most of the bottom teams but not winning though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
Lost in Lincoln
February 11, 2024, 4:42pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +386
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Simon

The opposition just walk round him like he's not there thats my worry about him, agree he has the ability to pop up in the goal mouth at the right time to grab a goal or two but he needs to get better at the dirty side of the game for me

I absolutely get that, and the 3rd goal yesterday was proof in point.

But if he was better at the dirty side he wouldn't be playing in L2

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 24
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
If we could defend, nobody would care. Danny Rose does a lot defensively as an attacker. We’ve got two/three midfielders and four defenders who have a whole lot more defensive responsibility than Eisa, and, generally speaking, they have fallen way short. Fundamentally, and in essence, defenders and defensive midfielders are tasked with stopping, reducing, suppressing, minimising goals and goal scoring opportunities. Attacking players need to score, fundamentally. He’s got 9. Tick. They’ve all f***ed it right up. Cross. I know where my finger points.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
mimma
February 11, 2024, 5:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
What you don't realise is that word has got round about his shooting and the opposition are now putting a man in front of him to stop it.  A case in point was him scoring from a short corner routine. Now the opposition put a player in front of him to stop it meaning he's taken a defender out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Norseman
February 11, 2024, 10:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from chaos33

His goals and goal threat are much more important than how good his tackling is. Maher’s finishing is probably sub par but he’s not really in the team for that is he. I might say that I think he could be more of a presence, more of a nuisance, more of a threat etc, but for a L2 attacker who isn’t an out and out striker I’m satisfied with his goals as a major contribution. Reasonable to think that he’ll probably finish the season with 12 or more goals. That’ll do for me over his heading and tackling. I’ll restate - all the offensive players we have are decent and given the very mediocre midfield performances and calamitous, hapless defending going on behind them meaning their service is limited and their chances to secure wins are rare, this isn’t bad.

Mahers defending is sub par .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
Heisenberg
February 11, 2024, 11:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
All this talk of Abo - he can score goals, but very little else. It’s a tough call. What’s clear to me is that Arthur is easily the classiest player we have, with the best first touch and flicks. But he doesn’t really score. I’d like to see Eisa play the 10 role, with Arthur and Vernam on the wings. Or maybe Arthur and Abo switch roles.

I actually thought if you’d have made a combined XI based on the first half yesterday, it would have been 10 Stockport players plus Arthur.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
toontown
February 12, 2024, 12:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Heisenberg
All this talk of Abo - he can score goals, but very little else. It’s a tough call. What’s clear to me is that Arthur is easily the classiest player we have, with the best first touch and flicks. But he doesn’t really score. I’d like to see Eisa play the 10 role, with Arthur and Vernam on the wings. Or maybe Arthur and Abo switch roles.

I actually thought if you’d have made a combined XI based on the first half yesterday, it would have been 10 Stockport players plus Arthur.

Arthur doesn't set others up to score either, flatters to deceive, ultimately doesn't contribute enough of that. A slightly better khan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
Stew0_0
February 12, 2024, 4:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 35
All this talk of Abu's defensive frailties and yet the same could be said about Gnahoau and Vernam. In fact Charlies heavy touch back towards goal lead to a Notts County goal the other week.  The difference between the 3 is that Eisa is performing going forward and now we have more solid full backs these points shouldn't be as much a problem moving forward. Personally am happy with Abu's contribution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
Marinerdeano
February 12, 2024, 4:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
I personally think he is a really decent player but like a lot of players here, if he went elsewhere he'd do really well and we'd be scratching our heads as to why. Getting behind the lads certainly plays a key factor that's for sure. Case in point years ago with Danny Butterfield. You don't know what you have lost until they are gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
Mappers
February 12, 2024, 4:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
He's there to be a matchwinner and is .

I'm not even his biggest fan , and he's not particularly my sort of player- I like the old Hurst style grafter who does the all round thing out wide .

But Eisa is doing his job and can't be deemed a major contributor to the mess we are in , for me .

He will have takers from a league up in the summer , I'm sure .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
oochiad
February 12, 2024, 7:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Abo is a threat that we absolutely need, that’s it really. 9 goals says all you need to know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.