Limerick Mariner
February 3, 2024, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
On the train…

Better side, especially in the second half, Great debut by Curtis Thompson, and fair play to Harry who had great energy and helped us dominate the final quarter. Would have been fair enough on Accy if Danny Rose had snatched it with the header at the death. Both full backs had competent debuts defensively and broke forward well at times. Thought Rodger had a good game. I’m hoping we see better from him if he has more confidence in the defending out wide.

Not sure what the Accy game plan was as they offered little - maybe it was keep it tight and wait for the inevitable Gy blunder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
It Bites
February 3, 2024, 6:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,202
Gold Stars: 265
I can say with all genuine honesty that is the best performance under DA .
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
pontoonlew
February 3, 2024, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,038
Gold Stars: 177
Good performance that we were unlucky to walk away from without 3 points.

Thompson & Smith were massive improvements, Hume also recovered from a shaky start.

The passing out from the back in the first half was borderline suicidal but we came away unscathed and definitely our most solid defensive performance of the season.

Eisa needs a run out of the side, a couple of times he stood & moaned about a wayward pass whilst Accrington broke away, he offered absolutely nothing all game and Vernam deserves a start.

Everybody else I thought had good games, Arthur & Gav certainly made us look better and Clifton contributed well.

It’s hard to see this squad going down and I feel today has proven that again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
Oly1987
February 3, 2024, 7:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Solid performance today. Thompson was really a class above and showed what we've been missing in the middle of the park. Supported the defence, broke up play and was an outlet forward from our playing out the back. Hume was very rusty in the first half, failed to get his foot on the ball a few times and had 0 chemistry with Eisa but hopefully that's something that can be worked on in training. We shouldve won was the better team but will take a point and a clean sheet. Hopefully a sign of improvement in the coming weeks. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
barralad
February 3, 2024, 7:39pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
A very good point on the road with, as others have said decent debuts from all three new signings. Thompson looks a real find. Hume although a bit rusty is bloody quick. His speed getting forward surprised Accrington and unfortunately our own players weren't prepared for it either-failing to give him the ball on several occasions in the second half when we were on top. Of the "old school" Arthur looked very lively first half.  If Rose stays here any length of time he will almost certainly attain "legend" status. His workrate ia absolutely phenomenal and was so unlucky not to win the game late on.

Not surprisingly there were still some negatives-the persistence in playing out from the back nearly cost us and one or two seem to lack the cahones for the fight we find ourselves in with an unwillingness to put themselves about when things don't quite happen for them.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
golfer
February 3, 2024, 7:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
If we can keep this midfield together there wont be any chance of us going down. Best Town performance for a long time. I think the tide is turning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
NorthseaMariner
February 3, 2024, 8:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
All three new signings looked at least a quality above what we had. Hopefully things can only get better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
IlkleyMariner
February 3, 2024, 8:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Massive improvement and played som good pacy attacks in second half.

One small word of warning. Accrington played their youngest ever line up with the oldest player being 24 and their captain is 19 years old.

Let’s not that take away a good performance though . The second half alone merited 3 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
ancientmariner54
February 3, 2024, 8:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Thompson  quality ,Gnouha outstanding  and I thought Rogers had his best game to date ..U.T.M.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
chaos33
February 3, 2024, 10:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Massive improvement and played som good pacy attacks in second half.

One small word of warning. Accrington played their youngest ever line up with the oldest player being 24 and their captain is 19 years old.

Let’s not that take away a good performance though . The second half alone merited 3 points.

Fair play Accrington. Just, in so many ways a great community club; sneered at but  doing well on modest resources in an old fashioned stadium in a medium sized northern town.  I like them. They sort of encapsulate and preserve a snapshot concept of the football league and how it is if you pretend it’s 1985.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
chaos33
February 3, 2024, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Can anyone share a link to the post match interview….?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
Southwark Mariner
February 3, 2024, 10:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from chaos33
Can anyone share a link to the post match interview….?

Tweet 1753842940370186380 will appear here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0h8wlqs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
Grantham_Mariner
February 3, 2024, 10:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,188
Gold Stars: 51
Bring on Stockport  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
Fulwood Mariner
February 3, 2024, 11:00pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +30
We definitely looked much tighter at the back today, hopefully gives us a much better platform to get the points we need to stay safe. Who else went in Coley’s bar? It was amazing, way better than anything I’ve been to at any other ground. Hats off to Stanley & how they run their club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
chaos33
February 4, 2024, 4:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

Thank you 👍

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
The Caterham Mariner
February 4, 2024, 7:46am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 8
Sounded good on radio commentary , an improvement which could be the turning point to save our season (IMO) then we could have a good positive start for next season under DA and start improving to get out of a rut.
To see it with my own eyes Wimbledon,Sutton ,Gillingham and Crawley .
Don't want to be going to Bromley ,Woking and Dover if we can help it , We've had enough of that to be honest.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
chaos33
February 4, 2024, 9:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Just watched the highlights. Visibly a greater sense of urgency and energy in our play which is encouraging. Also the very stark illustration of the mindless lunacy of our keeper starting a move by rolling a sideways 8 inch pass along our own six yard line and that swiftly leading to us giving the ball away and conceding a needless chance that should have led to goal against. I mean…..who thinks this is a good idea in L2. In a back four that’s never played together before. It’s like hitting yourself in the face with a pan whilst you’re trying to concentrate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
pontoonlew
February 4, 2024, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,038
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from chaos33
Just watched the highlights. Visibly a greater sense of urgency and energy in our play which is encouraging. Also the very stark illustration of the mindless lunacy of our keeper starting a move by rolling a sideways 8 inch pass along our own six yard line and that swiftly leading to us giving the ball away and conceding a needless chance that should have led to goal against. I mean…..who thinks this is a good idea in L2. In a back four that’s never played together before. It’s like hitting yourself in the face with a pan whilst you’re trying to concentrate.

The players had a bit of a disagreement in the box after it, Cartwrights argument appeared to be ‘that’s what I’ve been told to do’ which is fine but sometimes you have to do what is sensible in the moment. Rodgers wasn’t even ready for the pass and Smith must’ve been wondering what on earth they were all playing at.

However, numerous times yesterday we saw how playing out the back can work well and we opened up space down the flanks as a result of a few cleverly strung together passes. It’s just going to take time for the whole squad to be on board, part of that is realising when it’s better to go more direct.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
rancido
February 4, 2024, 10:36am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

A very balanced, fair, open and honest appraisal of the match. Also good that he's cleared up the DW situation. He wanted him to stay but in the same token wanted what was best for the player.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
chaos33
February 4, 2024, 10:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Playing out from the back should not start with that very specific pass I named. Keeper passes to defender standing half a foot to the side of him on the 6 yard line. FFS. That is a stupid, needless, suicidal start on every conceivable level.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
IlkleyMariner
February 4, 2024, 10:47am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Can you please send details of link to highlights
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
Abdul19
February 4, 2024, 11:00am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
Limerick Mariner
February 4, 2024, 11:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

A very balanced, fair, open and honest appraisal of the match. Also good that he's cleared up the DW situation. He wanted him to stay but in the same token wanted what was best for the player.

Much more relaxed wasn't it. A week ago, after the sh!tshow, he will have probably realised that last weeks task in the window with the squad was not just aspiration and evolution to improve, but absolutely essential remedial work. That will have been stressful. We've done it and the first signs are promising. It's clear Mullarky is now seen as CB cover (rumoured that was his preferred position and PH pushed him to FB), which explains why we've only brought one CB in and I can envisage a different role for Glennon covering left-side midfield.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
rancido
February 4, 2024, 12:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Much more relaxed wasn't it. A week ago, after the sh!tshow, he will have probably realised that last weeks task in the window with the squad was not just aspiration and evolution to improve, but absolutely essential remedial work. That will have been stressful. We've done it and the first signs are promising. It's clear Mullarky is now seen as CB cover (rumoured that was his preferred position and PH pushed him to FB), which explains why we've only brought one CB in and I can envisage a different role for Glennon covering left-side midfield.

IMO I think DA realised within a short time what are problems and weaknesses were. Only supposition but I think he used the time to identify who we could get to combat those weaknesses and try to secure those players in the transfer window.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
IlkleyMariner
February 4, 2024, 2:08pm
Champagne Drinker
I thought Cartwrights ball handling when dealing with high crosses was excellent yesterday. He is coming along nicely as our number one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
Maringer
February 4, 2024, 4:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,527
Gold Stars: 185

It's clear Mullarky is now seen as CB cover (rumoured that was his preferred position and PH pushed him to FB)

It's funny how the rumours go. I'm sure I remember reading that Mullarkey had always seen himself as a full-back, despite playing as a centre-back for most of his career!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
AncientExiledMariner
February 4, 2024, 5:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59

I think he's only 4th choice CB, but he's backup right back also. It doesn't mean he's preferred there, it just means Tharme was injured and we needed cover there. He was also there in case Smith struggled. He's got a lot of work to go defensively to get back in the team, but without being able to spot danger or risks and hold position, I fear for him at CB and RB. Maybe could come on to cover RM, but I personally don't see enough in him to have much confidence right now. Happy to be proven wrong, but he definitely needs some time out of the team to work on his game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
HertsGTFC
February 4, 2024, 7:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228

I think he's only 4th choice CB, but he's backup right back also. It doesn't mean he's preferred there, it just means Tharme was injured and we needed cover there. He was also there in case Smith struggled. He's got a lot of work to go defensively to get back in the team, but without being able to spot danger or risks and hold position, I fear for him at CB and RB. Maybe could come on to cover RM, but I personally don't see enough in him to have much confidence right now. Happy to be proven wrong, but he definitely needs some time out of the team to work on his game.

Agree with this, clearly he can play, just needs to learn how to defend at this level.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Neilo83
February 5, 2024, 7:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Maringer

It's funny how the rumours go. I'm sure I remember reading that Mullarkey had always seen himself as a full-back, despite playing as a centre-back for most of his career!

I’d rather he stuck to personal training and social media as his main job, would be much more beneficial for us as a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
AncientExiledMariner
February 6, 2024, 1:31am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
I'm wondering if he can maybe replace Thompson in DM towards the end of a match if he's getting tired. He's a defender so will need to deal with some of the responsibilities needed, but if he need to run forward and join an attack he can do that also. Might completely fall flat, but it's another option for the guy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
Hagrid
February 6, 2024, 7:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,421
Gold Stars: 534
I'm wondering if he can maybe replace Thompson in DM towards the end of a match if he's getting tired. He's a defender so will need to deal with some of the responsibilities needed, but if he need to run forward and join an attack he can do that also. Might completely fall flat, but it's another option for the guy.

The issue is, he cant defend

Thompson will be fine when he gets up to speed, I thought he looked very impressive on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
Limerick Mariner
February 6, 2024, 4:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

The issue is, he cant defend

Thompson will be fine when he gets up to speed, I thought he looked very impressive on Saturday

I don’t think I can remember a better debut for a Jan window signing going straight into the team. Although Trevor Whymark’s mid- season debut ( v Chelsea) was better…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
grimsby pete
February 6, 2024, 4:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Talking of playing from the back.

Brentford caught Man City out last night. Their keeper kicked in long past the halfway line while city were calling for offside to which we know you can not be offside from a goal kick the ball was in the back of the net with the assist going to the keeper.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
Limerick Mariner
February 6, 2024, 4:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Brentford caught Man City out last night. Their keeper kicked in long past the halfway line while city were calling for offside to which we know you can not be offside from a goal kick the ball was in the back of the net with the assist going to the keeper.

Did you see Wednesday at Hudders - trying to compete with our Walsall and Notts performances at the back…?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
grimsby pete
February 6, 2024, 7:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222

Did you see Wednesday at Hudders - trying to compete with our Walsall and Notts performances at the back…?

Yes I thought we are not on our own in not been able to defend.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
MarinerRob
February 6, 2024, 8:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from grimsby pete

In the same against Chelsea in 2019 a big boot from McKeown deep into Chelsea's half. Without a Chelsea player touching the ball Green volleyed it into the net. What a moment!
No playing out from the back with that goal

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.