February 2, 2024, 12:29pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,750
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
we’ve signed 6 players in a January window, 3 of them on deadline day that look to be very good signings. It was all about evolution not revolution as DA said. You obviously judge them on what they do whilst they’re here but it’s quite clear DA knew what he wanted. I think there’s good players in both Maher and Rodgers, they aren’t bad players at all. I think Rodgers needs time out the side to rediscover that early season form and i’ll never ever write a centre half off after Waterfall. Mullarkey to me just is too slow to be a full back, and it doesn’t help we have no pace at all on the other side. Smith and Hume both notably are massive improvements imo. Smith especially could be a massive coup, very good pedigree coming through at Rangers and played a lot of games for good Scottish clubs. Conteh left last week and Thompson looks like a really good find, especially when Notts County fans are fuming they wasn’t in for him because he’s everything a midfield needs. Played 22 games in the league above already. I think we lack another central midfielder but I think Thompson, Holohan, Clifton, Hunt, Wood, Green, Andrews, Braithwaite and then you could throw Arthur in there as he looked very good in the 10 at MK Dons is enough in there. I’m a lot more positive than I was at the start of the week as it’s quite clear Artell saw the weaknesses we all have seen and addressed them accordingly. I think Joe needs some praise because all I was reading before was people saying expect young kids in on loan. Well we’ve signed 3 very very experienced players from the level above.
Yep just like you said. I'm quite pleased with the 3 new additions on deadline day, hopefully they do great.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
Nutsy
February 2, 2024, 12:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
A back line of Smith, Thame, Maher and Hume looks a lot more convincing than we have had. With Glennon, Mullarkey and Rodgers as back ups.

As mentioned above, Waterfall was terrible in his first stint here; so I am confident Rodgers will return to form next season. On paper, that defence is top 10 in the league.

Midfield is a little light however, Thompson is a superb signing. Anchor him with either Holohan, Clifton or Wood, with Andrews or Arthur ahead it looks like a good balance of youth and experience.

I was a little disappointed we didn't sign another forward, however Vernam, Arthur, Eisa flanking Rose looks extremely dependable. Pyke and Wilson to come back in as well provides some depth.

Overall, I am happy with what we have done in January: profitably sold on a young player to a league above (as we have all been craving to do, ala Peterborough, for years, signed experienced players from the league above in problem areas, and, lastly, we paid some fees for players.

Yes, we could have done more but 6 signings in the door, one outgoing, is excellent work. We will stay up, and we will recruit as DA sees fit in summer to mount a promotion charge next season.

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Quagmire
February 2, 2024, 12:36pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +931
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from It Bites

I thought it was Exeter ?

Think Ginny means that had we beaten Scunny rather than losing, we'd be 3 points better off and they'd be 3 points worse off so they'd have gone down rather than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
ginnywings
February 2, 2024, 6:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,142
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Quagmire

Think Ginny means that had we beaten Scunny rather than losing, we'd be 3 points better off and they'd be 3 points worse off so they'd have gone down rather than us.

Yes, that's what I meant. We need to win a few games, but if those wins were against FGR, Sutton and Donny, then that would help our cause no end.

Obviously a win is a win, but if you beat or don't lose to the other teams around you, it's more advantageous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
RonMariner
February 2, 2024, 6:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,716
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes, that's what I meant. We need to win a few games, but if those wins were against FGR, Sutton and Donny, then that would help our cause no end.

Obviously a win is a win, but if you beat or don't lose to the other teams around you, it's more advantageous.

Yes, the games you mention are real six pointers. Winning those games would make staying up much more likely. The goods news is that it is still in our hands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
kevikov
February 2, 2024, 6:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Its interesting that DA and the players have said that the club were interested in them at the start of the season or certainly before DA arrived, so, either they were hursts original targets and they didnt come off or they were "identified" by the recruitment team and for whatever reason thery didnt sign at the start of the season, does make me wonder if the recruitment team being the majority in player targets was a major factor in hurst leaving and DA accepting the role.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
kevikov
February 2, 2024, 6:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Ooops, just seen the Head of recruitment thread.  

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
toontown
February 2, 2024, 6:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from kevikov
Its interesting that DA and the players have said that the club were interested in them at the start of the season or certainly before DA arrived, so, either they were hursts original targets and they didnt come off or they were "identified" by the recruitment team and for whatever reason thery didnt sign at the start of the season, does make me wonder if the recruitment team being the majority in player targets was a major factor in hurst leaving and DA accepting the role.

Or perhaps that Hurst vetoing recruitment targets to bring in his own was a factor in the decision to sack him when his players failed?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
kevikov
February 2, 2024, 6:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Or perhaps that Hurst vetoing recruitment targets to bring in his own was a factor in the decision to sack him when his players failed?

Yeah that, or, Hurst was given a list and told to pick from it? I know JS has said the manager gets final decision but possibly its from a list that the recruitment team compile. Maybe hurst didnt do so well with that where as DA is happy with it. DA mentioned not being the sole responsibilty of everything and having different roles filled with driven people will allow him to do what he does better.

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
toontown
February 2, 2024, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
We have hopefully solved all of the obvious current issues, FBS and 1 of the CBs and the DM. All appear to be an upgrade on what we have. Happy enough with that for January.

The issue of if rose is injured we are probably copulated hasn't been solved but fingers crossed he won't be nd nobody would be replacing him who we could get in

Satisfied
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Town transfer window

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.