Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,065 views. Print
56 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
January 27, 2024, 7:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Gosh. Knee jerk. I supported Hurst to the end and I'm the one to chip in?

Previously, Mullarkey got shredded, and we lost our DM. He had either Green or Clifton to go in at DM. He chose Harry on the wing to offer cover for Mullarkey who certainly needs it. Both choices were correct IMHO. Gav has about 4/5 matches I've seen highlights with him casually strolling back and getting caught out with goals scored. He's good going forward,  but he's battling against Andrews, Hunt and Wood. Wood needs a shot and Andrews pass rate is a lot better than Holahan if I remember correctly.

Result sucks, but choices are limited. I would have personally gone with Maher over Rodgers but would it have made a difference?

We need a RB to replace Efete, and that isn't helping. We need a LB to offer competition for Glennon. We don't really have that. None of these are Artel's fault, it is the same hand anyone would play with and it isn't easy.

He started well and everyone assumed this was an easy job. Nope. We have serious squad problems and you only have super glue to patch up in Jan.

I get it's easy to complain and blame, but that's just for coping. It doesn't solved our problems.

In truth we probably could get away with this season if we played a typical league 2 style / Hurst original type football with these players (a good few of them saw us through to an 11th place finish last time out )  but I'm not sure Artell has that capability to put this sort of team together so I honestly believe either he signs the players to fit his style now or we go down , or if not down very close to it as they have not got the technical capability to carry out what's required from his game style .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 556
Swansea_Mariner
January 27, 2024, 7:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
I think it can now be definitively said that Hursts recruitment this season was absolute gash.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 556
Kris2
January 27, 2024, 7:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
You lot love getting managers fired, it's seriously the thing this board gets the most joy from except when something positive about the fans is mentioned and you all cum in your pants.

We shipped less than 5 goals for the first time in 3 games, I don't see how that isn't "steadying the ship" except that we lost this game. Apparently conceding 5 at home after conceding 6 at home was fine because it was a draw  .

As soon as we win a game you'll all change your tune too, only negative when we lose even if we played objectively worse. Also only happy when the club is an endless revolving door of managers so you can get that new manager thrill back after the honeymoon period wears off and it gets boring.

God forbid DA says the fans act spoiled or something because all hell would break loose.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 556
davmariner
January 27, 2024, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,931
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from HerveJosse

The owners picked Artell because they want to see passing entertaining football. Gav is one of the worst passers of a ball I have seen in an experienced midfielder so Artell doesn’t rate him and he’s out . Not rocket science

If you think Holohan’s passing is bad, then I can’t wait for you to watch our last three games!

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 556
The Caterham Mariner
January 27, 2024, 7:15pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +80
Gold Stars: 8
Oh dear I did not expect to see this thread open up.
Call me a happy clapper at this stage of the season  just wanna stay up not go to the national league AGAIN ..!!
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 556
January 27, 2024, 7:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner
Sorry to say this but wrong manager at the wrong time. This is arguably worse than under Hurst with the team looking disjointed with no fight.

He’s marginalised Holohan, Efete and Amos who in my view still have something to offer and are no worse than the players in the team.

You only have to look at Tranmere, Colchester and Salford to see the impact that a new manager should have.  

We’re going down I’m afraid to say.

Ridiculous post!

Reply: 35 - 556
jamesgtfc
January 27, 2024, 7:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mappers

In truth we probably could get away with this season if we played a typical league 2 style / Hurst original type football with these players (a good few of them saw us through to an 11th place finish last time out )  but I'm not sure Artell has that capability to put this sort of team together so I honestly believe either he signs the players to fit his style now or we go down , or if not down very close to it as they have not got the technical capability to carry out what's required from his game style .

I disagree. He can sign a few players to suit his style, but he will still be stuck with the vast majority who aren't up to playing his way. Time to abandon the style for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 556
January 27, 2024, 7:18pm
Guest User
Quoted from It Bites
He said when he arrived that Grimsby were Meh . I laughed and agreed with him because we’ve been meh for the best part of 20 years

Fast forward 3 months and we’re still meh . That was dreadful today and had all the hallmarks of a team going down . I think we should of broke the bank for someone with a history of turning teams around quickly . He’s runout of time to get them playing it’s time to start grinding out results from somewhere .

He hasn't been here 3 months!

Reply: 37 - 556
Mappers
January 27, 2024, 7:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I think it can now be definitively said that Hursts recruitment this season was absolute gash.

Kid in a sweet shop ?

More money was not his strength imo , he created a more balanced team with half the money , he will probably do really well at Shrewsbury - another backs to the wall job .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 556
Mappers
January 27, 2024, 7:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I disagree. He can sign a few players to suit his style, but he will still be stuck with the vast majority who aren't up to playing his way. Time to abandon the style for now.

Fair opinion , I feel like he tried that today though ?

It was quite turgid and aerial a lot of the game .

I'm more interested to see if he can coach that style , because he seems quite rigid in the way that he wants to play .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 556
56 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.