Mappers
January 23, 2024, 8:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-two/attendances

I think our attendances have held up really well considering our form .

I was suprised we are only 12th on the list , some really well supported clubs in league 2 now .

We averaged 6279 at home last season , with 7 of the final 10 home games against the more well followed /local teams (Donny,Bradford,Stockport and Wrexham should all fill their away allocation) we will beat that this season which will be a great achievement .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Son of Cod
January 23, 2024, 8:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Us being in 12th on 6000+ and in 19th all seaaon shows you just how healthy lower league crowds are these days compared with late 2000s and early 2010s. Some fantastic averages up at the top end.

Having said that, I have suspicions a few teams above us are not reporting bums on seats so I think in actual terms we could be more like 9th/10th. Donny for example had 8600+ in when we beat them April, not sure there were 6000 Donny there. Also MK Dons reported 5000+ earlier this season when we went there for Artell's first match. Again, didn't look to me like there were 4500 in the home ends.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
Poojah
January 23, 2024, 9:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Son of Cod
Us being in 12th on 6000+ and in 19th all seaaon shows you just how healthy lower league crowds are these days compared with late 2000s and early 2010s. Some fantastic averages up at the top end.

Having said that, I have suspicions a few teams above us are not reporting bums on seats so I think in actual terms we could be more like 9th/10th. Donny for example had 8600+ in when we beat them April, not sure there 6000 Donny there. Also MK Dons reported 5000+ earlier this when we went there for Artell's first match. Again, didn't look to me like there were 4500 in the home ends.

Precisely that kind of thing going on at MK Dons. Our figures are also hampered by the fact we can only currently accommodate 900 away fans, as opposed to the circa 2,000 that would have travelled for the likes of Notts and Mansfield in our previous league stint.

Tweet 1749021407630045397 will appear here...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
Mappers
January 23, 2024, 9:14am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Precisely that kind of thing going on at MK Dons. Our figures are also hampered by the fact we can only currently accommodate 900 away fans, as opposed to the circa 2,000 that would have travelled for the likes of Notts and Mansfield in our previous league stint.

Agree 100% that MK stadium was empty as was the Doncaster home ends .

Inability to offer a decent away capacity will certainly hamper us for those 4 big games to come as it would if we ever make it to league 1 .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
Son of Cod
January 23, 2024, 9:22am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I actually also said the 900 thing recently and was corrected, apparently we give more like 1100 to clubs that we think will sell them.

And yep, massive Darlington vibes in terms of atmosphere at MK earlier this season. Watching the goals back our celebration sounded so muted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
Poojah
January 23, 2024, 9:24am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

I actually also said the 900 thing recently and was corrected, apparently we give more like 1100 to clubs that we think will sell them.

And yep, massive Darlington vibes in terms of atmosphere at MK earlier this season. Watching the goals back our celebration sounded so muted.

Yeah, you’re quite right - Notts had the larger portion of the Osmond. Still, it’s one of the smaller away allocations in the league, I would imagine.

And MK Dons only serve to further their reputation as football’s biggest douchebags by putting away fans in the upper tier corner, making the stadium’s moon-like atmosphere even worse. Here’s what they did with Wycombe’s away allocation in the play-offs the year before last. They lost anyway, and then got relegated the next season.

Tweet 1523356256081117184 will appear here...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
Son of Cod
January 23, 2024, 9:39am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Yeah, you’re quite right - Notts had the larger portion of the Osmond. Still, it’s one of the smaller away allocations in the league, I would imagine.

And MK Dons only serve to further their reputation as football’s biggest douchebags by putting away fans in the upper tier corner, making the stadium’s moon-like atmosphere even worse. Here’s what they did with Wycombe’s away allocation in the play-offs the year before last. They lost anyway, and then got relegated the next season.

Tweet 1523356256081117184 will appear here...

Definitely not many smaller than us, only Harrogate and Stockport now they've started slashing theirs are smaller that I can think of off the top of my head.

And yeah that's terrible. That must be a relatively new thing at MK, I remember Mansfield taking 4000 or 5000 there for a final day of the season must win showdown not too long ago. Which MK Dons actually came out on top in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
Limerick Mariner
January 23, 2024, 12:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mappers
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-two/attendances

I think our attendances have held up really well considering our form .

I was suprised we are only 12th on the list , some really well supported clubs in league 2 now .

We averaged 6279 at home last season , with 7 of the final 10 home games against the more well followed /local teams (Donny,Bradford,Stockport and Wrexham should all fill their away allocation) we will beat that this season which will be a great achievement .

Becoming meaningless to look at this now due to some clubs using tickets sold and others like us using declaring the attendance.

Because we can compare like with like with previous seasons what we can say is our average is very good, it is at about the same level as our last promotion from season from this tier - 89/90 and also our last EFL promotion season in the all seater era - 97/98.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
Mappers
January 23, 2024, 12:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Becoming meaningless to look at this now due to some clubs using tickets sold and others like us using declaring the attendance.

Because we can compare like with like with previous seasons what we can say is our average is very good, it is at about the same level as our last promotion from season from this tier - 89/90 and also our last EFL promotion season in the all seater era - 97/98.

For any attendance nerds (I would class myself as 1) surely it should be mandatory for all clubs to use one or the other?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
Limerick Mariner
January 23, 2024, 1:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

For any attendance nerds (I would class myself as 1) surely it should be mandatory for all clubs to use one or the other?

I also confess to being a statto nerd. All started about age 7 with Geoff Boycott’s batting average…I was tracking it over the 1970 season because he was on target for a first class average over 100 - of course he made sure he did…

Then we had the McMenemy season with Town getting way bigger crowds than any other Div 4 club so I tracked that average…then finished top of the primary school class for numerical reasoning…then I became a property valuer…

So in summary I completely agree, it’s ridiculous that that all clubs aren’t using the same basis.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
TownSNAFU5
January 23, 2024, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Interesting to compare average attendances with the Championship equivalent in 1985-86.  Football tickets were relatively cheaper then but football was less socially popular (for a variety of reasons).

I have the Town v Leeds programme from the 8 Feb 86.

Our home average was only 4,759 (to Jan 86).. Leeds had an average of only 13,577.  

The pattern was low attendances for most teams: Palace (6,782), Middlesbrough (6,390), Hull (7,856) and Stoke (7,789).  

Norwich (top), Portsmouth (second) and Sunderland had the highest average home attendances.  Even then their average was only 15,000.  

Things are a lot rosier these days.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
Mappers
January 23, 2024, 2:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I also confess to being a statto nerd. All started about age 7 with Geoff Boycott’s batting average…I was tracking it over the 1970 season because he was on target for a first class average over 100 - of course he made sure he did…

Then we had the McMenemy season with Town getting way bigger crowds than any other Div 4 club so I tracked that average…then finished top of the primary school class for numerical reasoning…then I became a property valuer…

So in summary I completely agree, it’s ridiculous that that all clubs aren’t using the same basis.

Last time i looked Boycott's average in tests was similiar to Kevin Pietersen's which I always found interesting with their contrasting playing styles - still not sure which one I enjoyed watching the most but Boycotts forward defence (block)  was glorious .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
Gaffer58
January 23, 2024, 4:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
So can clubs actually use any calculation to announce attendance, I would have thought the tax man would be interested in ensuring correct numbers are counted for VAT contributions.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
RichMariner
January 23, 2024, 4:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Surely if the figures are categorised as attendance, then that is what clubs need to declare, i.e. how many people came through the turnstiles?!

Announcing ticket sales isn't the same. That's not telling you how many people attended the game.

How 'illegal' is it for clubs to announce incorrect figures?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
Limerick Mariner
January 23, 2024, 4:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
So can clubs actually use any calculation to announce attendance, I would have thought the tax man would be interested in ensuring correct numbers are counted for VAT contributions.

As far as VAT is concerned it will be STs sold at the start of the season then match day sales - so ticket sold basis. It’s irrelevant who turns up. But attendance should be just that - the number in the ground.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
The Yard Dog
January 23, 2024, 8:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Poojah

Dont care, its the only ground that I will never go to, should never be in the league IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
Poojah
January 23, 2024, 9:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Dont care, its the only ground that I will never go to, should never be in the league IMO.

Closest I’ve been to it was the TGI Friday’s immediately opposite. I stopped there for a bite to eat with the wife and kids on the way down to Brighton on the Friday night last year. It just happened to be a convenient half-way house and an opportunity to let some of the rush hour traffic subside.

Taking the stadium itself at face value, it’s annoyingly high quality. Not just some cheaply thrown up bowl; it genuinely wouldn’t look out of place in the Prem (going off the exterior alone). The only solace I can take is knowing they’ll never get there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
The Yard Dog
January 24, 2024, 11:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Poojah

Closest I’ve been to it was the TGI Friday’s immediately opposite. I stopped there for a bite to eat with the wife and kids on the way down to Brighton on the Friday night last year. It just happened to be a convenient half-way house and an opportunity to let some of the rush hour traffic subside.

Taking the stadium itself at face value, it’s annoyingly high quality. Not just some cheaply thrown up bowl; it genuinely wouldn’t look out of place in the Prem (going off the exterior alone). The only solace I can take is knowing they’ll never get there.

Thought they would could cheat their way to the Premiership,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › League 2 attendances

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.