Hagrid
January 19, 2024, 9:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,433
Gold Stars: 536
What do we think?

Doesnt get below freezing there today, or overnight, high of 6 tomorrow, I know they dont have the best pitch but should be game on you'd think
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,611
Gold Stars: 1,503
I'm about 7 miles from Harrogate as the crow files, and it's white over with frost this morning with the ground rock solid after a few consecutive nights in the region of -5.

With that said, the forecast between now and kick-off doesn't really drop below 3/4, with a relatively warm night with temps rising to around 7 at kick-off time.

My first thought when I opened the curtains this morning was that it might be a bit dodgy, however the forecast tells a completely different story. It will be fine.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,637
Gold Stars: 539
Topcliffe is the closest weather observation to Harrogate and it got ridiculously cold last night - https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/observations/gcwghuyms

However, 30+ hours of temperatures well above zero and rising, including periods of sun today.  

I'll be amazed if it's off.  Also be a bit gutted as really looking forward to it.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
diehardmariner
January 20, 2024, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Topcliffe is the closest weather observation to Harrogate and it got ridiculously cold last night - https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/observations/gcwghuyms

However, 30+ hours of temperatures well above zero and rising, including periods of sun today.  

I'll be amazed if it's off.  Also be a bit gutted as really looking forward to it.

Well, guess I'm amazed.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
LH
January 20, 2024, 12:13pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,534
Gold Stars: 173
No science or evidence behind this theory but I’ve always found that temperatures need to get to approx 5° for a prolonged period, preferably aided by direct sunlight, for ice/frost to properly thaw. The ground is absolutely soaking when it’s not frozen at the minute too so higher levels of water in the ground will take even longer to thaw. I’m surprised people thought it had a chance more than I am it being off.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
Epworth Mariner
January 20, 2024, 12:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +653
Gold Stars: 57
I reckon it was the wind chill the referee felt…….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
diehardmariner
January 20, 2024, 2:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LH
No science or evidence behind this theory but I’ve always found that temperatures need to get to approx 5° for a prolonged period, preferably aided by direct sunlight, for ice/frost to properly thaw. The ground is absolutely soaking when it’s not frozen at the minute too so higher levels of water in the ground will take even longer to thaw. I’m surprised people thought it had a chance more than I am it being off.

Yep, which was forecast though (or at least one the I saw).

Obviously standards of what's acceptable have increased when it comes to games getting the go ahead, but there seems to far more games called off in recent years.

Genuinely think it's time for a proper conversation about semi-artificial pitches at our level, ironically what Harrogate tore up not too long ago to gain entry into the league.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
Norseman
January 20, 2024, 11:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
But a team who play at lincs league level Harrogate Railway managed to get their game on .Very Strange .Still hopefully give Artell time to get a couple of defenders in before next week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
forza ivano
January 21, 2024, 10:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,210
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Norseman
But a team who play at lincs league level Harrogate Railway managed to get their game on .Very Strange .Still hopefully give Artell time to get a couple of defenders in before next week

went to barton v Aylesbury yesterday, which was surprisingly played, but shouldn't have been. Although the top inch had thawed it was rock hard underneath, which resulted in a farce with players slipping all over the place and the ball bouncing like a tennis ball
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Weather Watch- Tomorrows Game

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.