3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
January 14, 2024, 4:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
John is doing extremely well at Barnsley.  9 goals in 22 matches, and some assists.

He was voted player of the month by the supporters for Nov 23 and for Dec 23.  He was also voted goal of the month for Dec 23.  He scored from 35 yards against Port Vale.

These achievements in a good team chasing a place in the Championship.

My local coffee place is run by a keen Barnsley fan.  He was lukewarm about the loan from Luton.  I said that you will appreciate what he offers and the fans will love him.

Today he said that he is a really good player.  Easily good enough for the Championship.  Steady on I said let him develop at his own pace.  There are recent rumours (refuted)  that Luton want him back this’
Month. It seems though that all parties are happy for him to remain at Barnsley.  

I am pleased for him. He always worked hard (chasing everything down) and had a good attitude.
Logged Offline
Private Message
livosnose
January 14, 2024, 4:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,168
Gold Stars: 15
Looks to be enjoying his football . Terrific player … imagine him and Rose for Town ….

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
mariner91
January 14, 2024, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Watched Posh v Barnsley a couple of weeks ago and he was one of the best players on the pitch. Makes a mockery of those on here claiming he wasn’t all that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Poojah
January 14, 2024, 5:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,540
Gold Stars: 1,500
He regularly seems to stand out on the ITV highlights shows. If not scoring, he’s generally involved in the build up to most of Barnsley’s goals. Peculiar season for him last year, but there was never any doubt about his ability.

I think the most likely scenario is that Luton get relegated this season and he gets a crack at the Championship with them. What happens after that is really up to him.

I can’t wish the lad well enough.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
Yoda
January 14, 2024, 5:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
My mate is a season ticket holder at Barnsley they absolutely love him.
I said to him i told you he was a good player, i have been over to Barnsley they have a cracking stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Yoda
January 14, 2024, 5:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
I hope Barnsley go up a good club a good model for us to aspire to.
Develop players sell them on John Stones a classic example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
davmariner
January 14, 2024, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,931
Gold Stars: 79
Really pleased for him. Created a lot of memories for us and has gone down in history for the pivotal role he played in our promotion.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
Son of Cod
January 14, 2024, 6:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Poojah
He regularly seems to stand out on the ITV highlights shows. If not scoring, he’s generally involved in the build up to most of Barnsley’s goals. Peculiar season for him last year, but there was never any doubt about his ability.

I think the most likely scenario is that Luton get relegated this season and he gets a crack at the Championship with them. What happens after that is really up to him.

He sacrificed quite a lot last season for the sake of us shape. Busted his gut for most of the season but was ultimately playing in a Paul Hurst side and that was no longer geared around him feeding off Ryan Taylor. I only really remember him playing particularly badly at Swindon and there were several games he didn't get the credit he deserved, in my opinion.

Really glad to see him kicking on at Barnsley. Have a mate who is a Barnsley fan and he says he's cementing himself as a fans' favourite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
jamesgtfc
January 14, 2024, 8:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Managed correctly on and off the pitch, McAtee is an incredible talent. He needs to be playing regularly, he needs freedom and he needs to feel loved.

I imagine Luton are looking to potentially use him in the Championship next season or sell him. If he moves somewhere else and struggles for the rest of the season, his valuation will reduce so it's probably best all round that he stays at Barnsley.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2024, 9:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,934
Gold Stars: 228
Good to see him doing well. Really good player, our talisman when we came up, The equaliser at Wrexham & in the PO final will always stand out but he was great that season.

Always seemed like a nice lad who had time for everyone as well.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
diehardmariner
January 16, 2024, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
We saw two versions of McAtee.  

First season was that player with a point to prove, the bit between his teeth and with a team that was largely built around his maverick style.  As much as Hurst loved/loves a bit of structure and shape, he was very happy to let McAtee do what he wanted.  I think that's the only way you'll ever get the best out of player like that.  

He is, in many ways, a bit of a throwback.  He plays in stages, runs himself into the ground in little 10 minute spells and then stands blowing out his bottom for the next 10 minutes.  Hurst alluded many times to his need to up his professionalism a bit and he used to frustrate the life out of me when he would just sulk and throw his arms about a bit.  

But he always had that Rooney moment in me, by that I mean when against Man City (I think), Rooney's head had gone, he was berating the ref for something and looked to have lost it.  Yet in the very next second, without even taking a second breath, he pings in an unbelievable volley from distance.  That's just natural and you can't teach it.  McAtee had that, in an abundance in his first spell.

Second season was very, very different.  Largely asked to play a different role, more No 9 than No 10 for a significant chunk of the season.  I don't think he was given enough time to recover properly from his shoulder injury but also in a side that wouldn't/couldn't indulge him wandering about.  We didn't have the same relative quality in the squad and he had less freedom to float about and pick where he wanted to go.   It didn't suit him and it's no shock that we got a lesser return from him.

I personally wasn't sorry to see the second season version of McAtee return to Luton.  We all knew he had the ability in him, but it was never going to be unleashed again with us.  He'd done that.  Coming back here on loan was probably, with hindsight, a bit of a daft move.  It was too safe and he didn't need to prove himself.  I wouldn't go as far as saying he got complacent, but I feel he's a player who definitely needs a real challenge in front of him to prosper.

Higher level up, better players around him, bigger challenge, looks like he's made himself the main man and glad to see he's shining again.  Hopefully he continues to do well at League One level because I'm pretty sure we've got a decent sell-on fee attached to him.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
golfer
January 16, 2024, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,438
Gold Stars: 116
I can't remember what we got for him in the first place - can anybody help ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
Son of Cod
January 16, 2024, 6:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from golfer
I can't remember what we got for him in the first place - can anybody help ?

I think it was 250k wasn't it? Which, considering he was out contract in the summer and we got him back for the whole season, was a great bit of business. Although, I don't think that figure was ever officially confirmed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
glen2397beck
January 16, 2024, 6:30pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +4
We live in Barnsley and the fans here are very worried that they will lose him one way or another in this transfer window and it will scupper their promotion chances. Some are asking that the club go all out to sign him permanently if Luton are prepared to sell (someone quoted up to £3 million), some where dubious when they first loaned him, but hey are seeing the best of McAtee now
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
Heisenberg
January 16, 2024, 6:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Son of Cod

I think it was 250k wasn't it? Which, considering he was out contract in the summer and we got him back for the whole season, was a great bit of business. Although, I don't think that figure was ever officially confirmed.

I reckon it was 450k.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
pontoonlew
January 16, 2024, 7:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,034
Gold Stars: 176
It was 250k plus bonuses for McAtee but I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a sell on clause.

I absolutely loved him here, there’s a lot of short memories from some on here though, it was only 6 months ago a lot on here inexplicably thought we were better without him…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
Simon
January 16, 2024, 7:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Friends of mine are Barnsley supporters, wasn't keen when they signed him I told them they will fall in love with him and now they are desperate for Barnsley to sign him on a permanent deal, Luton so they say wan't 3 million for him which is out of the question for Barnsey, they also said Burnley are sniffing about and he could go in this window  

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
CSLM
January 16, 2024, 8:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from pontoonlew
It was 250k plus bonuses for McAtee but I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a sell on clause.

I absolutely loved him here, there’s a lot of short memories from some on here though, it was only 6 months ago a lot on here inexplicably thought we were better without him…

Yep I remember that mate.
I still think he was almost trying too hard after coming back from injury. The set up certainly didn't help him either. He was clearly frustrated a lot of the time but still put the effort in.
Couldn't believe people thought we could get a player in better than him. Like someone said the other day would've been interesting to see him just behind Rose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
diehardmariner
January 17, 2024, 10:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from pontoonlew

Disappointing if we haven't got a sell-on.  

Because of a variety of factors, I do think we were more often than not a better side without McAtee last season.  A lot of that isn't his fault, for example when he was used as a No 9 when it isn't his game.  But that doesn't mean he wasn't/isn't a very good player, just don't think he fitted in with how we were set up to compliment him last season.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
headingly_mariner
January 17, 2024, 10:51am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Poojah

There was quite a lot of doubt. There were regular suggestions that he couldn't make the step up to league football. He had a lack of form due to injuries, I'm really pleased for him.
We are seeing the same thing about some of our players this season who haven't been on top form but have clearly proved their ability in the past I'm thinking of Maher and Clifton in particular.
Young Conteh has come in for a bit of unwarranted flack in the few weeks before the county game after his early season fanfare, these same folk will be panicking we are going to lose him to bigs from higher up the pyramid soon.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
Jarmo.Is.God
January 17, 2024, 1:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
McAtee is a great footballer, and was vital in us getting promoted.

My son was mascot last year, and he had time for all of them.
Hope he continues to rise!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
1mickylyons
January 17, 2024, 1:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Loved him a real throwback type player no idea what went on with the Scunny fanbase but he will always be reverred here . His interview after the Play Off win was hilarious what a character.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › John McAtee making very good progress

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.