Private Message
Poojah
January 5, 2024, 2:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,561
Gold Stars: 1,500
Big month for the pies if Langstaff goes as well.

Some big calls to be made in the Meadow Lane boardroom in the coming days.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
TownSNAFU5
January 5, 2024, 3:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Helpful to us if Langstaff left in the next week.  Wishful thinking though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 5, 2024, 3:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Saw an article last week saying that they didn’t have to let any players leave for financial reasons, so obviously well backed so just a matter if any of the players are desperate to play at a higher level. Think they have already signed a couple of players this window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
chaos33
January 5, 2024, 4:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
They might not be under pressure to sell, but it would be difficult/unfair to block the opportunity for a player to ascend two levels in his career. He’s not likely to be keen to give his all in L2 if this happens is he. Notts might be financially ok, they might not - I don’t know, but all L2 clubs are selling clubs if the championship comes calling - if not for the fee, then for the moral obligation to let individual players take their opportunities.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
Les Brechin
January 5, 2024, 4:17pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
I wonder if he'll come back in for Langstaff?

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
Heisenberg
January 5, 2024, 4:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,066
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from chaos33
They might not be under pressure to sell, but it would be difficult/unfair to block the opportunity for a player to ascend two levels in his career. He’s not likely to be keen to give his all in L2 if this happens is he. Notts might be financially ok, they might not - I don’t know, but all L2 clubs are selling clubs if the championship comes calling - if not for the fee, then for the moral obligation to let individual players take their opportunities.

I thought Notts County had almost crippling levels of debt, even last season?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
CSLM
January 5, 2024, 4:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +641
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from chaos33

Didn't he sign a long term contract recently though?
I agree with you but can't always have it both ways. Might have been something agreed when he signed the contract I guess.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
chaos33
January 5, 2024, 4:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
What’s likely is - a championship level club offers several hundred grand, and he’ll leave.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
LocalLadGTFC
January 5, 2024, 4:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Heisenberg

I thought Notts County had almost crippling levels of debt, even last season?

The debt is to the owners and they are stupidly rich. If the owners were to leave then they'd be massive trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 47
fishcake63
January 5, 2024, 9:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Loaded owners fund everything no ffp in lower leagues as far as i'm aware aka wrexham stockport salford
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
Heisenberg
January 5, 2024, 10:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,066
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from fishcake63
Loaded owners fund everything no ffp in lower leagues as far as i'm aware aka wrexham stockport salford

I’ve started listening to the Price of Football podcast, and Kieran McGuire says Stockport lost 90k a week in their promotion season!

Also, the average annual loss for a National League club is 700k!! We can’t go down there again.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
Norseman
January 5, 2024, 11:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Speaking to a Coventry fan he reckons they are in for Langstaff with a view to loaning him back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
Mappers
January 5, 2024, 11:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from fishcake63

How do they get around the 55% of income on player salaries then that we were talking about on another thread - can individuals just inject capital eg shares and it's counted as income , sponsorship etc ?

Seems there must be massive loopholes for lower end clubs to be losing so much money season on season . We at least seem to want to do it the right way/have no other option ; it just seems to be at a big disadvantage to a good % of even league 2 .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
Brazilnut
January 6, 2024, 1:40am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Mappers

How do they get around the 55% of income on player salaries then that we were talking about on another thread - can individuals just inject capital eg shares and it's counted as income , sponsorship etc ?

Seems there must be massive loopholes for lower end clubs to be losing so much money season on season . We at least seem to want to do it the right way/have no other option ; it just seems to be at a big disadvantage to a good % of even league 2 .

Presumably they can circumnavigate a lot of expenses   by paying out their own pocket all stadium running cost, all office staff,  police bills,  first aid bills, electricity /gas bills, printing costs,  groundstaff  and even management coaching physio teams and then all spectator revenue and sponsorship revenue  just have to add up to 55% of players wages and then they make up the rest of that as well  

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
pen penfras
January 6, 2024, 8:47am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Mappers

Owners can literally fill in a form saying they don't want to take part and will fund the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2024, 10:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,945
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Norseman
Speaking to a Coventry fan he reckons they are in for Langstaff with a view to loaning him back

Is that another example of a delusional Coventry supporter thinking they’re massive? Not the signing bit as that would make sense but the loaning back bit, why would they do that?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
Poojah
January 6, 2024, 10:49am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Norseman

He turns 27 on the 3rd February. No way is anyone going  to pay a couple of million for him then loan him back to Notts.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
January 6, 2024, 1:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

He turns 27 on the 3rd February. No way is anyone going  to pay a couple of million for him then loan him back to Notts.

Fail to see the significance of his age!

Reply: 18 - 47
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2024, 2:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

I’m not trying to speak for Poojah but at 27 I’m not sure the value of a loan to support the players development.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
Northbank Mariner
January 6, 2024, 2:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,465
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from 123614

Because at 27 years of age you don't buy a player to "develop"....you buy him to improve your own squad.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
chaos33
January 6, 2024, 2:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
This is plainly right

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
January 6, 2024, 7:17pm
Guest User
The thing is that we have no idea what the agreement is between Coventry and Notts County.  One scenario could be that Notts County wanted him to stay to see out the rest of the season in a bid to stay in the playoffs, but agreed to the sale as long as he was loaned back to them to score more goals and keep them in the playoffs at least.

I'm not saying this is the case, but as I, and I guess you also, are not privy to their conversations, then we will probably never find out.
Reply: 22 - 47
Poojah
January 6, 2024, 7:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614
The thing is that we have no idea what the agreement is between Coventry and Notts County.  One scenario could be that Notts County wanted him to stay to see out the rest of the season in a bid to stay in the playoffs, but agreed to the sale as long as he was loaned back to them to score more goals and keep them in the playoffs at least.

I'm not saying this is the case, but as I, and I guess you also, are not privy to their conversations, then we will probably never find out.

It’s just an unrealistic clause for a player who, at almost 27, is already likely to be a depreciating asset (unless his career follows a similar trajectory to Jamie Vardy, which would be one hell of an ask).

It’s still a big chunk of cash for Coventry who have play-off aspirations of their own. If County want to keep Langstaff, they’ll need to knock back any offers that come their way in January. It’s their prerogative, as he signed a new 4-year contract back in August, but you’d imagine for a player who has flourished at three consecutive levels in straight seasons that he’d want a crack at Championship football if the opportunity arose.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
January 6, 2024, 7:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

It’s just an unrealistic clause for a player who, at almost 27, is already likely to be a depreciating asset (unless his career follows a similar trajectory to Jamie Vardy, which would be one hell of an ask).

It’s still a big chunk of cash for Coventry who have play-off aspirations of their own. If County want to keep Langstaff, they’ll need to knock back any offers that come their way in January. It’s their prerogative, as he signed a new 4-year contract back in August, but you’d imagine for a player who has flourished at three consecutive levels in straight seasons that he’d want a crack at Championship football if the opportunity arose.

I don't think it's an unrealistic clause at all, Notts are the selling club, I'm sure they would want to keep him, but realise he is an asset that can make them money via the rumoured 2 Million offer.  However, he is their top striker, scoring goals for fun, and they will want him to continue so.  They are sitting pretty in 6th place in the League, and will need all his goals to keep in the playoff places.

If they have been offered 2 Million for him, and that is only a rumour at the moment, then I'm sure they will have no problem knocking  back any offers for him that might, or might not have been made at this time.  Better the bird in the hand than the bird in a bush.  Also with Coventry sitting 8th in the Championship, I would guess that if he joins them at the end of the season, it will be as a Championship player.

Reply: 24 - 47
chaos33
January 6, 2024, 8:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I can’t see why Coventry would spend big on a player in a January window (of that age) if they didn’t immediately need him. That doesn’t make sense. If he was 21/22/23….maybe. I suspect this received idea is almost certainly false. Anyone signing a 27 year old goalscorer in a January window for big money is going to need him there and then. It’s hard to argue against that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2024, 8:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Norseman

Amazing how a post about a bloke talking to another bloke about something that’s an illogical rumour fires up such debate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
jamesgtfc
January 6, 2024, 9:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,963
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from 123614

I don't think it's an unrealistic clause at all, Notts are the selling club, I'm sure they would want to keep him, but realise he is an asset that can make them money via the rumoured 2 Million offer.  However, he is their top striker, scoring goals for fun, and they will want him to continue so.  They are sitting pretty in 6th place in the League, and will need all his goals to keep in the playoff places.

If they have been offered 2 Million for him, and that is only a rumour at the moment, then I'm sure they will have no problem knocking  back any offers for him that might, or might not have been made at this time.  Better the bird in the hand than the bird in a bush.  Also with Coventry sitting 8th in the Championship, I would guess that if he joins them at the end of the season, it will be as a Championship player.

Coventry City were locked out of their stadium and groundsharing not so long ago, so if they are spending £2m on a player, the expectation will almost certainly be for him to be a regular immediately. And then we come on to his age, we sold McAtee for six figures and it was seen as being a bit unusual for a 23 year old to be loaned back for the season. Luton even said as much when they signed him, but he was signed for much less and had the unique situation of requiring pretty major surgery.

Langstaff is 27 next month, I just can't see a situation where a club pays £2m and loans him back.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
grimsby pete
January 6, 2024, 9:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from 123614

Why would they loan him back ?

It's not that he is a young lad still learning his trade.

If he is not ready for Coventry now at 27 he never will be.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
Norseman
January 7, 2024, 12:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Well as with all rumours time will tell .If found to be false would still not be as out there as some of the rumours I've previously seen on here 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
DB
January 7, 2024, 6:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Where's Chalky when we need some inside info?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
January 7, 2024, 10:44am
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete

Why would they loan him back ?

It's not that he is a young lad still learning his trade.

If he is not ready for Coventry now at 27 he never will be.

I didn't say he wasn't ready for Coventry now.  I just offered up a hypothetical scenario which might or might not be the reason for Notts to want him loaned back.  I didn't start this rumour, it appeared on a Coventry City forum.

Reply: 31 - 47
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 10:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

I didn't say he wasn't ready for Coventry now.  I just offered up a hypothetical scenario which might or might not be the reason for Notts to want him loaned back.  I didn't start this rumour, it appeared on a Coventry City forum.

Is it a rumour on their forum now or just still one bloke talking to another?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
January 7, 2024, 10:50am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Is it a rumour on their forum now or just still one bloke talking to another?

I have no idea, I don't visit their forum normally.
Reply: 33 - 47
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 10:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

I have no idea, I don't visit their forum normally.

Ok just that you posted it was a rumour on their forum and I was just being nosy to be honest mate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
January 7, 2024, 11:07am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Ok just that you posted it was a rumour on their forum and I was just being nosy to be honest mate.

Yep, me too, just wanted to see what the fans were saying about it.  Can't see anything on the Pies forum, apart from a Thread title about Langstaff leaving, but when I click on it, I see nothing about him at all.  Maybe there might be something on another forum, but I can't be arsed to look any further.

Reply: 35 - 47
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 11:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Yep, me too, just wanted to see what the fans were saying about it.  Can't see anything on the Pies forum, apart from a Thread title about Langstaff leaving, but when I click on it, I see nothing about him at all.  Maybe there might be something on another forum, but I can't be arsed to look any further.

I think it’s a natural reaction of supporters when a manager leaves to go to a bigger club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
male private Nale
January 9, 2024, 2:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 123614

Haha dishing out unsubstantiated twaddle ..... you couldn't make it up after the slather you have been giving me. Priceless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
January 9, 2024, 4:46pm
Guest User
Quoted from male private Nale

Haha dishing out unsubstantiated twaddle ..... you couldn't make it up after the slather you have been giving me. Priceless

You really are a stupid person, aren't you!  Obviously you don't know what a hypothetical scenario is.  You should pay more attention in classes at school.
Reply: 38 - 47
male private Nale
January 9, 2024, 5:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 123614

You really are a stupid person, aren't you!  Obviously you don't know what a hypothetical scenario is.  You should pay more attention in classes at school.

Rattled, yet again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
January 9, 2024, 9:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from male private Nale

Rattled, yet again

Nope, just stating the blatantly obvious, which other posters see on here too.

Reply: 40 - 47
Yoda
January 9, 2024, 10:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
With Notts losing their manager and possibly best player are they going to be off the pace or trying to impress a potential new manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
AdamHaddock
January 10, 2024, 5:34am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Maybe some of their better players will be distracted by thoughts of their futures?

Nah, we'll still get hammered

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
ginnywings
January 18, 2024, 7:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
Poojah
January 18, 2024, 8:03pm
Vodka Drinker
That’s an interesting appointment for sure. On the surface, he’s had three seasons in management and his highest finish is 13th in the National League, albeit with an unfancied Wealdstone side. In that time, he’s amassed a win percentage of 30.61%.

Stuart Maynard’s not a name that that I’m immediately familiar with, nor do I remember Wealdstone playing particularly attractive football the season we had down there with them. I think he’s one that, had we appointed him, I think there’d be a fair few murmurs of discontent.

County have a tendency to make smart recruitment decisions in recent years, so I’m sure they’ve done their due diligence, but it’s a strange one from the outside looking in.  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
jamesgtfc
January 18, 2024, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,963
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
That’s an interesting appointment for sure. On the surface, he’s had three seasons in management and his highest finish is 13th in the National League, albeit with an unfancied Wealdstone side. In that time, he’s amassed a win percentage of 30.61%.

Stuart Maynard’s not a name that that I’m immediately familiar with, nor do I remember Wealdstone playing particularly attractive football the season we had down there with them. I think he’s one that, had we appointed him, I think there’d be a fair few murmurs of discontent.

County have a tendency to make smart recruitment decisions in recent years, so I’m sure they’ve done their due diligence, but it’s a strange one from the outside looking in.  

Win rates are relative. From Notts perspective, it's another appointment with an unspectacular playing career. Wealdstone are currently 13th with 2 games in hand over most teams. It will be interesting to see how Wealdstone perform now. I agree about the playing style, but maybe that was necessary with the resources at his disposal?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
fishboyUTM
January 18, 2024, 11:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from chaos33

I'm sure I read their debt was over £13 million not so long ago.

Maybe it's a Fenty style benign debt? You know? The one where he wants every penny back and the trusts shares.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
RonMariner
January 20, 2024, 4:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I'm sure I read their debt was over £13 million not so long ago.

Maybe it's a Fenty style benign debt? You know? The one where he wants every penny back and the trusts shares.

Talking of Trust shares, didn't Fenty promise to donate the £200k to a local charity? Did that ever happen or did he just pocket the cash himself?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Notts county

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.