2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
supertown
December 30, 2023, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,458
Gold Stars: 53
Tweet 1741056311129686430 will appear here...

Hopefully this link works, Town were a starter for 10 on UC yesterday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reverendmariner
December 30, 2023, 12:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
Yes, I saw that and couldn't believe it! Mind you, the contestant shouldn't really have got the points because his answer was "Grimsby" rather than Grimsby Town.  I'm  listening to Radio Five , with its lead-up to the Old Firm Derby in Glasgow, Pat Nevin has just told us how his great friend Ivano Bonetti believed Rangers v Celtic to be  the greatest derbies in the world!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
Heisenberg
December 30, 2023, 12:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Reverendmariner
Yes, I saw that and couldn't believe it! Mind you, the contestant shouldn't really have got the points because his answer was "Grimsby" rather than Grimsby Town.  I'm  listening to Radio Five , with its lead-up to the Old Firm Derby in Glasgow, Pat Nevin has just told us how his great friend Ivano Bonetti believed Rangers v Celtic to be  the greatest derbies in the world!

He’s not wrong - I think it’s easily the biggest derby in world football.

The Istanbul clubs might disagree, but I reckon they’re the only ones that come close.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Limerick Mariner
December 30, 2023, 1:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Appropriately answered by giant killers, Middlesex Poly (or it would have been when the team members were there), a rag-tag team of arts students, who beat the mighty Corpus Christi Oxford in the final, having disposed of what looked to be a well balanced Leeds side and a science-orientated Bangor side on the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
arryarryarry
December 30, 2023, 3:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Reverendmariner

And he looked as if he wasn't that sure. Might as well have spelt the answer out in the question and they would still have had to think about it.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Caveman
December 30, 2023, 4:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
...............and a team with Cockerell and Waters in it couldn't answer that !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
Limerick Mariner
December 30, 2023, 4:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from arryarryarry

And he looked as if he wasn't that sure. Might as well have spelt the answer out in the question and they would still have had to think about it.

Some of the questions in the alumni Xmas version are pss easy, and a few of the answers are mind bogglingly stupid. In the final there was a question about the 1923 cup final, they got the white horse bit right, said Tottenham instead of West Ham as the losers with a London club as hint (fair enough for non-football fan guess). Then the hint for the winner was a North West club - and they answered WBA! Can’t necessarily expect the right answer (Bolton of course) but appalling lack of basic geography knowledge.

The biggest gaffe in an earlier round was Trumpian though, vinegar (acetic acid) was given as the answer for a neurotransmitter beginning with A. Paxman would have been snorting with disgust.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Mayaman
December 31, 2023, 6:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Yeah,  the part about the ground being near Cleethorpes was a giveaway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Maringer
December 31, 2023, 8:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,527
Gold Stars: 185
Only near Cleethorpes? Has it been moved while I wasn't watching?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
HerveJosse
December 31, 2023, 9:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
I preferred it when Gazzas dad was the question master
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Town on University Challenge

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.