1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Neilo83
December 26, 2023, 7:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Just watched them on sky sports - absolutely criminal how conteh and efete back off their player for the second goal.
We do it all the time in games for some reason and I don’t understand why, it’s basic stuff to close down a player rather than back off him surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Heisenberg
December 26, 2023, 7:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Neilo83
Just watched them on sky sports - absolutely criminal how conteh and efete back off their player for the second goal.
We do it all the time in games for some reason and I don’t understand why, it’s basic stuff to close down a player rather than back off him surely?

I haven’t seen them yet, but for me Conteh is the most talented waste of a shirt I think I’ve ever seen. Potentially brilliant - strong, athletic, good passer - but his downsides are that he doesn’t shoot or get near the opposition box, he doesn’t bust a gut, he doesn’t pass forward - basically, he regrets the move, let’s be honest. He needs to pull his finger out.

Red crosses coming, I know, and I hate to dig out a young player, but I do so as I’m pretty sure he has great ability. However, he doesn’t really do much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
StacyColdicotts_hairline
December 26, 2023, 7:58pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 1
Ashley sestanovich ?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
headingly_mariner
December 26, 2023, 11:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Heisenberg

I haven’t seen them yet, but for me Conteh is the most talented waste of a shirt I think I’ve ever seen. Potentially brilliant - strong, athletic, good passer - but his downsides are that he doesn’t shoot or get near the opposition box, he doesn’t bust a gut, he doesn’t pass forward - basically, he regrets the move, let’s be honest. He needs to pull his finger out.

Red crosses coming, I know, and I hate to dig out a young player, but I do so as I’m pretty sure he has great ability. However, he doesn’t really do much.

That's a shocking take. He's made more tackles than any other player in the division I believe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
Heisenberg
December 27, 2023, 4:41am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from headingly_mariner

That's a shocking take. He's made more tackles than any other player in the division I believe.

I wish I didn’t feel like that, but I think everyone has a player who just doesn’t seem to do what you want them to do - mine is Conteh. I think my frustration with him is we saw how good he was in the first couple of games, but that was months ago now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
chaos33
December 27, 2023, 7:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,938
Gold Stars: 360
I don’t think he’s playing in the right position personally. Either that or he hasn’t got enough licence to move.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2023, 8:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
I think Conteh has had a tough EFL education so far. The lad had no EFL experience and around 30 or so games for Gateshead then PH put him on a pivotal position and then went on to change the mid field around him in most games, how can he be expected to get it right and showcase his obvious ability and influence games?

Behind him he has arguably a relegation level back 4 and the goal keeping situation hasn't inspired confidence but young Harvey now seems to be finding his feet. In front of him he's had poor movement and when he wins the ball the likes of Clifton, Holohan and Hunt (better recently) do a poor job at keeping it, proper tracking runs from his team mates are rare.

Some are suggesting he's playing in the wrong position, I like most didn't watch Gateshead last season so can't truly say that's right but what I do know is that he couldn't do much worse than this that have played further forward in our mid field this year.

I think people need to cust him some slack to be honest.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
headingly_mariner
December 27, 2023, 3:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think Conteh has had a tough EFL education so far. The lad had no EFL experience and around 30 or so games for Gateshead then PH put him on a pivotal position and then went on to change the mid field around him in most games, how can he be expected to get it right and showcase his obvious ability and influence games?

Behind him he has arguably a relegation level back 4 and the goal keeping situation hasn't inspired confidence but young Harvey now seems to be finding his feet. In front of him he's had poor movement and when he wins the ball the likes of Clifton, Holohan and Hunt (better recently) do a poor job at keeping it, proper tracking runs from his team mates are rare.

Some are suggesting he's playing in the wrong position, I like most didn't watch Gateshead last season so can't truly say that's right but what I do know is that he couldn't do much worse than this that have played further forward in our mid field this year.

I think people need to cust him some slack to be honest.

He's sat in front of the back four and has won the ball back more than any other player in the division. Maybe it's not him 😂

We lack any pace in our front 3 without Wilson, Pyke and Vernam. We can't hurt anyone in behind which allows teams to press us higher up, if we can't play through them they are squeezed right up on us.
With one or two options to worry them in behind this would allow us more space to play in. Rose has been great but only has Clifton who can go beyond him and he is not the fastest.  
We had loads of the ball when Pyke was on the pitch yesterday because they had to follow his runs deeper and he got in behind a few times.  As soon as he went off they were pushed up high, we nearly caught them once as Efete is rapid, but other than that we couldn't get out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
Kris2
December 27, 2023, 4:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Heisenberg

I wish I didn’t feel like that, but I think everyone has a player who just doesn’t seem to do what you want them to do - mine is Conteh. I think my frustration with him is we saw how good he was in the first couple of games, but that was months ago now.

Your frustration seems to be that he's not the type of midfielder you want him to be. He's been a defensive midfielder from the start, he does his job of winning the ball and passing it around, you and many others seem to want him to be an attacking midfielder who bursts into the box and takes shots. He's not going to turn into Steven Gerrard overnight when he's a completely different type of midfielder just because you and JT want him to. That would take completely retraining him in a new position from the ground up, even then he made not have those attributes in the first place like his shooting could be crap for all we know.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
LocalLadGTFC
December 27, 2023, 4:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Conteh is everything you want in a number 4, the problem is we don't have two players good enough to play with him. Funnily enough his perfect midfield partner was sat in the comms box yesterday. Disley would have had a field day playing alongside Kam. Gav and Hunt just are not consistent enough, Harry isn't technical enough and Green isn't good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Highlights

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.