December 28, 2023, 7:13am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That is a load of trite nonsense.

In this post, you have failed to grasp the basic concept that the manager you wanted to keep has put together a squad that has us back in danger again. This is Hurst’s squad not Artell’s.

Following PHs dismissal we went on a 7 game unbeaten run in which many posters on this site commented on how refreshing it was to see the players playing 'without the shackles on' and showing what they can actually do. There was an excitement for the squad following the excellent performance at MK Dons and then the win against Crewe.

Now we've had two awful performances and all of a sudden the players are simply not good enough or L2 again and this is the mess PH left us. Sorry, but I'm not buying that. There are certainly improvements that can be made but this squad is capable of more, as they have proven at times since the start of November.

Much as a fan of PH that I am, the football was lacking in attacking intent and creativity and cost him his job and rightly so at the time. BD and SP made noticeable changes in mindset for going forward and when DA was appointed we followed that on. The last two games however have looked every bit a PH type of performance and that - apparently - rests with the manager. You can't blame the manager on one hand for poor performances, then blame the players for exactly the same level of performance just because it's a new guy.

A few weeks back DA stated that he'd been surprised by the players, that they were better than he realised and were picking things up that he wanted or words to that effect. You're welcome to tell me that he has to build confidence and he can't say the players aren't good enough for reasons of confidence because I'd agree with it. But, again, it's contradictory to the previous manager who was criticised for not being harsh on his players.

The squad is an upgrade on what we had from last season, all three strikers have scored more already this season than Taylor and Orsi did combined all season. Cartwright is now looking an upgrade on Crocombe despite a nervy start in the cups. McAtee was only on loan and was never coming back again and the only other player I would take from last seasons squad is George Lloyd. If last seasons squad is capable of an 11th place finish then this one is capable of more than 19th.

I left at 67 minutes against Harrogate because it was crap and at this time of year I had more pressing things to be getting on with. I spent Boxing day being grumpy after a second poor showing. But whilst this forum seems to be going into meltdown about why two performances have been bad, searching for blame and dismissing our players as being not good enough, I'm going to hold the manager to the same account as previous and both hope and trust that he gets it right.

DA will be given time and frustrating as these last two performances have been I don't think this will be the norm, nor do I think will define our entire season. I think too much is made of interviews and isolated poor performances (which I'm choosing to take the last two as). If our next few weeks follow the same standard then it's not unreasonable to question the manager and the players but even being the harshest of critics on Boxing Day I don't see a reason for panic right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 138
Boonsy
December 28, 2023, 8:04am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +61
Gold Stars: 2
Frankly I believe we will see tears at bedtime with Artell as manager...  IMO he will be gone end of season. I agree with others..  he just doesn’t feel right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 138
denni266
December 28, 2023, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
It would help if we took more of our chances to put the ball in the net.. We all know we are weak at defending as a team so taking our chances are more important , As a team we do create a good fair few chances .but our success rate at converting them is very poor .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 138
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2023, 9:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Bottom line is that our results under DA have been fine till Saturday and, frankly, anyone who expected us to get something from Mansfield is rose tinted in the extreme.

Harrogate was a worry and hopefully a blip but I’m not going to go overboard when an in form team does a number on us. I don’t expect the manager to move away from his principles nor do I want him to. It would just be nice if people would stop overreacting.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 138
December 28, 2023, 9:40am
Guest User
Quoted from Boonsy
Frankly I believe we will see tears at bedtime with Artell as manager...  IMO he will be gone end of season. I agree with others..  he just doesn’t feel right

FFS, he has been here only 4 weeks, having to work with a squad of players he didn't select, and is trying to get them to play the kind of football we want to see.  Some people on here just like to moan for moaning's sake, agreed everyone has a right to voice their opinions, but posts like this, and a few others that are similar, are just absolute garbage.

Reply: 104 - 138
dapperz fun pub
December 28, 2023, 9:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,935
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Bottom line is that our results under DA have been fine till Saturday and, frankly, anyone who expected us to get something from Mansfield is rose tinted in the extreme.

Harrogate was a worry and hopefully a blip but I’m not going to go overboard when an in form team does a number on us. I don’t expect the manager to move away from his principles nor do I want him to. It would just be nice if people would stop overreacting.

When you look at the table I see why people are reacting or over reacting , many are concerned if we go again we’ll never come back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 138
December 28, 2023, 9:43am
Guest User
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

When you look at the table I see why people are reacting or over reacting , many are concerned if we go again we’ll never come back

Pretty ironic when you say we will NEVER come back when you accuse people of overreacting.

Reply: 106 - 138
Roast Em Bobby
December 28, 2023, 9:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

many are concerned if we go again we’ll never come back

that's just a completely meaningless statement based on absolutely nothing

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 138
pen penfras
December 28, 2023, 10:00am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 123614

FFS, he has been here only 4 weeks, having to work with a squad of players he didn't select, and is trying to get them to play the kind of football we want to see.  Some people on here just like to moan for moaning's sake, agreed everyone has a right to voice their opinions, but posts like this, and a few others that are similar, are just absolute garbage.

Newell, Holloway and Bignot were met with universal approval and all turned out to be excrement. Then the know it alls came along and said they knew it'd go wrong and it was obvious, also claiming they said so from the start.

DA isn't as big a catch as 2 of those and all the press about Bignot was impressive. DA built a side that were comfortably relegated in his last season in management. His arrogance comes across a bit Bignot or Holloway and I wasn't a fan of those 2 either.

We all hope he turns us into the L2 Man City, but I smell a lot of risk. Especially trying to implement total football with players that have been awful so far. Draws against Newport, Sutton, Slough and Forest Green don't fill me with the same confidence that they seem to do for others.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 138
HertsGTFC
December 28, 2023, 10:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,930
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from pen penfras

Newell, Holloway and Bignot were met with universal approval and all turned out to be excrement. Then the know it alls came along and said they knew it'd go wrong and it was obvious, also claiming they said so from the start.

DA isn't as big a catch as 2 of those and all the press about Bignot was impressive. DA built a side that were comfortably relegated in his last season in management. His arrogance comes across a bit Bignot or Holloway and I wasn't a fan of those 2 either.

We all hope he turns us into the L2 Man City, but I smell a lot of risk. Especially trying to implement total football with players that have been awful so far. Draws against Newport, Sutton, Slough and Forest Green don't fill me with the same confidence that they seem to do for others.

How does it feel to live in such a world we're you seem completely suffocated by your fixed mind set?

I'd be absolutely amazed if you could nominate a manager who we could have realistically appointed that wouldn't have arrived with a degree of risk.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 138
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell’s interviews

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.