chaos33
December 19, 2023, 3:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I pretty sure, we played the scunts away one Boxing Day. Drew 2-2? Was my first away game

Can’t remember the year and can’t be ar$ed to check right now, but I’d pick that out. Rammed in behind the goal. Big Keith scored at our end. Great day.

I also seem to think there was a Hull City away game in the late 80s that was also packed with Town. Can’t remember the score. Boothferry park. Amazing atmosphere.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
toontown
December 19, 2023, 3:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from chaos33

Can’t remember the year and can’t be ar$ed to check right now, but I’d pick that out. Rammed in behind the goal. Big Keith scored at our end. Great day.

I also seem to think there was a Hull City away game in the late 80s that was also packed with Town. Can’t remember the score. Boothferry park. Amazing atmosphere.

League cup away first round first leg wasn't it. Seem to think 0-0. We beat them with a child's screamer into top right hand corner in second leg.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
RonMariner
December 19, 2023, 4:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,718
Gold Stars: 226
Christmas 1933 takes some beating.

On Christmas day we beat Manchester United 3-1 at Old Trafford (Pat Glover hat trick). Then on boxing day we beat them 7-3 at Blundell park.

Yes, you read that right, 7-3 !  Scorers: Holmes, Glover 2, Jennings, Bestall 2, Craven.

I am not making this up.

And before anyone asks, no, I wasn't there!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 19, 2023, 4:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
To mess with the vibe...

Barnsley away on Boxing Day. Stood on an open terrace and it p*ssed down. Town were awful and we got hammered. Ran out of petrol on the A180 on the way home.

It transpired that we were so awful because Crofty had had a party on Christmas eve and a lot of the players had been less than professional in their approach to the event.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
Limerick Mariner
December 19, 2023, 4:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
As mentioned above the Barnsley 3-0 in 1979 was pretty special and was a weak before the mass exodus to Anfield for the FA Cup third round match. Also recall the Newcastle match, Mick Hartford’s debut for them I believe after his move from Lincoln, also a 1-0 Boxing Day win over Sheffield Wednesday around 1982. Funnily enough Wednesday’s sub that day was a 17 year old Tony Simmons who now lives in our village and recalls Jack Charlton asking him to warm up and laughs now at the abuse him being a ginger headed Yorkie was not unnoticed by the town fans in the main stand!

The Wednesday game was a cracker - they were way out at the top of the table. Gates had been opened at the Osmond   because of massive queues and the stand was overfull. Probably bordering on the dangerous. A few Wednesday were in the Lower in front of me and my dad and then some CBP types laid into them. Think Waters got the winner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
chaos33
December 19, 2023, 4:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from toontown

League cup away first round first leg wasn't it. Seem to think 0-0. We beat them with a child's screamer into top right hand corner in second leg.

I remember that well, but seem to think there was a Christmas score draw at Boothferry….maybe 1-1 or 2-2. I might’ve dreamed it though. I’ve had a fair few drinks since then

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
HerveJosse
December 19, 2023, 5:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
3-1 win at Man Utd on Christmas Day 1933 followed by a 7-3 win at home in the return on Boxing Day was pretty good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
grimps
December 19, 2023, 5:31pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I pretty sure, we played the scunts away one Boxing Day. Drew 2-2? Was my first away game

Yeah that was a great away day , I think we was 2-0 down too if I remember right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
ska face
December 19, 2023, 5:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Probably Guiseley away 15/16. Called off about 8am before we’d set off from the pub, I was absolutely spangled in the P&M before dinner & tucked up with a turkey curry by 5pm, just as Boxing Day should be done.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
buckstown
December 19, 2023, 5:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
The Wednesday game was a belter. I'd just moved to the north east so we booked hospitality in McMenemy's and seats in the upper. Towards the end of the meal a suited gentlemen explained that there had been a member up with the tickets and would we mind sitting in the vice presidents lounge.
Jumped at the chance but the atmosphere was dead through the glass. Still a great game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Best Christmas Matches

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.