2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
December 11, 2023, 7:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
I was just gong through a few old programmes and came across article about the Leagueliner in the Charlton v Grimsby programme dated 10th march 1973.

500 Burnley supporters who lauched the Leagueliner on its maiden trip to QPR were the first guinea pigs in a scheme to bring luxury, all comfort travel to football supporters at economy prices.

The 'Leagueliner' was equip with special equipment valued between £10k-£15k a discotheque carriage, a four screen 42 seat cinema compartment and two music carriages were part of the twelve carriage long train.

The League Liner was earmarked exclusively for the Football League – who would subsequently rent the twelve coaches out to clubs for a designated fixture. Once a team had booked the train, it was theirs for the day. They set the ticket prices and chose the catering options, tailoring every experience to the respective fan base on board.

Burnley charged £3.50 to its supporters and provided refreshments for the journey - 2500 cans of beer, 600 cooked chickens and 1000 sandwiches, which was a bit of a challenge as the club was in the dark about quantities.

On the return journey the manager and players travelled home with the supporters despite their defeat, only the second of the season, they eagerly chatted to fans and signing autographs.

Despite the initial excitement and press attention, services proved to be sporadic and short-lived. Fans couldn’t always afford the higher costs (which meant some trains would be left half-empty) and the novelty faded fast – much like the upmarket decor which was ravaged over time and never fully repaired to its plush, original state.

The feel-good vibe didn’t deter rival fans from pelting the exterior whenever the League Liner trundled into destination stations, and when complaints began to roll in about increasing vandalism aboard, British Rail cut their losses, admitted defeat, and pulled the plug in 1976 after just three years of service.
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
December 11, 2023, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,255
Gold Stars: 226
Just a few years before my time and never even heard of it to be honest.....the "special trains" which I do remember must have been the successors to this and they were anything but special and rarely made it home in the same condition it left in.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Southwark Mariner
December 11, 2023, 9:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
barralad
December 12, 2023, 10:05am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I distinctly remember the club trying to get The Leagueliner for the cup tie at Coventry a month before. We lost out and fans had to be satisfied with two special trains made up of old rolling stock.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
arryarryarry
December 12, 2023, 10:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from barralad
I distinctly remember the club trying to get The Leagueliner for the cup tie at Coventry a month before. We lost out and fans had to be satisfied with two special trains made up of old rolling stock.

Went on the Supporter's club bus to Coventry, usually only one bus to most away games but about 10 for Coventry.

Been on 3 special trains, one to Hull on a Tuesday night to Boothferry Park when on stopping at the station hundreds piled off the train and clambered over a small fence behind the stand and got in for free.

Also went to Wolves when the train broke down in Lincoln on the way and we got in the ground just in time to see us score.

Went to Bolton one time as well for a Saturday match.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
wuffing
December 12, 2023, 10:32am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from arryarryarry

Went on the Supporter's club bus to Coventry, usually only one bus to most away games but about 10 for Coventry.

Been on 3 special trains, one to Hull on a Tuesday night to Boothferry Park when on stopping at the station hundreds piled off the train and clambered over a small fence behind the stand and got in for free.

Also went to Wolves when the train broke down in Lincoln on the way and we got in the ground just in time to see us score.

Was at that Hull game. Remember commenting to my mate about the Town fans coming off the train straight into the ground! Then Kev Drinkell equalising with about 5 minutes to go to make it 2-2 where chaos ensued: there was about 6 coppers stood at the front of us Town fans and as the surge went down, one by one, they all lost their helmets. Twas very funny to see.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
barralad
December 12, 2023, 10:39am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from arryarryarry

Only special I can remember going on was to Rotherham on Easter Saturday 1982.
We tried to get on the one to Anfield in 1980 but it was booked up. Mates who did go said it arrived in Liverpool minus most of its windows.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
arryarryarry
December 12, 2023, 10:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from wuffing

Was at that Hull game. Remember commenting to my mate about the Town fans coming off the train straight into the ground! Then Kev Drinkell equalising with about 5 minutes to go to make it 2-2 where chaos ensued: there was about 6 coppers stood at the front of us Town fans and as the surge went down, one by one, they all lost their helmets. Twas very funny to see.

The train was delayed just outside Thorne so that we would arrive at a specified time, also at the same place on the way back so we would arrive back in Grimsby after closing time.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
Gaffer58
December 12, 2023, 1:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Never make it nowadays due to either leaves on the line or the wrong sort of snow!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Les Brechin
December 12, 2023, 1:37pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Gaffer58
Never make it nowadays due to either leaves on the line or the wrong sort of snow!

Or the buggars being on strike!  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Leagueliner

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.