Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sound familiar?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Sound familiar?

This thread currently has 1,496 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
ginnywings
December 8, 2023, 8:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Offline
Private Message
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 8, 2023, 8:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
I presume Roy was referring to the post Holloway era
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
grimsby pete
December 8, 2023, 8:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Lose the fans and you lose your job.

Time he retired anyway ..

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
GollyGTFC
December 9, 2023, 6:28am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,959
Gold Stars: 356
Roy’s right. This is Palace’s 11th consecutive season in the PL.

Prior to this spell they have had 6 previous spells in the top flight totalling 13 seasons with two separate 4 year stints in the top flight as their previous longest run of top division football.

And prior to this spell in the PL they had only 4 PL seasons which all resulted in relegation.

The fans have been spoiled.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 5
Maringer
December 9, 2023, 7:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,545
Gold Stars: 185
With the crazy money being spent by the bigger PL clubs, Palace have done remarkably well to stay in the competition. Hodgson is a good, if limited, manager as his long and generally successful career shows. They'll miss him when he's gone...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 5
RichMariner
December 9, 2023, 5:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
In their 10 uninterrupted years in the PL they've finished in the top half once (10th) and anywhere between 11th and 16th since.

Surviving is always the aim, I guess, but after 10 years of surviving (but also coming nowhere close to achieving anything else) I imagine you become numb to survival and start to wonder what the greater purpose is?

I've always said there comes a point when you just want to see a winning team, even if it means dropping a division. Newcastle fans know what I mean (although they wouldn't accept it now!). Palace win enough, but aren't a 'winning team' in the sense that they win games on a regular basis.

Maybe getting the chance to beat Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc, gives the fans 'cup finals' and that's enough? Not for me.

What's realistically possible for a club like Palace? If they make changes, get relegated and end up where Charlton are, they'll look back on this period and probably agree with Hodgson.

But unless that happens, his choice of word will seem unwise.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sound familiar?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.